Titanium windscreens ?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Titanium windscreens ?

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 5:48 pm

Are the units from TOAKS any stiffer that the cheap Chinese ones on eBay and other online sites?
I have an experiment in mind putting a skirt on a big pot to make boiling water and melting snow more efficient. I don't think that aluminium flashing would last long when exposed directly to the heat of an XGK or a Pocket Pocket
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Titanium windscreens ?

Postby ribuck » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 6:20 pm

If the windshield is heating up, it's too close and is wasting fuel (and possibly will also result in the gas cylinder becoming dangerously hot)
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 8:04 pm

Read the post again ribuck please.
I'm making a skirted pot, I just thought that the Titanium windscreen would make a great donor product but I have had very hot windscreens and ice cold gas cylinders all the time, I actually welcome the extra heat usually
But as for wasted fuel? The best gap between shield and pot is as small as gas flow will allow according to the expert Roger Caffin, 6 to 12mm sounds reasonable to me, open on one side for access to the controls naturally
There is a difference between a skirted pot and a windscreen and both can be used at the same time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:33 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Read the post again ribuck please.

OK, I get you now. I had thought the Titanium windscreen and the pot skirt were two different things that you were doing.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment