Save my hands.. Scrub Gloves

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:07 pm

At first, I thought... I don’t need gaiters... each trip I progressively came home with bloodier shins and so bought gaiters... Now it’s time for my hands to have a whinge after being ripped to shreds after 3 days of offtrack fun last weekend.

Im after spikey plant and sharp stabbing stick protection. I’d like cut resistance as I’m increasingly finding myself trying to negotiate steep decents where sometimes I need to grab on to something sharp (like sword grass or a thorny vine) to stop from sliding down the hill. Also must be touchscreen compatible. (digital map etc)

Recommendations appreciated and also a place where I can purchase. I’ve looked online but the type of gloves I’m after are quite hard to source in Australia it seems. There is probably a good trade store solution but Ive only been able to find wholesale requiring min 10+ quantity to purchase.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Save my hands.. Scrub Gloves

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:23 pm

Why not just cut the fingertip off a pair of riggers deerskin gloves?
While I seldom need this sort of glove when I have the cheap leather riggers has been my glove of choice; it isn't hard to take a glove off to use a device, just remember the idiot loops so they stay with the hand
$4- a pair when I bought mine last year, a few cents for the neatsfoot oil as I still had a dribble in the old bottle
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:32 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Why not just cut the fingertip off a pair of riggers deerskin gloves?
While I seldom need this sort of glove when I have the cheap leather riggers has been my glove of choice; it isn't hard to take a glove off to use a device, just remember the idiot loops so they stay with the hand
$4- a pair when I bought mine last year, a few cents for the neatsfoot oil as I still had a dribble in the old bottle

Ive been considering fingerless gloves there are a pair available at bunnings that look ok but I rather have full finger coverage. When Im bymyself there is always time to stop but when with others Ive noticed people get frustrated if your stopping to adjust gear etc on a frequent basis.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:37 pm

These look alright if they will work with the touchscreen. https://www.bunnings.com.au/ansell-larg ... s_p5810739

Wish I could find an Australian retailer (or OS retailer that ships to Australia) for these as they seem to fit my requirements. http://www.mechanix.com/the-original-e5 ... ant-gloves
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:42 pm

Some 'fishing gloves' might work.
Then there are the chefs 'cut resistant gloves'.
https://www.theperfectsteak.com.au/prod ... ute_size=M

Don't know about touch screen.. take them off to do the screen thing.. your not going to be doing screen stuff while walking anyway.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 9:50 pm

Warin wrote:Some 'fishing gloves' might work.
Then there are the chefs 'cut resistant gloves'.
https://www.theperfectsteak.com.au/prod ... ute_size=M

Don't know about touch screen.. take them off to do the screen thing.. your not going to be doing screen stuff while walking anyway.

To be honest Im frequently walking and refering to the map (on my phone) at the same time. Not ideal but as mentioned above with others you often dont have the luxury to stop.

Thanks for the glove suggestions I'l check them out.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:01 pm

I got some spiffy 'use with touch screens' gloves, that aren't good in scrub. Then I got some basic rubberised-front gardening gloves from Bunnings or Woolies or wherever, and i can use my touch screen with those. They make a big difference in scoparia, cutting grass etc, but I still have to be pretty careful, and get some stabs. Then I got some gloves dipped all over with thicker latex or something, from Bunnings, for better protection. I really didn't expect to be able to use a touch screen with them, but I can. So try out a few in the shop.
I find riggers' gloves brilliant for spikey vegetation, but horrible to wear when they get wet. And no good for touch screens of course.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:05 pm

wildwanderer wrote:To be honest Im frequently walking and refering to the map (on my phone) at the same time. Not ideal but as mentioned above with others you often dont have the luxury to stop.

Without trying to jinx anyone (me included) I'd be dropping the phone and smashing it if I tired that - it already has a few chips :oops: So now when I am using it ..I stop. Now a paper map I'm happy with :D

I think the fishing and (washable) chefs gloves would be fine when wet, they are not water proof so your hands will get wet ..but the gloves should be quite usable.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:16 pm

The absolute best pair of gloves I've had for being in the bush are Nomex flying gloves: https://www.conceptaviation.com.au/buy/ ... ing-gloves
Luckily I wasn't paying for them!

Alternatively, some of the long-fingered cycling gloves are good - give you protection without being too hot.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 7:54 am

I use these. Very cheap, lightweight and strong enough to manage Tassie scrub.

Similar brands are available at Bunnings.

https://www.signet.net.au/store/categor ... gJFwfD_BwE
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 9:01 am

Tough one to want touch screen compatibility.

Otherwise Bunnings has a great range to choose from although they removed my favourite brand when I visited 2-3 weeks ago. Still, a good range. I stayed away from those with rubber coating on the palm side as they’d be too warm and sweaty in the summer. Stayed with rigging type leather models with good back of hand breathability. I don’t have trouble in activating my Garmin by pressing a side button whilst walking. For more detail, taking it off and a quick stop is no big deal in practice. A few quick steps and the pace is back.

Another untried is via AliExpress and get a pair of combat gloves and variation of.

http://s.aliexpress.com/InAriIzE
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 9:21 am

I'm looking at new brands now as Ninjas don't seem to last as long as they used to. My last pair lasted on two short but scrubby days walks. I tried a $3 piar from Bunnings over the weekend and they went OK. Unbranded.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:22 am

doogs wrote:I'm looking at new brands now as Ninjas don't seem to last as long as they used to. My last pair lasted on two short but scrubby days walks. I tried a $3 piar from Bunnings over the weekend and they went OK. Unbranded.

The flowery ones were a revelation Doogs. I may get a bit more flamboyant with my next set haha...

Scrub gloves are essential for off track, riggers gloves are way too unweildy, not enough dexterity. I like the ninja style as they are light. dry reasonably quickly, I can use a camera without removing them and they allow for confident scrub wrestling. I usually carry a spare pair for cold nights and as a back up on longer trips where a pair may get destroyed or should I lose one.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks all. I think the ninja style are likely what I'l go for. Cheap enough that if they get destroyed its an easy replace. If I can find a version with some puncture protection against sharp sticks that will be great.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bushman_Craig » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:20 pm

Aviator's nomex gloves are touchscreen compatible, as I discovered last weekend. They allow great dexterity and the leather palm is good for scrub use. Buy a couple of pairs though... they nomex fabric will end up being ripped by your third or fourth off-track sojourn.

Like these - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCANDEX-Nom ... 2593545233
Bushman_Craig
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment