Pack Choice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack Choice

Postby Joe » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:03 pm

Im pretty new to walking (only been into it for about 3 years) and am yet to do an overnight walk. So far the cheap(ish) backpack i got from god knows where a while ago has worked fine for camera, gps, a few nibblies and hydration. However im really keen to try a couple of overnight walks in preperation for bigger things. I want to start off with a hut like lady lake or lees paddocks then move up to taking a tent as well. With this in mind and also an incredibly low budget what pack would you guys reccommend and best case scenario do any of you have an old pack that you would be willing to sell to me? I would prefer to buy a cheap 2nd hand pack to try at this stage so i can get a feel for whether overnight hikes are my thing. Silly to buy good gear if it turns out im not interested!

Cheers all,
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Postby The Caveman » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 9:46 am

Just purchased a reasonably cheap 70ltr import, only expect it to survive a few seasons but has all the features of the big $$$ units just not as robustly constructed.

Internal alloy frame, huge lumbar and kidney support, wide shoulder straps and breathable padding, it's expandable and waterproof. For $100, I'd rather buy one every two years and change with the upgrading technology than spend $500+ on this years super pack and have it for 7-10 years.

Only my 2 bobs worth.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kantonysen » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 11:21 am

Corey, I think your right about packs improving. I'm really pleased with my Macpac though, it has a volume that doesn't seem to be available in packs these days ( 90 + litres). I bought it in the mid 90s and it is still going strong. I suppose volume is not as important now as it used to be with the miniaturisation of tents and sleeping bags. But in the past carrying fly fishing gear such as vests and camera gear has meant meant my pack was over flowing. These days I just take a couple of fly cases and absolute essentials rather than my vest.
When I first stated walking Paddy Palin A frame packs were the bees knees, then there was a revolution with H frame packs being top of the range. The H frame is a clumbersome pack compared to the packs about now.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby The Caveman » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 11:57 am

Dead right Keith.

Personally don't see the need for 90+ packs, way too cumbersome unless you're flat walking. That, and the centre of gravity is usually put too far behind you and adds to the pressure on the shoulders.

My 70+ is pretty tall, so the weight is close to the body. YKK hardware, internal compartments with draw-string / elastic to keep everything in place.

My old pack was pretty good (H frame), but murder when loaded up as the weight was way too far out back (even with careful placement of goodies).

My tent and bag are micro, compared to the old lunker I used to trek about with (god, how did I survive some of the trips?)... Can hang wading boots, etc... from the million bungee straps on the bottom as well as pack in up to 4 rods with the side pockets.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kantonysen » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm

taswaterfalls, there are a couple of outlets in Devonport that sell cheaper packs. The cheaper brands they have been around for awhile. One the retailers in the CBT takes a pride in obtaining good honest equipment ( various brands) that is competitively priced.

The big brand packs second hand I would expect would sell for about the same price as brand new less well known brands. It could be worth going to the Trading Post to see if they have any packs advertised.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Andrew » Tue 03 Apr, 2007 5:08 pm

Anyone tried an Aarn pack?

http://aarnpacks.com/

Saw them at Backpacking Light 29 Somerset Place (off Little Bourke Street - Melb) http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/

Aparantely the guy used to work for Macpac but wanted to innovate. Some models have balance pockets on front of straps for heavy gear to balance posture and allow more upright walking. Also has completely waterproof dry sack and a frame that allows pack to stay stationery as body moves and only weigh 2kg or so.

They look really good but I am also considering trying GoLite product and they only weigh 710g for 70 litres. I realize they will not handle being treated too roughly but I am sick of carrying my 3.1kg pack and would love to be able to justify a couple of choices depending on the trip.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Thu 05 Apr, 2007 11:54 am

For the minute I managed to steal a Caribee Condor 80 that my auntie used to trek around the world with about 10 years ago. It seems pretty good to me...Ill give it a go on the Lady Lake walk and see.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Apr, 2007 12:54 pm

Let us know how it goes afterwards.

I'd also be keen to hear of your impressions of the walk, the hut and the area. I've not been there before and would like to try it some time.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Tue 10 Apr, 2007 2:48 pm

Well just got back from Lady Lake, will do a full report in the other forum. The Caribee pack went really well...I'm hooked now. Just purchased one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... B:AAQ:AU:1

Figure for $65 if it only lasts a little while ive lost nothing.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby tasadam » Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:19 pm

Well done on your purchase, and good luck with many overnight walks to come...

One piece of advice I will put here for anyone reading this thread is, that as has been said, you get what you pay for...
So if you (not "you" but 'anyone') plan on doing some serious walks, you need to remember that your life may well depend on your gear.
This philosophy may make the hobby ruddy expensive, but what price do you put on gear failure when you're miles from anywhere and the sole of your boot comes off, or your stove won't heat your food, or your japara leaks, or perhaps one I can relate to - your tent rips in a howling gale and you and your $420 sleeping bag get saturated while camped on snow when it rains while on Moonlight Ridge mid-winter in the middle of the night in a $200 chinese copy of a tunnel tent that belonged to a mate... and at the same time, boats were being blown from their moorings in Sandy bay and the Burnie court house lost its roof... (it was ugly)

The point is, good gear costs a lot, but it lasts and you can usually depend on it. Take good care of it and you will extend its life.
I've had my Macpac pack for more than 16 years now, it's sure been to some places and has never failed me. But I am aware that it is old and tired, and the time will come when I will have to get a new one for extended walks and relegate it to day walks...
Gees I do waffle a bit, sorry.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Matt » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 2:14 pm

Just wondering if the MOUNTINEER pack off ebay is waterproof???
Matt
Matt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joe » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 2:54 pm

i will let you know as soon as it gets here :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Return to Equipment