GST Impost

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

GST Impost

Postby Peterac » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 5:51 pm

Looking at buying a tarptent. What percentage of cost is this GST adding onto price?
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: GST Impost

Postby Zapruda » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:06 pm

10% like all GST...

As I understand it, its up to the seller to collect after July 1. I may be wrong though.

Franco should be able to answer this a bit better.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:13 pm

Does Tarptent do more than $75,000 worth of business here in Australia in a year?

What I don't know is how they'll collect the GST for low cost items and items from smaller vendors? Will we be slugged with unreasonable fees for these purchases?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:28 pm

I can't see how this is going to work...........is every overseas business that sells into Australia expected to do a monthly BAS statement????????
I imagine it will be up to customs to police this and if the purchaser hasn't been charged GST by the vendor the purchaser will likely be charged the GST directly.
I can't imagine the Australian market being all that lucrative for a vendor to want to go to the trouble. They'll probably bail out on selling into Australia which
is probably the intention of the GST charges in the first place.
Last edited by neilmny on Fri 22 Jun, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:33 pm

The truth is that so far nobody knows
If anybody knew the information would be up on the ATO website and ditto for Border Protections website
So far ZILCH
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 8:24 pm

Yes, the published procedures are only on the major online retailers, maybe that's their real target. The rest may or may not just get away with it. Do gifts still pick up the exemption? Half baked chaos and pathetic!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:46 am

Don't take this as the final word nor as a comment from TT but I don't see any change for us,TT, as yet.
In fact I haven't seen any comments from any of the other sellers doing similar volumes to us.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:28 pm

Does anybody know if there's likely to be any extra handling costs etc for items we buy now from overseas, which arrive after 1st July?? I vaguely remember them mentioning a $7 extra customs fee as well as the GST. Thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:35 pm

Tortoise wrote:Does anybody know if there's likely to be any extra handling costs etc for items we buy now from overseas, which arrive after 1st July?? I vaguely remember them mentioning a $7 extra customs fee as well as the GST. Thanks.

Your guess is as good as anybodies.
One of my purchase over $1,000 had some charge on it .. Think it was over $70. It was not a customs fee as such .. but some kind of fee for assessing the customs fee, private courier firm IIRC.

When they start charging we'll find out. Who is gona be first?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 1:08 pm

Looks like other countries and govts are also looking to retrieve revenue from this mail order economy as with this latest US Supreme Court ruling. I still recall seeing all the US mail order catalogues back in the 70s, seeing all the amazing toys. Then through the 90s made bargain purchases through them on my trips to the US and understanding where and how to buy to avoid state sale taxes, and seeing how the mail order economy grew and grew to its present size along with efficient deliveries. Well, so here comes the revenue grab and a dampener to it all.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/919776894 ... on-bhphoto

In the meantime, Chinese domestic and export mail order economy has been growing like crazy through Taobao, Tmall and Aliexpress amongst countless others. I have had the opportunity to try them out and have been impressed by how efficient they are, often with same afternoon delivery. No government interventions there to change the market dynamics.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 1:47 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Looks like other countries and govts are also looking to retrieve revenue from this mail order economy as with this latest US Supreme Court ruling. I still recall seeing all the US mail order catalogues back in the 70s, seeing all the amazing toys. Then through the 90s made bargain purchases through them on my trips to the US and understanding where and how to buy to avoid state sale taxes, and seeing how the mail order economy grew and grew to its present size along with efficient deliveries. Well, so here comes the revenue grab and a dampener to it all.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/919776894 ... on-bhphoto

There might be a large movement of US firms to the states of Delaware, Montana, Oregon, and New Hampshire where there is no tax. And those states may see an increase in employment, mail and courier business.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 2:24 pm

In the US tax is paid depending on the destination state not the state of sale
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 6:49 pm

Tax is only collected for orders made within the state. So mail order companies have long based on zero tax states to maximise their coverage. Then in the ‘00s, states like CA threatened their residents with taxes on mail orders and I suspect the current Supreme Court ruling came out of that action, a decade and more down the track. Now I wonder how they’ll enforce it but the federal agency could easily enforce collection for the common jurisdiction.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:43 pm

Its been an odd thing for forever. My dad recalls getting tractor parts shipped from the US having weird markings because there are weird rules about companies that have defense contracts not being able to ship outside of the US, so they would have to find work-arounds. We would get a lot of invoices marked with legal language basically saying "you be good now, and remit the sales tax for this on your own, be honest!" Those were both provincial and from over the boarder. All these trade things are just games others play. Canada post got mad at china post for basically taking advantage of the postal treaty. When it was just letters back and forth, it evened out, now with all the cheap electronics coming over, they were having to be delivered at a loss, because there isn't enough traffic going back the other way to compensate.

As for the no-tax states, they are already flooded with businesses. There is a town in delaware that is basically just a post-office. Lots of registered business there. But if the business doesn't actually happen there, and so there are no people (and no rent, groceries...) it really doesn't matter. Its becoming all about finding the angle and working it for the profit, the trouble is that the big companies can afford to just work the angle and not bother with the product.

I now see a pile of Ebay Aus sellers just selling exactly the same product as a china market seller, just with a huge markup. now I'm assuming that these guys are doing more than just drop-shipping by their feedback scores and their shipping time claims. So they have found a "value-add" to skim a little off the top. The good ones will survive, the bad ones will go away. And in a couple years there will be a discovery channel show about them, which will really only reward the people on the show, and further dilute the marketplace (ever actually go to a storage locker auction?)
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 11:30 pm

GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby stry » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 8:45 am

Why any overseas business would bother concerning itself with our GST is beyond me. The ATO and our government have no jurisdiction outside Aus.

Surely, the logical thing to do is simply collect the GST at the PO here, upon collection. That would mean some sort of payment being made by goverment to Auspost to cover the cost of collection which probably wouldn'nt help Gerry's cost/benefit case, but it would be simple and doable.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 10:34 am

stry wrote:Surely, the logical thing to do is simply collect the GST at the PO here, upon collection. That would mean some sort of payment being made by goverment to Auspost to cover the cost of collection which probably wouldn'nt help Gerry's cost/benefit case, but it would be simple and doable.

What about when parcels get delivered and no one's home ? There's lots of reasons this is going to be way more awkward than it first seems.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 7:13 pm

Brokered tax collection is what will happen, and the added costs will simply be a profit line for courier services. Or it would simply happen at the customs office, and the already overworked staff would then have to add that to their list of to-dos, and they would become much less effective at what their actual job is. Lots of countries do it that way, and it makes international purchasing a nightmare.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 8:50 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:IAs for the no-tax states, they are already flooded with businesses. There is a town in delaware that is basically just a post-office. Lots of registered business there. But if the business doesn't actually happen there, and so there are no people (and no rent, groceries...) it really doesn't matter. Its becoming all about finding the angle and working it for the profit, the trouble is that the big companies can afford to just work the angle and not bother with the product.

I now see a pile of Ebay Aus sellers just selling exactly the same product as a china market seller, just with a huge markup. now I'm assuming that these guys are doing more than just drop-shipping by their feedback scores and their shipping time claims. So they have found a "value-add" to skim a little off the top. The good ones will survive, the bad ones will go away. And in a couple years there will be a discovery channel show about them, which will really only reward the people on the show, and further dilute the marketplace (ever actually go to a storage locker auction?)

Across the border from Massachusetts just north of Boston, there’s a town on New Hampshire side, they do a roaring business in everything to allow Bostonians to save 6.25% sales tax. It’s just 40-50mins from Boston CBD, so just drive there and back.

On Chinese goods on eBay by local seller, what they’ll likely do is to import various items in bulk and then resell individually, thereby saving on individual tax and processing charges.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 6:40 am

GPS, I that that pretty well sums it up. What would be interesting to know is, how much of the total spend of australians is online vs brick and mortar (not counting the big shops like HN and BCF as online)
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 9:00 am

stry wrote:Surely, the logical thing to do is simply collect the GST at the PO here, upon collection. That would mean some sort of payment being made by goverment to Auspost to cover the cost of collection which probably wouldn'nt help Gerry's cost/benefit case, but it would be simple and doable.

In the land of 'user pays' the cost of collection would be charged to the user. So that $1 item you bought off ebay will be charged $0.10 GST plus a processing fee of $45. Welcome to Gerry Harvey World.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Peterac » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks for feedback.
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Nuts » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:52 pm

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Arapiles » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 12:28 pm

stry wrote:Why any overseas business would bother concerning itself with our GST is beyond me. The ATO and our government have no jurisdiction outside Aus.

100% correct. There's no compulsion at all.
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Arapiles » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 12:31 pm

Nuts wrote:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ :(

Odd ... I can't get to their website at all - are they blocking Australian addresses?
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

GST Impost

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 2:17 pm

Arapiles wrote:
stry wrote:Why any overseas business would bother concerning itself with our GST is beyond me. The ATO and our government have no jurisdiction outside Aus.

100% correct. There's no compulsion at all.

Well, have you experienced the latest bank account applications and required account information, numerous questions on account holders’ US residency, IRS and tax status. I am still certain this is Australia.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:24 pm

Arapiles wrote:
Nuts wrote:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ :(

Odd ... I can't get to their website at all - are they blocking Australian addresses?

Just tried a few locations, they're blocking HK and Aus.

But allowed connections via UK, NZ or USA.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 8:03 pm

Yeah, they wouldn't say why, just that it had been a difficult decision to no longer ship to Australia. I wondered why they couldn't just leave their site access. They do seem to get gear in 'lots', they may also be pressured by brands to not ship, an association with amazon/amazonau or some such.

PS. It's a shame, haven't bought from STP for while but it is a good place for families to kit up with mid-range, better gear at a reasonable cost.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 9:12 am

REI just joined this maddening crowd. The repeal of this iteration of the law could be a real vote winner for the current opposition [ not that they will need much extra help] in the forthcoming election.I certainly think this "rule" contravenes the spirit of the US - Australia Free-Trade agreement tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 10:46 am

Moondog55 wrote:REI just joined this maddening crowd.

Not sure what you are referring to. I can see and transact with the REI web site - I bought a couple of things in their Labour Day Sale yesterday evening - shipped though my ShopMate account which will add the GST.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Equipment