Desktop version
Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.

Forum rules

TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.
Post a reply

Best Katadyn water filter?

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:18 am

I'm looking to get a water filter because I'm tired of ruining the taste of fresh water with tablets.

Looking at the Katadyn Mini because it's pretty light.

Anyone have any experience? I'd like it to be suited to just river\stream water but able to handle terrible water in a pinch.

I won't drink untreated water, simply because I can't risk getting sick, even though it tastes purer than any bottled water...

Re: Best Katadyn water filter?

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:51 am

I suggest looking at the Ketadyn Befree water filter, which is compatible also with Hydrapak 2L or 3L "Seeker" bottles.

I personally have 1 x Ketadyn BeFree filter which comes with a 600 ml small soft bottle, and 2 of the Hydrapak 2 L Seeker bottles. That gives me 4.6 L of water, and super-easy to use.

You can drink straight out of the filter.

Or you can run it through similar to a Sawyer Squeeze but it's actually better. See review by Follow Bigfoot review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujqQVW3kWU

Best,

Emma

Mon 09 Jul, 2018 1:22 am

The specs for this says it filters to 0.1 micron particles but virus like Hepatitis A in water are down to 0.027 micron so they can potentially pass through. There is more info about various water treatment methods here

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/dr ... atment.pdf

The safest is to use both filtering and chlorine still or UV device treatment.

Tue 06 Nov, 2018 10:50 am

emma_melbourne wrote:I suggest looking at the Ketadyn Befree water filter, which is compatible also with Hydrapak 2L or 3L "Seeker" bottles.

I would second this. I use the 650ml bottle for personal use and if I am doing a lot of camp-cooking, I use a Hydrapak 2l Seeker.

Wed 07 Nov, 2018 12:02 am

I used to have a katadyn pocket which was awesome but heavy, now looking at an MSR Trailshot for lightweight hiking.

Thu 08 Nov, 2018 2:58 pm

Mongoose wrote:I used to have a katadyn pocket which was awesome but heavy, now looking at an MSR Trailshot for lightweight hiking.

I would avoid the Trailshot. From personal experience, the filter doesn't last. I have been without a filter on the trail because of this filter. If you want lightweight, the Katadyn BeFree has been an amazing filter that works faster than the Trailshot.

Thu 08 Nov, 2018 5:35 pm

You could of course upgrade to the 21st century and switch to UV treatment. The Steripen is the standard. And yes, it clobbers everything.

Cheers
Roger

Thu 08 Nov, 2018 6:03 pm

rcaffin wrote:You could of course upgrade to the 21st century and switch to UV treatment. The Steripen is the standard. And yes, it clobbers everything.

Bugs - yes.
Chemicals - no. For that a pre-filter of activated charcoal would be nice.

Fri 09 Nov, 2018 9:41 am

CoachJoshW wrote:
Mongoose wrote:I used to have a katadyn pocket which was awesome but heavy, now looking at an MSR Trailshot for lightweight hiking.

I would avoid the Trailshot. From personal experience, the filter doesn't last. I have been without a filter on the trail because of this filter. If you want lightweight, the Katadyn BeFree has been an amazing filter that works faster than the Trailshot.

Thanks for the heads up.
Post a reply