X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby keithy » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 6:29 pm

dandurston wrote:Keithy: Interesting to see the LineLoc failure. I wonder if maybe it cracked during the higher winds of the prior days and then gave out a bit later? Two other possibilities are (1) a rogue wind gust, or (2) someone walked by a tripped on it. I suppose the silver lining is that at least the LineLoc gave out before the tent's guyouts, which would be much worse. For the mesh hole, there are mesh patch kits. Tenacious Tape sells a stick on mesh patch that works well. Sewing mesh is a pain.
https://www.gearaid.com/products/tenaci ... h-bug-mesh

Cheers Dan. Didn't see your earlier reply.
DanDurston1PChile.jpeg
DanDurston1PChile.jpeg (122 KiB) Viewed 19006 times

This was the spot at the busy Torres Central campsite where the lineloc failed. Photo is second pitch after attaching the guy line directly to the fly's guyout loop. It was between two trees, and the lineloc that broke was at the right hand far side of the photo, close to low hanging branches, so that side wouldn't have been a walking path, and unlikely someone tripped over it. I suspect maybe the higher winds from earlier days may have cracked it like you suggest. For future really windy conditions, I may add an additional guy line to directly to the guyouts to mitigate any damage if the other linelocs fail.

Anyway, it worked nicely for the next two weeks of use in Chile and Argentina after my fix.

Cheers for the tip on the mesh. I knew about the gearaid bug mesh, but don't carry any on the trail. I couldn't find any in the various camping stores in Chile and Argentina, so patched it with a small circle of Mcnett's Tenancious Tape that I do carry. That stopped it getting bigger at least. I have since ordered some of the mesh tape to see how well works.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby FNM » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 4:10 pm

Love the photo Keithy! I’ve got my X-Mid but still waiting on my trekking poles to arrive - it’s been about 5 weeks so far but have at least received notification in the past few days that it has left the US! Can’t wait to put it up/take it out.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 10:38 am

This is a very long thread so apologies if this has been asked and answered. I've never owned a tent quite like this before and I'm wondering how everyone packs it? Is there a consensus view should the inner be just left clipped in place or unclipped and folded separately to the fly?
CraigVIC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 11:02 am

I just leave the inner connected all the time, makes it a quick process putting the tent up and down.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Jul, 2020 3:31 pm

Only time there's any real point to separating the inner and the fly is if the fly is wet and the inner dry and you want to keep it dry.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Sat 11 Jul, 2020 8:45 pm

Can vouch for Helinox poles!
LLB
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 7:20 pm

Out of interest, how many of my fellow XMid 1p owners also ended up going for a 2p XMid as well?
Did you replace your 1p with it? If you still own both, which do you reach for more often?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby fixa » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 8:57 am

Yep I replaced my 1p with a 2p. Loved it but like a little more room.
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 9:45 am

Think I''m going to go for it. I have some silk/nylon blend material that can be given a quick waterproof spray and stitched to the mesh so it has a partially solid inner. Still light (barely 100gm extra), plenty of room, fairly solid tent. Then it's just a matter of working out the pole issue.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:28 pm

NNW, sounds like a great plan for a partially solid inner, probably an essential for the wild part of the world in which you live.

fixa, I think I would feel similarly, loved the palatial size of the Lanshan all to myself and imagine the XMid 2p would be even more of a palace. I can't imagine being any happier with a shelter than I have been with my 1p. The weight penalty and pack size for that extra room seems marginal from what I have read, having owned the 1p and now the 2p, would you agree?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:37 pm

Well, that was all of two minutes of pondering, just got in on the drop for the 2p. I kicked myself I missed out on the first run of the 1p and had to wait so long, think I would be doing the same this time too.

The 2p does have a few applications beyond my own use too. Without the inner, I would fit the 2 kids with me in it and it is also an option if just one kid is with me or if one has a friend walking with us -2x kids in the 3f UL 'mid I have ordered , 3rd wheel offspring in the XMid with me. All for 2.5kgish.

I am sure if I end up loving the space of the 2p more that I will have no trouble finding a buyer for the 1p.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby fixa » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:42 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:NNW, sounds like a great plan for a partially solid inner, probably an essential for the wild part of the world in which you live.

fixa, I think I would feel similarly, loved the palatial size of the Lanshan all to myself and imagine the XMid 2p would be even more of a palace. I can't imagine being any happier with a shelter than I have been with my 1p. The weight penalty and pack size for that extra room seems marginal from what I have read, having owned the 1p and now the 2p, would you agree?

Yes totally. Not much of a weight penalty for a bit more wiggle room!
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 9:28 pm

oops
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FNM » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:23 pm

I finally undertook my first (and second) setup yesterday. First attempt was quite loose, second was better, though still not perfect. Inner felt a little loose along the floor too - not sure if that was my doing or whether it’s by design. I preset the pole length and think I’d be better off adjusting as required, as there was more lift/stress on one corner (by the pole) than any of the other 3 (see second photo - hard to tell but that peg is being pulled up and back).

Having not used a trekking pole tent before, or trekking poles at all, for that matter, I was apprehensive about using the metal tip. As such, I put the rubber tip/stop on the ends, which then meant they couldn’t fit through the grommet. I take it the poles are supposed to have no covers on the tips?

I was surprised by the seam across the floor. That’s not something I’m used to and is slightly concerning from a ‘moisture seeping in’ point of view. My first venture into what I consider an UL tent so the floor material in itself was a bit of an eye-opener. I can’t see myself taking this out without a ground sheet.

I lowered the poles to about 115cm and fully extended the inner peak attachments to drop the floor and create extra width. 95% of the time I’ll be using this solo, but wanted to see how it would go for 2. We’re LW pad users - 197 x 64cm. I was pleasantly surprised by the width (so much so that I think I need to double-check) but quite sure we were getting the floor width to about 148cm, without stress on the inner. This is pretty much the maximum width you can get between the poles. At this point the fly was quite saggy, but I didn’t attempt to tension the fly as I was purely interested in the floor width. Even at that width, there was still a wall of about an inch around the floor. That was great. It certainly has an impressive amount of room for solo travelling, which I’m stoked about.

Should have it out in action in the next couple of weeks so looking forward to seeing how it holds up in the cold weather! It’s been a looong time coming! Will replace the cord with 2.5mm cord and also get myself some J Stakes before venturing out. Will also just use an old footprint I have here and make it work for now before designing something more functional with the tent.

71D364D2-31C6-49C0-9B83-96645745FFBB.jpeg
Attachments
E0F404B7-FCAA-4586-B774-769A3893784E.jpeg
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 7:48 pm

FNM, well done on getting the tent set up for the first time. Seems your 2x LW pads will fit nicely, that is quite something for a 2p tent.
Look forward to hearing how you go on your first night out in it.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 9:49 am

Small front yard or ginormous tent?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 7:14 pm

Hey Dan,

Wondering if we're any closer to getting a partial solid inner for the 1 or 2 p X-Mids?

Also, I'm wondering about the waterproofness/durabilility of the floor. 2,000mm HH seems a bit scary compared with Hilleberg's 20,000mm. Or even Tarptent's 3,000. I've seen Scarps' floors fail in the same conditions when Aktos didn't. I realise that's part of the bomb-proofness that comes with the extra weight. But in Tasmania, a relatively durable waterproof floor is important. Am I being unnecessarily cautious?
I nearly always use a footprint, but if there's a great deal of water, the tent floor can make all the difference.

Thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FNM » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 4:08 pm

north-north-west wrote:Small front yard or ginormous tent?

Haha - small yard. Tent does have a sizeable footprint though! Very comfortable amount of space :)
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 6:09 pm

Looks like Alan Dixon is impressed with the X Mid 2P https://www.adventurealan.com/durston-x-mid-2p-tent-review/
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nickzed » Thu 30 Jul, 2020 4:33 pm

nickzed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tazzi » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 3:45 pm

Did anyone cop any additional import costs/GST when purchasing these? I preordered a 2P today but want to be prepared for any extra costs.
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 3:54 pm

I am also awaiting a 2p, I didn't get any additional charges when ordering and receiving my 1p though.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 5:57 pm

tazzi wrote:Did anyone cop any additional import costs/GST when purchasing these? I preordered a 2P today but want to be prepared for any extra costs.

I didn't have any additional charges with my 2p. From what I read online about import taxes etc, it seems to be a matter of luck, but I've never had to pay any extra costs when I've purchased from Drop (maybe 3 or 4 orders).
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 9:20 am

I've bought quite a lot of things from overseas since that ruling was brought in. Never yet had to pay extra.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 7:05 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've bought quite a lot of things from overseas since that ruling was brought in. Never yet had to pay extra.

I expect Customs is simply adding up how much comes from each seller, and as soon as that seller crosses the threshold they will ask them to start collecting the tax and fees on behalf of ato.gov.au, at which point the supplier will either comply or will stop shipping to Australia because it's too awkward.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Fri 14 Aug, 2020 12:22 pm

Can someone tell me if there recent xmid deliveries have been sent via USPS or has it been some other courier?
Thanks!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Bam » Fri 14 Aug, 2020 8:31 pm

Zapruda wrote:Can someone tell me if there recent xmid deliveries have been sent via USPS or has it been some other courier?
Thanks!

Mine finally arrived today via DHL eCommerce from the US & AusPost in Australia, it started its journey on 20th July..!
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby tazzi » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 5:56 am

Current drop for the 2P has finished - now showing as 'Out of Stock'.
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Zapruda » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 6:24 am

Bam wrote:
Zapruda wrote:Can someone tell me if there recent xmid deliveries have been sent via USPS or has it been some other courier?
Thanks!

Mine finally arrived today via DHL eCommerce from the US & AusPost in Australia, it started its journey on 20th July..!

Thanks Bam, I appreciate the reply. Shipping is a mess at the moment.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 7:33 am

Just received an email that the XMid 2p tents have arrived to the factory earlier than expected and will ship in the next few days. Hope they get sent via the most efficient means possible.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment