Not quite right last week A gear comment

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Not quite right last week A gear comment

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:05 am

Not a trip report as such.
I was out and about all of last week tootling around at Pretty Valley. I was doing a lot of snow shoveling; a LOT of it and other quite vigorous stuff too and nothing felt quite comfortable. My cheap windshirt was adequate and got rid of any sweat fast but I was always just a tad cold or too hot as I had taken along my UL Uniqlo down jumper rather than my old fleece bush shirt. When I got home I realised what I had done differently was not packing my Puffball vest.
I was surprised to find how much I missed it when compared to the superior warmth of the UL down parka.
It goes back into my pack for Thursday/Friday; I'm dragging a sled so a few hundred grams extra makes only a tiny difference. Maybe I'll have time to sew a new windshirt tonite, one that falls in between the UL Montane and the highly breathable Arktis. Something with similar characteristics to the old Patagonia Houdini.
Even tho I had plenty of warmth [ I also had my big Patagonia DAS clone with me] I do think on this occasion it was verging on Stupid lite and the combination of a LW fleece and the puffball vest would have been better fitted to the conditions.
Temperatures were in the range -6C to 4 C all the time, so not cold as such but well into the hypothermia danger zone
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment