Lightweight Waterproof Shoes or Boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Lightweight Waterproof Shoes or Boots

Postby crollsurf » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 1:10 pm

I have become frustrated with shoe manufacturers claims that there shoes are "Waterproof" when in fact, they are not waterproof at all. And by waterproof I don't mean 20 minutes or so, I mean waterproof as in all day.
On certain tracks, having a pair of free draining shoes/boots makes more sense and I understand that argument, but I would like a pair, preferably lightweight shoes/boots, that are waterproof for trail walking in rain and puddles.

I currently have a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GTX that are truly waterproof. They have a Gortex liner which seems strange seeing as they are a full leather boot, my feet have always been dry in them but they do get hot at times. Problem is they are heavy at 1.8kg and have quite a few miles on them now, so I'm going to need a replacement soon.

If anyone has found a pair that are waterproof, even if they are not lightweight, I'd love to hear about them.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Lightweight Waterproof Shoes or Boots

Postby Zapruda » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 1:50 pm

I can’t comment on boots as I don’t wear them outside of snowshoeing these days but I can recommend waterproof socks like these - https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/antu-b ... se/CY001-P

These are absolutely fantastic for walking through muddy places like the budawangs and in the snow in trail runners.

You could pair these with a lightweight non waterproof boot like the inov8 325 and have the best of both worlds - https://www.wildfiresports.com.au/inov- ... gKMV_D_BwE
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 3:28 pm

I've found synthetic boots with GTX liners to stay quite waterproof, (Salomons for me) but they need reproofing occasionally, with tech wash and then DWR spray. Being synthetic they're relatively easy to wash. The easier method is to coat them in a waterproofing wax like you would a leather boot, but that wears off pretty quickly.

My waterproof socks just arrived and I'll be trying them soon. Much easier to replace than boots I'm hoping, even if they don't last as long.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:14 pm

If they're Goretex then they should be waterproof (unless of course the water comes in through that big ankle sized hole at the top).

You can test them in a bucket and if water comes through then they can be replaced under the Goretex guarantee (yep, it's a real thing!), provided the boots themselves are still in decent condition.

However it's just as likely that you'll get wet from sweat.

I've had a few pairs of Asolo Fugitives and found them to be good for waterproofness. A bit heavy for many people today though (myself included - I'm transitioning away to trail runners).
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Peaksnik » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 4:22 pm

Crollsurf, I was happy with my Zamberlans too until the sole decided to part company. I have replaced with Vasque Erikson. They are lighter (in my size 13US comes in at 1600gm compared with 1820gm for the Z’s) but full leather with a rubber rand on the toe. So far, they compare well with the Z’s but it’s early days and with no wet, multi day trip done in them.
Peaksnik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 6:48 pm

I'll give the waterproof socks a try. I believe they are not long wearing and not easy to dry but I like the fact you are not limited to only shoes that are so called waterproof. And the disappointment when you find out they aren't.

Always wanted a pair of Inov8 and Salomon but they don't fit my feet. Once I get the waterproof socks I'll test them with an old pair of TNF shoes. Might try a pair of Hi-Tec or another light-weight brand and hold on to the Zamberlans for walks that require better foot protection.

I'll check out the Vasque Erikson too once the Z's die
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:06 pm

Mont bell make the 'alpine cruiser' which I have. They have gtx and come up high. However on the heavy side. They have held up to lots of offtrack walking. I did find that it did leak water where the goretex was sown into the sole. So I made up some runny seamsealer and after carefully masking the goretex with masking tape i poured it in the inside and smeared the sole and edge well. Works well now and haven't had water come in again. It also has stopped the sole from accumulating dirt and smelling.
But the boots are shanked so no flex. Only insole that worked well with it was blundstone ones. Their rather comfy in that combo.
Huntsman247

Postby Warin » Sat 21 Jul, 2018 4:36 pm

crollsurf wrote:I'll give the waterproof socks a try. I believe they are not long wearing and not easy to dry but I like the fact you are not limited to only shoes that are so called waterproof.

The socks are;
    cheaper to replace than shoes/boots
    faster to dry than shoes/boots
    lighter to carry as spare than shoes/boots

They do have some advantages. But I think the waterproof shoes/boots might be a touch warmer, important in a cold climate.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lith » Sat 21 Jul, 2018 5:07 pm

To avoid making a new thread I'll ask here

Any recommendations for good long distance walking shoes? I love my cheapy boots from anaconda but anytime my group pushes past 5km/h they get awkward to walk in and invariably rub my heels raw, probably because once they get wet, they stay wet for the next few weeks
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Sat 21 Jul, 2018 6:19 pm

Lith wrote:To avoid making a new thread I'll ask here

Any recommendations for good long distance walking shoes? I love my cheapy boots from anaconda but anytime my group pushes past 5km/h they get awkward to walk in and invariably rub my heels raw, probably because once they get wet, they stay wet for the next few weeks

Any trail runner that fits properly. Look at inov8, saucony, La Sportiva, Salomon and Altra. I get around 600km out of most trail runners and that’s mostly off track walking.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Sat 21 Jul, 2018 6:52 pm

I hope to pick up a pair of these socks soon:
https://www.dexshellaustralia.com.au/pr ... y-stripes/

Thin and waterproof. To wear canoeing inside diving booties.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment