Garmin InReach Questions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Garmin InReach Questions

Postby Andrew » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi,

Just noticed my ResQLink battery is about to expire.
Have been reading about the Garmin InReach models.

My walking trips are mostly Tassie and often around a week and sometimes a week solo fly-fishing.
This year also walking the Bibbulmun and the Cape to Cape in WA.
Plus some kayaking and some MTB trips.

Currently, I carry a PLB, Etrex 30, map/compass and mostly a Samsung phone (with Memory Maps).

Wondering if I should go for the InReach Mini to replace the PLB and have texts and weather or maybe replace the Etrex 30 as well with the bigger model InReach Explorer+ ?

What are the maps like? and especially for Tassie?

What is the weather like - I did read it is for a 6-hour window and pretty useless?

What is the battery life like?

Do they Bluetooth without any issues?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Garmin InReach Questions

Postby Lamont » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 5:15 pm

This will get you started -although you probably read it already.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27083
also
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28215
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Andrew » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 5:50 pm

Thx Lamont,

It is a tricky decision.
The other option is to replace my PLB battery.
Just have a feeling that being able to send/receive texts will be worth it and especially if the weather texts are useful and if the maps are OK for Tassie maybe the bigger model.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 7:10 pm

The weather texts will give you quite a bit of "basic" (there is also a detailed marine report possibility) info from the Dark Sky site. I have compared it with BOM local to where I was several times and it was all but identical. You get both forecast and current wind speed/%rain likely/temp/barometric I think four hour blocks for nearly 3 days from memory (the third day is very general -but okay) on the"basic" and costs one message. Someone else commented on the maps.I don't know enough about them to comment.
As I said for me right or wrong, it has replaced the plain PLB.
Outside phone range, send texts and emails via the Garmin SE and gratified each time the little squawk went off telling me -message received.
Just check the plans if you go with it, to see what you want will cost-you saw my el cheapo questions?
$20 a month and I use it every weekend on day walks, overnights-whatever. Overnights I send a preset at 8am, 12 and 8pm.
My kids reckon it's hilarious to see my exact location on a map on their email.
But as someone recently said elsewhere, you weigh your options and judge as best you can. I am not fussed with maps I would get something on my phone or (or later bluetooth Garmin) or paper it. Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment