Personal location beacon

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Personal location beacon

Postby Vicy » Tue 07 Aug, 2018 9:44 pm

What personal location beacon does everyone ues? Are you able to use a second hand one? Can you use it over seas?
Vicy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Personal location beacon

Postby keithy » Tue 07 Aug, 2018 10:44 pm

If you pop over to the Techno Babble viewforum.php?f=21 forum, there are a few threads on PLBs and the pros and cons of various.

PLBs may be used in some countries overseas, but not all. Some countries do not allow use of PLBs like Czech when I last checked.... (but they allow you to possess). Some countries only allow PLBs for maritime use (like Portugal), and some countries require a license to operate PLBs (like Norway).

I think these might have changed though. When I checked for Norway, I was told that PLBs needed a license, but the licenses were only for Norwegians https://eng.nkom.no/technical/equipment ... or-beacons. I couldn't find out what happens when foreigners bring in their own PLBs. I think Suz posted about asking about PLBs in Scandinavia in another thread in Techno Babble.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment