Thoughts on Heat Exchange Pots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thoughts on Heat Exchange Pots

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm curious to see what people think about pots with heat transfer fins.
I've always just used regular pots. But I've pretty much worn the oxide coating on my pot. So time to think about a new one.

Came across the 'Terra Weekend HE' pot and am wondering if anyone has discovered any cons to the heat transfer fins.
Has anyone experienced if the added distance of the pot from the flame affects the performance in say windy weather?
Attachments
OPTIMUS TERRA WEEKEND HE-18_0.png
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Thoughts on Heat Exchange Pots

Postby jdeks » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:22 pm

Really really good at boiling liquid.

Rubbish at everything else.

I love my bacon and eggs so mine went to the fleamarket pretty quick
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby crollsurf » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:43 pm

A wind shield might be a better, lighter, more flexible option.

Definately with UL pots they dont spread the heat as well as heavier pots. Other than that, I dont the science behind it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 3:14 pm

MarkF did some tests on his heat exchange pot a while back - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11422&p=151758 I missed out on buying that Firemaple pot from him when he put it up for sale, so I ended ordering that exact Firemaple 1L pot elsewhere.

I've also done some tests comparing it against my short fat aluminium and titanium pots, using the same stove but can't find the pics and results anywhere at the moment.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby robbieb » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:45 pm

I have that pot set. I've cooked a steak in the lid and it was great. I like how quick it boils water. I think it boils water between 1-2 minutes faster than a normal pot
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby skibug » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:23 pm

I have a similar pot - the Olicamp XTS Pot 1 litre - and have both seen reviews, and tested myself, indicating improved performance of around 25 - 30% - ie. that much faster, and that much less fuel used, for a given quantity of water. Their design has nothing to do with spreading heat evenly, but is instead intended to increase the surface area of metal exposed to the flame, thus absorbing more heat which is in turn transferred to the pot/liquid.

The trade-offs are price and weight. Price is reasonable these days, especially from overseas suppliers. The weight penalty needs to be looked at in terms of the trade-off with fuel weight. If the pot weighs (say) 100 grams more than your regular 1 litre pot, it is only worth it if you save 100 grams or more of fuel weight due to the higher efficiency. The values will depend on fuel/stove type etc, but as a broad generalisation the break even point is around 30 litres of water (or 15 litres of snow melted and brought to the boil). This is more likely to occur on longer trips, and with bigger parties. On four day backcountry ski trips with a party of 4, it definitely saves some weight - though not much per person.

The heat exchange pot will probably perform the better in moving air, but both will be MUCH better with a suitable windshield.

See:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11422

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... nger-pots/

Skibug

crollsurf wrote:

I'm curious to see what people think about pots with heat transfer fins.
I've always just used regular pots. But I've pretty much worn the oxide coating on my pot. So time to think about a new one.

Came across the 'Terra Weekend HE' pot and am wondering if anyone has discovered any cons to the heat transfer fins.
Has anyone experienced if the added distance of the pot from the flame affects the performance in say windy weather?
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:40 pm

I asked the same question myself over at BPL
The consensus was that it makes sense with bigger pots/bigger groups and extended trips but not for short walks or small pots.
Good windshields are lighter and more flexible in their usage.
For melting snow a skirted pot is better but those are a DIY thing currently, as nobody is making them at the moment in sizes and weights suitable for bushwalking.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 10:30 am

Hmmm.... Sounds like its not going to be much of a benefit to myself then. I generally don't consolidate cooking gear.
Does anyone know where I can get a 900 ml pot like the above pic without the heatsink but with measurements etched in?
Huntsman247

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 1:04 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Hmmm.... Sounds like its not going to be much of a benefit to myself then. I generally don't consolidate cooking gear.
Does anyone know where I can get a 900 ml pot like the above pic without the heatsink but with measurements etched in?

That same pot or very similar is available from Optimus without the heatsink, from Paddy Palin or online.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 2:29 pm

CasualNerd wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:Hmmm.... Sounds like its not going to be much of a benefit to myself then. I generally don't consolidate cooking gear.

That same pot or very similar is available from Optimus without the heatsink, from Paddy Palin or online.

Also ALDI when they have the outside sales.
I do think a pot which is more squat [ wider / less tall] uses much less fuel and heats faster at the same time
It is very easy to make a mark at various levels by using a blunt nail and a small hammer
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 3:47 pm

CasualNerd wrote:

Yeah but it's much smaller. You can't fit a 230g canister inside. The other optimus pot is only 0.6L
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 3:52 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
CasualNerd wrote:

Also ALDI when they have the outside sales.
I do think a pot which is more squat [ wider / less tall] uses much less fuel and heats faster at the same time
It is very easy to make a mark at various levels by using a blunt nail and a small hammer

I think your right about the wider pot. As for the marking however I don't want to damage the oxide coating to expose the aluminium. Not the most healthy thing.
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 4:03 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:I think your right about the wider pot. As for the marking however I don't want to damage the oxide coating to expose the aluminium. Not the most healthy thing.

It shouldn't do that, but anyway the oxide comes back almost immediately and the risks posed by aluminium are greatly over-exaggerated.
You get more aluminium in your system by crunching a Quik-Eze than in a lifetime of cooking
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 4:26 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:As for the marking however I don't want to damage the oxide coating to expose the aluminium. Not the most healthy thing.

And it makes it harder to clean up. But a solution is at your finger tips.

Mark your spoon/fork/etc with the required heights for the volumes you want.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:30 pm

Warin wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:As for the marking however I don't want to damage the oxide coating to expose the aluminium. Not the most healthy thing.

And it makes it harder to clean up. But a solution is at your finger tips.

Mark your spoon/fork/etc with the required heights for the volumes you want.
Ok that is not a bad idea at all.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:42 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:I think your right about the wider pot. As for the marking however I don't want to damage the oxide coating to expose the aluminium. Not the most healthy thing.

It shouldn't do that, but anyway the oxide comes back almost immediately and the risks posed by aluminium are greatly over-exaggerated.
You get more aluminium in your system by crunching a Quik-Eze than in a lifetime of cooking

It won't come back by itself to anodise aluminium you an electric current and acid. It's not as simple as a patina on metal.
And although minimally bad for you, I personally want to reduce the amount or harmful things I eat/expose myself to. Lots of small amounts of harmful things compound to something more substantial.
Huntsman247

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 7:23 pm

MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 8:24 am

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:Takes a month or 2 too get to here but this is what I use https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camping-Hiking-Foldable-Cookware-Set-Pot-Pan-O4W1/253287835668?epid=1171037027&hash=item3af921a814%3Ag%3A-6sAAOSweM1aIMZy&_sacat=16034&_nkw=hiking+pot&_from=R40&rt=n and fits 230gm canister.Also has markings on it.
Awesome! Thanks for the linky. Just ordered one.
Huntsman247

Return to Equipment