New micro lantern purchase

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New micro lantern purchase

Postby The Caveman » Mon 17 Dec, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi all, looking to purchase some more goodies over the break and the micro lanterns have caught my eye.

All Goods in Launceston have the Kovea Observer Lantern, which on face value seems to be good enough for most small trips. Output is rated at 50 lux, which is ok for me.

I've seen the Snow Peak Gigapower, which looks flimsy by comparison for the same price.

Bit of aimless browsing has turned up info on the Northern Lights "Sundog" lantern, looks very similar to the Kovea and price is good too.

Getting to the point, I've been living without a lantern (LED torch has done the deed so far) but just can't help myself and now find I'm on the hunt for something new.

Opinions? Pitfalls? Experiences with these micro lanterns?
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: New micro lantern purchase

Postby tasadam » Tue 18 Dec, 2007 3:38 pm

Calling all gear freaks... Corvus where are you? Surely you have 7 of these and can help... :)

My opinion is I haven't used a lantern device for light, always been happy with my LED head torch.
Some people had lantern-y type lights in the huts on the overland track and they were useful there.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Wed 19 Dec, 2007 5:10 pm

contrary to what some members think I dont own but one single solitary gas lantern :( however it is of cource the "rolls royce" model Brunton Liberty which has 80 watt light output a platinum element and 6 hours burn time on a full cannister :)
it is not suitable for use in any hike tent but good for camp site and hut use and doubles up as a room heater at home on cold and frosty mornings :D
my only comment on the other micro lanterns is that the elements tend to be vulnerable as does the glass ,depending on model choice.
when you decide on one and give it a good trial and let us know I may well rectify the sad situation of only owning one micro lantern (just got sprung sorry wife says I am a stove collector and dont need two lanterns Shhhs dont tell her about my headlght collection) :wink:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby sarge » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 8:15 am

I prefer head torch but have used my headroch as a makeshift lantern by attaching it to the roof of the tent. I can see the benefits of having something like this.

On a side note I saw advertised recently a device that turned a nalgene waterbottle into a lantern by inserting your headtorch into the lid. The full water bottle (obviously needs to be a clear bottle) then reflects the light off the water. I thought this was a good idea.
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Joe » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 3:52 pm

sarge wrote:I prefer head torch but have used my headroch as a makeshift lantern by attaching it to the roof of the tent. I can see the benefits of having something like this.

On a side note I saw advertised recently a device that turned a nalgene waterbottle into a lantern by inserting your headtorch into the lid. The full water bottle (obviously needs to be a clear bottle) then reflects the light off the water. I thought this was a good idea.

that is an awesome idea. it would almost make me fork out the somewhat silly cost for a waterbottle that naglene ask...
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby tasadam » Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:46 am

sarge wrote:I saw advertised recently a device that turned a nalgene waterbottle into a lantern by inserting your headtorch into the lid. The full water bottle (obviously needs to be a clear bottle) then reflects the light off the water. I thought this was a good idea.

Seen 'em on ebay... or was it Jaycar? Water bottles with built in lights in the lid... But I didn't like the idea of having batteries in the lid of my waterbottle.
Sticking the head torch in could work... Good idea!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Joe » Thu 27 Dec, 2007 5:46 pm

bought myself a little 5 led lantern today. was impulse buy whilst getting my hat and gaiters. its a touch heavy (4 AA batteries) but i can remove some superfluous bits to get weight down. overall it puts out a sweet amount of light for something the size it is. much better spread of light than any torch
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby The Caveman » Fri 04 Jan, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi gents, had the opportunity to acquire a Brunton Liberty at Christmas from a trekker recently returning from NZ that never got the chance to use it there.

Bargain at $80 delivered the local general store (no home deliveries out here!).

Brand new, never fired up.

Will test out next weekend when I'm back up top, gave it a test fire in the kitchen upon arrival and whilst it's not the most blindingly bright light it puts out a good spread. The fact it has no glass or flimsy mantle to worry about was the determining factor in the purchase. Looks pretty gucci too.

Corvus, you'll just have to go and buy a glass unit to add to your collection and see how you go with it. Might do the same for some 4wd based camping and leave the Brunton to back country activities.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 04 Jan, 2008 5:23 pm

Caveman WHAT a BARGAIN --the light from the Liberty is brighter than you may think and you will need to adjust the air to gas ratio till you get a really white light(avoid direct eye contact) and as I have stated previously they do get really hot ,so much so that I am investigating some sort of trivet that will enable me to boil a billy over it :) As to glass and fragile mantles BTDT and the only other lantern I use now is my candle powered EUCO which is reasonable safe in my tent.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Fri 04 Jan, 2008 6:52 pm

Just revisited the Liberty in my brain and I think it looks like a Satellite what do you think caveman
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby The Caveman » Fri 04 Jan, 2008 7:04 pm

Strangely enough, I did get that "Sputnik" feeling when I opened the box.

The web site and manual don't adequately show the unit in it's true guise.

Certainly looks bulletproof. Very impressed with the construction (as with all Brunton gear), and yes, will be looking at some form of overhead rack for use as a billy boiler. Chucks out a huge amount of heat.

Dunno what they retail here for, but at US$120 plus tax plus shipping I'd expect they'd fetch $180-$200 rrp.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 04 Jan, 2008 7:21 pm

I paid $93.50 inc shipping the closeout price was $72.00 so a bit dear on shipping( all US dollars) which was a bargain back then but yours was a bloomin steal,let me know what you come up with a "stove stand" and who knows we may make a killing selling the idea to the masses :wink: BTW Sputnik does that age you??
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby The Caveman » Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:17 pm

Dunno about the Sputnik, but was born just after Neil tap danced on the moon.

I'm back up behind Great Pine Tier and also slating another wander and fish up Lees next weekend, so can give it a full "field test".

Did notice with a drop in pressure from a 1/2 full cannister that it gets the hiss and crackles up, but a minor tweak of the air/gas mix settled that down pretty quickly. Between my LED tent torch, glow sticks and the Brunton, I'd reckon I've got my possible emergency lighting needs covered. Pulled out of the pack, couple of twists on the fuel cell and one crack of the piezo and we were away. Can't get any easier than that. Did a good job in the wind too. Wasn't fearful of a blow-out at all... And it was a touch "breezy" last weekend.

Looking at some of the MSR stainless pots, I reckon I could form up a suitable folding frame to perch a pot over the top to cover both needs. That's on the agenda for March.

Also thinking of some additional reflectors in polished stainless, but am dubious of their possible benefit. Also reflected heat may become a problem.

In all, beats the hell out of a glass/mantle unit hands down. Did a 4wd trip last weekend, and even getting the LPG lantern out of the box had to contend with a destroyed mantle to begin with before getting some light on the subject. Certainly has a softer existence than would be given to any of my pack gear, so a wise choice to steer clear of those micro units. That, and stuffing about with a mantle the size of a marble in the cold would have "knobs on it" pretty quickly.

Value for money - well, that's relative. In my case, luck was on my side.

How much would you pay for something that was near bulletproof out of the box? For a long trek, between a LED unit and a gas lantern you've got both covered.

And it does have that "gucci" factor I'm keen on... :wink:
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment