Macrolight

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Macrolight

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 6:21 am

Nuts wrote:With the nallo the option is there but almost never used (except sometimes to divide the weight between 2).
Only ever separated the inner from the outer on the Nallo2 for cleaning / drying after a walk. Once.
On a walk I will sometimes separate the inner from the outer at the doorway to make a larger sheltered cooking area.
A useful feature of a tent.

Re tent packing, I have a Macpac pack with a zip-section at the bottom (Cascade). I stuff the tent in there with the Tyvek sheet and the pegs, and roll the pole bag into the map - I laminate and roll all my maps, and store on the side of the pack with the camera tripod. Initially I thought I would never use the zip-section at the bottom, but this system has been working well.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 5:33 pm

mpe wrote:It's a bit hard to tell based on one photo (hello macpac website!), but I don't see how you're supposed to get into the Macrolight when the rain is coming down hard without getting your bed wet - the door looks to open over the floor.

I was kind of looking forward to seeing this tent, but I don't really see where its niche is. At 2KG the Hilleberg Nallo 2 has a non-bed-wetting door design, and I think more internal volume, and it's a Hilleberg :wink: And then there's lighter tents like the Big Agnes Copper Spur, which has more vestibule space and a more protected door, or the not so light but much cheaper REI Quarter Dome.

It does look like it might be good in the wind?

Hard to tell about the doors but i suspect that the outer door open overs the vestibule space and that the inner wall is then vertical???

Wind performance of the Minaret (for example) should be better because the poles are shorter and the span between the poles is less.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 7:57 pm

Franco wrote:sthughes
Inevitably when corrects someone else he makes some mistakes himself.

It's called The law of Recursive Pedantry.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby blacksheep » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 7:14 pm

Maelgwn wrote:
mpe wrote:It's a bit hard to tell based on one photo (hello macpac website!), but I don't see how you're supposed to get into the Macrolight when the rain is coming down hard without getting your bed wet - the door looks to open over the floor.

I was kind of looking forward to seeing this tent, but I don't really see where its niche is. At 2KG the Hilleberg Nallo 2 has a non-bed-wetting door design, and I think more internal volume, and it's a Hilleberg :wink: And then there's lighter tents like the Big Agnes Copper Spur, which has more vestibule space and a more protected door, or the not so light but much cheaper REI Quarter Dome.

It does look like it might be good in the wind?

Hard to tell about the doors but i suspect that the outer door open overs the vestibule space and that the inner wall is then vertical???

Wind performance of the Minaret (for example) should be better because the poles are shorter and the span between the poles is less.

you'll find the macrolight very stable. because of the pitch system tying the DAC poles to the inner and 2 crossover points there is ready load trasference onto 2 poles at all times..you'll find that it handles wind loads better than it's little brother - I haven't tested against a tunnel design but it ought to be better in shifting wind conditions.
Last edited by blacksheep on Wed 21 Oct, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Franco » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 7:51 pm

Scavenger
In this case it was all in good fun.
I tend to find my own mistakes when I read some of my old posts, however proofreading my own writing is not my strength.
Of course the problem is that we read what we think we have written not what we have.

Anyway glad to see that Macpac has lighter shelters now...
I will have to inspect the Microlite because the inner "sits" differently (in the brochure) . Maybe less sag now.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby daveintas » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 6:03 pm

Went in to Macpac (Hobart) today as they finally got this tent in stock yesterday. Firstly, swift pitch (despite what is said on MP's website and by previous posters) does not mean integral pitch, it is inner first then fly (according to my observations of the tent and info from MP staff). It has the typical US design - clips on the inner to attach to the poles with the fly being thrown over. This immediately lost my interest but further disappointment was the door opening over the inner (yes mpe, it does look like it would get your bed wet in heavy rain), the slope of the fly over the vestible restricting cooking area (wouldn't be very safe) and the fly sitting very close to the inner in a few places. All up, not a very good tent IMO. Bought a minaret instead. Still, I believe, one of the best designed tents on the market. My old Eureka Polar Storm tent (about 3.8kg) has got a leaky floor, I expect it to be many years (i.e. never) before this happens to the minaret!

Dave.
daveintas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alpinelad » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:12 pm

Had a look at a set up macrolight in the Hobart store today - Sorry Macpac, but you have got it wrong. The roof design will not shed rain or snow causing it to drop and draw the two poles together, stretching the fly walls. The door is fully open to the elements when you unzip the fly, I can not see how you could cook in bad weather. Also the floor is too thin and will not wear well - I can see that they wanted to drop the weight but at what expense!
alpinelad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Equipment