Not a lot of hot weather hiking boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Not a lot of hot weather hiking boots

Postby trekker76 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 1:55 am

going into camping or hiking stores I notice its become difficult to get basic hiking boots for hot/wet weather, as almost everything is waterproof these days or highly padded, both can be problematic if you are trekking in extreme heat + groundwater for long periods. I have been scouring for older school boots lately , single thickness leather or canvas/ mesh style, with drainage grommets that don't hold weight or can dry out quick. There are the highend military styles but they set you back $300+ and really a basic hot weather boot needs not be any more expensive than a basic safety boot. If anyone knows any good brands would be interested to hear. :)
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Not a lot of hot weather hiking boots

Postby johnrs » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 8:59 am

Heh T76
Agree with you there,
Rossi made some single skin leather boots if you can find them
and also Redback Alpines but their soles are a little slippery
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 9:19 am

https://www.salomon.com/au/product/x-ul ... cle=401274

I have been the Salomon aero for years now. If they fit your feet they will work well.

I have used them in SA walking almost every day, across the Larapinta and any walking in NT etc.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 9:47 am

How about KEEN Arroyo II? Fully fenestrated but with excellent toe/heel protection. Shoe styled but more than good enough for serious walking.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby norts » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 10:51 am

I hiked the AT,PCT with Merrel Moabs( not the waterproof ones) and now am a convert to Altra Lone Peaks 3.5 which I used on the CDT this year. I got onto them because so many long distance hikers are using them in the US. I use the mid which is a bit harder to find
I did just over 500 miles with my first pair through a lot of snow and river crossings. They still have a a couple of hundred miles in them.
I cant make a personal recommendation on using them in real heat but a lot of the long trails in the US are through the desert. They drain well and dry fairly quickly.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 11:59 am

Hi norts, thanks for the info of the Moabs and the Altras.

I use the non waterproof Moabs for general use, not much for hiking. They are ok, but the Salomon more comfortable for my feet. Might have a go on the Altras in a while, have a new pair of Salomons and should start using them! :)

These have been almost daily used since March 2016 and between 1800 and 2000km over the whole time.

Wouldn't use these worn ones for trips but still use them daily waiting for them to fall apart but they haven't!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby warnabrother » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 1:59 pm

another Altra Lone Peak convert here.. summer or winter.. rain, hail and shine

won't ever be going back to boots
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby trekker76 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 2:52 pm

thanks there are some interesting options. I'd like high ankle so you don't lose the boot in mud and creek sand, also really prefer boots in this case. Fabrics will struggle in coastal swamp/rainforest where its 5 sided abrasion to boots. $120-150 basic leather or canvas with decent tread would be my ideal.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 6:04 pm

Totally agree with your observation Tekker76 - there is a very poor selection of hot weather boots.

Though I do think the range has gotten slightly better in recent years - possibly as you mentioned the demand for hot weather military boots.

I gave up on finding reasonable hot/humid weather boots years ago and went to trail runners (worn with ankle braces). I'd prefer a good, fully drainable but light boot however. I am not a fan of the leather options as the full don't breath well (even if they have drainage vents) and even the part leather ones are liable to absorbing too much moisture.

Still haven't found the solution but I am considering trying the Inov8 Roclite 325 (non-goretes). I have the Roclite 290s currently (very similar but shoe instead of boot) and have been very happy with them.

I've been through a few models of Inov8 trail shoes and haven't had any issue with abrasion killing the material (of course they don't last as long as leather boots would generally). Only issue earlier this year was the sole partly delaminated on the last day of the Western Arthurs. I don't consider that a major issue - these were my 'cold weather' shoes which are half a size larger (to take thicker/warmer socks) than my regular hot climate shoes. They were a few years old and had been sitting in the cupboard too long slowly deteriorating. The endless mud on the last day of the Western Arthurs sucked half the sole off one shoe.

Can say no issue with shoes with good heel cups getting sucked off your foot - however you do get a fair bit of mud inside the shoe.
nq111

Postby trekker76 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 12:41 am

Nq111 I assume that's North QLD? so you know what I am talking about then. There is a bit of a difference between say QLD dry woodland and pushing through rainforest, mangroves etc. There isn't really a great solution but some more basic styles in lower price ranges( which is all they need to be) would be great. I looked at palladiums at one point, the old French combat boot which has been revived by various companies. its durable light canvas and thick rubber treads, unfortunately not a great sizings for wide feet so I couldn't find a match. I might take a look at the roclites you mentioned, they have a slightly higher ankle and seems to be some special going for under $200.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 5:19 am

Innov8 roclite narrow footbox, but feel like a pair of slippers
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment