Hilleberg Rogen

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hilleberg Rogen

Postby craigw » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi all,
I have spent a month or more researching for a new tent and I've basically come down on the Hilleberg Rogen for a number of reasons. My MSR Hubba Hubba lost all its water proofing and the company were less than helpful so no more business from me. Obviously the price of the Rogen is steep and I have agonised over it but I figure it will be a quality piece of kit. The only thing stopping me getting the thing is the height of the base of the fly off the ground. Looking at it, I cant help but think that anything other than vertical rain would get under and into the non-waterproof inner, despite the higher bathtub. Has anyone had any experience with this tent in the rain. Actually, how has it performed in any conditions would be handy to know.

Basically, can someone tell me its going to be alright!

Cheers
C
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Hilleberg Rogen

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 4:06 pm

I think you can purchase new Hubba Hubba flys from AliExpress but I too have found MSR less than outstanding on a few occasions. Reading the blurb the Rogen is not a 4th season tent
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 8:50 pm

You could buy two new Hubba Hubbas for approx the price of a Hilleberg Rogen!

Hilleberg tents are solidly made, but their "Yellow-label" tents all have high-cut flies. You would need to go to their "Red-label" tents to get flies that go to the ground.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 11:27 am

craigw wrote:Hi all,
I have spent a month or more researching for a new tent and I've basically come down on the Hilleberg Rogen for a number of reasons. My MSR Hubba Hubba lost all its water proofing and the company were less than helpful so no more business from me. Obviously the price of the Rogen is steep and I have agonised over it but I figure it will be a quality piece of kit. The only thing stopping me getting the thing is the height of the base of the fly off the ground. Looking at it, I cant help but think that anything other than vertical rain would get under and into the non-waterproof inner, despite the higher bathtub. Has anyone had any experience with this tent in the rain. Actually, how has it performed in any conditions would be handy to know.

Basically, can someone tell me its going to be alright!

Cheers
C

in my opinion if you are going a Hillberg and two person why not go for a cheaper but better option, that would be the Hilleberg Anjan GT https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/hilleb ... easo/16311 for the cheaper price you get a big vestibule compared to the Rogen, same sleeping capacity and better fly IMO. You lonly lose .1m2 with my suggestion.

I have recently bought a Hilleberg Kaitum 3 GT, it was my first Hilleberg and the same I hesitated at the price but hey they are awesome tents. My recommendation is get the footprint when you buy either.

Food for thought
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment