Brunton Pocket Transit

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Brunton Pocket Transit

Postby Tommydoodle » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi

I've used Silva and Suunto compasses for most of my bushwalking over the years, but recently bought a second hand Brunton Pocket Transit on the basis of their reputation. They're made with geologists in mind, but I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge of navigation by using different tools.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I think I may have bought a dud. beneath the needle there is a damping cup, and it seems the needle itself does not move freely. Although I can't see if it clips the cup.

It seems to either stay in position, or move in 30 degree increments before stopping. Unless there is something about these compasses that only geologists know, I suspect that I've bought a dud.

Anyone got one of these?

Cheers
Tommydoodle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment