Zipper size for one person bivy tent?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Zipper size for one person bivy tent?

Postby domonic » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 1:18 pm

What zipper size should I use for a 1 person bivy tent? I'm in the process of making one.
I wanted to use a size 3 zipper but I feel it could be too small and weak. #5 almost looks too large and heavy and finding something in between
is difficult.

Any clues as to what is the minimum zipper size I can get away with? Anyone used a #3 on a tent before?

Thanks.
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Zipper size for one person bivy tent?

Postby Mark F » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 2:34 pm

There is an unusual zip size being #4.5 but it is not a lot smaller compared to #5 and it will be very hard to source in Australia. Generally #3 is used on inner tent doors and is used on many tent flys as well. It does have durability problems in the long term with the zip slides tending to wear but these can be replaced. A bit of thought in how the zip is installed can make this job either quite easy or ridiculously hard. As the bivvy tent is quite small I would go with the #3 unless the zip is going to be subjected to high forces.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewa » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 3:04 pm

I’d use a number 3, esp if home made, as you’ll know how to replace it should it ever come to that.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby domonic » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 8:16 pm

A number 3 it is. I think that's the minimum I'm game to use inside and outside. I notice that the average 2 man tents use a 5 but they're bigger. I'm sure I've seen a 3 on the flynet door.

Thanks for the help!
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewa » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 8:26 pm

Um...I wasn’t aware that there was a zipper lighter than a #3.

Remember that anything commercially made is going to be over designed, to reduce the risk of warranty repairs.

So, home made stuff can be made a lot lighter, as you know where the limitations are, you can be careful to minimise problems; there is no expectation of warranty repair, and you know how to repair the gear , as you put it together in the first place.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby domonic » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 9:59 pm

Agreed.. I think there must be a zip lighter than 3 but I was using a 5 and when both the mozzie net and outer door was finished on a previous tent I tried to make, the door side was getting pretty heavy. So #3 seems like the best option.
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 9:12 am

You can get a #2 coil zip but like the #4.5 it is a specialty item and not generally available for diy The standard sizes are #3, #5, #8 and #10.. https://www.ykkfastening.com/products/search/detail.html?pdid1=Coil+Zipper+Standard
On the YKK site there is also a useful reference for understanding zip lengths if buying readymade zips. https://www.ykkfastening.com/products/zipper/s_zipper.html
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment