Mountain warehouse carrion 65 vs Osprey Atmos 50 AG

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mountain warehouse carrion 65 vs Osprey Atmos 50 AG

Postby rumblepants » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi all,

I’m tossing up between these two packs

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/at ... 8_334.html

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/au/ca ... 2286.aspx/

I’m planning some overnight hikes next year so I’m looking for a good pack. The Osprey oooks amazing but the price tag is significantly higher than the MW.

Is it worth spending almost triple on the Atmos?

Cheers
rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Mountain warehouse carrion 65 vs Osprey Atmos 50 AG

Postby Mark F » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:53 pm

I have looked at Mountain Warehouse equipment in the UK at Stamford where we have a flat. Mountain Warehouse inhabits that part of the gear ecosystem that would be described as "adequate". Think Quechua (Decathalon), Kathmandu. Personally I see a mass of straps, buckles and zips that are there to get you to think that it is technologically advanced rather than just heavy and no mention of the fabrics or weight. I would wait for the Osprey to go on sale.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 1:11 pm

And just to throw a curve ball into this discussion.

I recently upgraded from my Berghaus Wilderness 65, to a Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor 40-60 Litre pack.

It's currently on sale on Massdrop, for US $129.99 + shipping of $24.50 to Australia. (The considerably discounted price is painful for me because I just bought one and paid a lot more, although mind you this Massdrop drop doesn't ship until 30th December so it wouldn't have arrived on time for my Overland Track hike.)

Viewable here: http://dro.ps/b/8vEXWO3CWxIO/l
The reduced price at Massdrop works out at around AUD $211.70 (on today's exchange rate, converted from US $155).

It was co-designed by Andrew Skurka, famous adventurer, with Sierra Designs. It's "very lightweight", weighing 1.12 kg in Small-Medium, and 1.2 kg in Medium-Large size.

It expands from 40 to 60 litres and everything in-between. And it has an amazing weight-carrying capacity, if you've not at an ultralight set-up yet. It can carry 35 - 50 pounds weight capacity. (Which is 15.8 kg to 22.6 kg weight capacity). That's significant because most lightweight packs don't have a very good weight carrying capacity. This pack is very light and can carry a lot of weight and equipment.

The real benefit of this pack is that it's suitable for overnighters, through to multi-day hikes. The one pack will do it all. As you can just expand it to the size you want with the compression straps.

And I love the top zipper access. There's no separate brain clipped over the top. You open the zip and you're in. Which is great when you're taking off layers while hiking.

And it has good airflow / ventilation on your back so you don't get a super-sweaty back.

Good water carrying abilities, with bottle-holder on the shoulder strap up front on your chest, and side pockets on either side to fit a 1L bottle. And a hydration bladder bag within the pack which is detachable.

REVIEWS
It's had "very good" to "excellent" reviews. on every site and every review I've found.

Outdoor Gear Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8V2y5GvVM
Hiking Nerd Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=206s&v=om5Jf1eMy6w
Section Hiker Review: https://sectionhiker.com/sierra-designs ... ck-review/

I can't yet speak to it long-term as I've only had it a few weeks. However everyone that's posted on Massdrop in conversation has good things to say about it, and it has good reviews in every forum I've found.

I'll be able to post a more thorough review after my 6 day hike, but by then the Massdrop drop will be over.

Andrew Skurka's own comments are here: https://andrewskurka.com/tag/flex-capacitor-pack/ and then he went and did a critique of the pack and who it best suits and doesn't suit here: https://andrewskurka.com/2016/room-for- ... 0-60-pack/

About the only "buts" I can think of are:
1) It's firm on the back, compared to some other packs like Osprey. Although everyone who has one says they get used to that quickly.
2) There is no back pocket to shove a wet tent into. Andrew Skurka recommends you have a trash compactor bag for putting a tent into within the main compartment, to avoid get anything else wet.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby phueck » Sat 01 Dec, 2018 4:36 pm

I recently bought the Atmos. I was tossing up between the Exos 48 and the Atmos 50. Trying them both on in Paddy Pallin I found the adjustable hip belt on the Atmos to be significantly comfier than on the exos, so despite the weight penalty I went with that. At this stage i've only used it on an overnighter but found it to be incredibly comfy, my gear barely filled half of the space available so I know I would be fine using it for 4-5 day hikes with it. Part of the reason I bought it rather than get an UL pack was that it can handle heavier loads well, which can be important if you aren't certain of your water sources and have to carry a significant volume.

Mark made a very good point about Mountain Warehouse. I'm originally from the UK and over there they don't have a great reputation for quality, but they are cheap and have gotten lots of people out on the trail. I'm sure the carrion would do the job, thought it may be a bit heavy, if it gets you on the trail sooner then I'd go for it.
That bag on Massdrop that Emma mentioned looks seriously interesting, i'd be tempted to buy one if I hadn't just bought a pack. If you've mostly got lightweight gear then it could do a great job for you.
Edited: spelling
phueck
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rumblepants » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 8:06 am

And just to throw a curve ball into this discussion.

@emma_melbourne You really have thrown a curveball into this one. That pack looks seriously interesting. I like the larger hip pockets and shoulder pocket. However the lack of adjustment with the shoulder straps concerns me and the lack of a mesh stuff it pocket on the back of the pack.

I think I'll leave out the Mountain Warehouse as I want good gear and aren't in a huuuuge hurry.

Thanks
Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rumblepants » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 8:46 am

Just a caveat to this thread. I finally bought myself an Atmos 50L. I really should've bought the one i saw on Gumtree for 150 as that was a steal but at least getting a new one i get the lifetime guarantee and 304 including postage was a great price at Wildearth. Even better is they have Afterpay which means i can get it today and not pay anything for two weeks. Stretching out the payments is way better for me.

Have not use it yet but I tried it on as well as several other Osprey packs and the difference was really significant. The anti gravity system transfers all the weight to your hips which mean you hardly feel the weight. I tried it on with 10kgs and walked around for about 30 minutes and didn't feel any hotspots or stress to my shoulders.

Will be giving it a field test next week and report with my findings.

Cheers
Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment