Do sales still exist?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Do sales still exist?

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 8:04 am

Checking the boxing Day 'sales' this morning.

Realised the prices of many retailers are exactly the same as their Xmas sale, November sale, October sale, September sale etc etc.

Seeing as everything is constantly on sale, I wonder if the sale price is actually now the normal price. Which means the non sale price is essentially the 'mug' price. :D

Though it seems prices now are generally lower..or am I being manipulated by marketing to think that.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Do sales still exist?

Postby tastrax » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 9:23 am

Genuine sales are few and far between - better to just keep watching the price of something you are after and at some stage it will come up at a reduced price (but still enough for the retailer to make something). When that reduced price is within your budget then its time to buy.....knowing that in a few months it will be cheaper somewhere!

Also try not to follow fashions/trends - that's a sure way to blow the budget!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 9:43 am

I just assume that the sale price (10%-30% off) is the "real" retail price and the so called rrp is the price mugs or the impatient pay. As tastrax says, wait and watch and grab it if the discount hits 50%. I also keep an eye on gumtree for new/slightly used items. I found a one use Aqua Marina inflatable kayak with good 4 piece paddle (I wanted an inflatable so I don't have it sitting on the roof racks unattended) just before Christmas for a tad over $100 where the retail is at least $600.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby trekker76 » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 12:42 pm

good question. I personally try not to buy new in Australia where possible, 2nd hand are the best sales for me. I saw affluent familes in the middle east and africa driving new hiluxes and landcruisers for half what we pay. Nearly fell over backwards when I moved back here. Being isolated, small market, easy credit access( creates buyers market and drives prices up) is only half the story. The rest is being ransomed by importers and rent and utilities jumping 300% price since the 90's. These business costs are passed onto us which is why even clubs, memberships, registrations etc charge $75+ /Well thats a hell of a rant for boxing day. :mrgreen:
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 3:32 pm

There are sometimes genuine sales, such as the release of a new product that is suddenly the customers preferred purchase and retailers are holding stock of an old style. Expect to see heavy discounting of the LaSportiva Baruntse and Spantik boots soon as it seems most new buyers are going for the newer warmer and lighter G-2.But Bogong has a regular Boxing day sale of old stock that often has real reductions
I'm drooling over some boots at the moment but don't have a spare $1000-
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 6:15 pm

Normal price is definitely the mug price... Look for 50%
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 6:33 pm

There are a few, but you generally are a generation behind, and don't get your choice of color. There are a few outlets that heavily discount demo and last season gear, but you have to be quick.
Its often a matter of time vs funds. I can get it cheaper, but I need to spend time, or I can get it now, and eat the cost. Sometimes I have more of one than the other, so I try to keep a running spreadsheet of things I want, or am looking at so I have a fast reference if I have money the day I see a sale. Although at this stage, even though there is better gear out there, I have enough of the right gear to get me through what I'll likely need, I don't worry too bad. Also, What is your time worth? Three hours of searching if you had something else better to do doesn't justify the saving of 20$
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment