List of packs for women available in Australia to try on

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

List of packs for women available in Australia to try on

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 7:51 am

My partner is looking for her first pack.

Looking for light weight idealy under 1.2kg. Load capacity 50L (45-48 is also fine). Frame required.

There are lots of great options available online however we would like to try it on instore.

So far we have tried various Ospreys. Eja 48 being the standout so far.

Any other recommendations that are available instore?

We liked the look of the Gregory Octal 45 however I cant find a retailer in Australia.
https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/backpacking-packs/octal-45-7892OCT45.html?dwvar_7892OCT45_color=Frost%20Grey&cgidmaster=packs-womens
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: List of packs for women available in Australia to try on

Postby ribuck » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 11:18 am

How much weight does she plan to carry? If it's no more than 13kg, definitely try on the Osprey Lumina 45. They usually have this in stock at Paddy Pallin, and will happily load it up for you.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 11:34 am

She tried on the 60L version as the 45L wasn't at the paddys store, might hunt around for it. idealy like to try some other manufacturers however finding stockists for lightweight has been a chore.

Aiming base weight of approx 6-7kg.

Overnights are the first step, so maybe 8 kg total.

I'd like us to eventually (fingers crossed) do 4-5 night trips so pack capacity would need to accommodate that.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kymboy » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 2:03 pm

If you're in Sydney then Alp Sport in Ryde are definitely worth checking out. The last time I was there, the staff were helpful and knowledgeable about fitting packs. According to their site they have an Osprey sale at the moment with both the Eja and Lumina reduced. And I have no affiliation, I'm just a satisfied customer.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 3:50 pm

Deuter make a whole line in womens sacks and they are highly regarded but can you find any? Don't know?
I have had two (daypacks) and they were/are beasts but quite heavyish.
Many women (in my reading of US stuff) rate them higher/better than Osprey.
The carry comfort is mentioned frequently!
Check sectionhiker-he had/has lots on womens sacks.
https://sectionhiker.com/womens-backpacks/ many OS models but something to on start maybe?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby being_wise » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 7:47 pm

one option www.oneplanet.com.au/product/extrovert/ which comes in a womens fit (like all their packs). If your In Melbourne its worth getting sized and fitted in store.
being_wise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Al M » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 10:48 pm

Been happy with my Osprey Exos 38, 46 and 58 and also have a Lumina 45 which is very sparse but lighter. Spent many overnight local hikes and three o/s 3-12 day backpack travel and treks in PNG, Nepal and Ladakh with the Exos 46 on 9kg baseweight which is in the light category but not ultralight. It can be expanded to easily to carry 17kg+ comfortably or stripped down (remove top brain section) from 1.2kg to be about 1kg.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 6:59 am

My daughter went to Wild Earth and tried on every female specific pack they had (mostly Osprey's). Eja, Lumina, Viva, Kyte, all tried and all discarded as not feeling right. She ended up buying a Deuter Aircontact Lite 50+, which is a unisex model rather than a female one. Anyway she is very happy with it. Good frame, comfortable, but a bit heavier than what you are aiming for.

The only other pack that springs to mind is the Exped Lightning which comes in a female version. If you were in Brisbane, K2 stocked them last time I looked. No personal experience with this but it is light and well regarded.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FionaShedden » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 7:53 am

I'd def recomend the Exped Lightning. I just bought mine and for me it was a better fit/comfort than the Ospreys - more lightweight and I liked the simple design. Bushcraft in Wollongong stock them in both mens and womens sizing - not sure about the Sydney stores.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby camm » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 12:39 pm

wildwanderer wrote:I'd like us to eventually (fingers crossed) do 4-5 night trips so pack capacity would need to accommodate that.

My co-conspirator manages 5 nights with an Eja 38, so I reckon you've got room for a touch of comfort with the 48.
camm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 3:02 pm

wildwanderer, that is SO exciting that your significant other is keen to head out with you. Big grins here from me!

I have tried and hated quite a few packs, I am very picky with my comfort. I think you are bang on in getting her into a store to try. I even faffed around by traveling to Melbourne for that lovely glut of stores in Little Bourke Street after my GOW the year before last to have a play with packs, didn't stop me dropping $600 on one that didn't work out a few months later online...but anyway...

It probably didn't feature in your list, being a bit el budgo, but the Osprey Renn 50lt is pretty darn good. My 13yo daughter has one, she is now taller than me, but is more slight in build like my husband, I am quite short and curvy. It doesn't weigh a tonne, feels okay for me on, is very robust with the least mesh I have seen on an Osprey Pack yet.'
I also own a One Planet Canopy 50lt which is one of their lighter offerings, after a bit of toing and froing re:fit with OP who were very helpful, the fit is supremely lush. I have overloaded it a few times too when out with kids and it carried like a dream. I think you can probably only try that on in Melb though, take her for a super nice weekend away?!

I also recently got a Durston 40lt. Was not convinced out of the box that the unisex fit was going to be acceptable, but have 4 days walking with it now and actually really like it. Obviously she can't try it on in real life in a store, but am happy to loan it to you guys for a week or so if it was something that possibly could be a good option for her.

The Exped Lightening that Fiona mentions also piqued my interest, I think I would have gone that route for my lighter adventures if the Durston pack hadn't worked out for me.

I love researching the heck out of and then using my gear in real life, such fun. I enjoyed kitting my kids out too, so I can only imagine that doing that as a couple would be amazingingly fun and bonding. Enjoy!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 8:13 pm

Thanks everyone.

Lots of great suggestions here which I'm sure will be useful to others as well.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snooze » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 11:43 pm

One more suggestion for you. Aarn backpacks seem to especially popular with women.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby myrtlegirl » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 3:04 pm

Def look at Aarn. I'm still passionately in love with mine after 13 years.

And yes, the front pockets fit over a large bust.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment