Waterproof vs Non waterproof Boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Waterproof vs Non waterproof Boots

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 2:44 pm

Hey, I'm trying to get boots for my partner. I'm just contemplating if I should get waterproof or non waterproof. We live in Tasmania and often do walks that can be quite wet, we often do creek crossings also. I'm just worried a gortex boot would take ages to dry out and isn't worth the hassle. What do you guys think?
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Waterproof vs Non waterproof Boots

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 3:09 pm

My preference is definitely non-waterproof, even for Tassie. As you say once waterproof boots/shoes wet out they're more trouble than they're worth, especially leather ones. Good sturdy mesh shoes/boots (ie. not leather and not with a membrane) will get wet pretty quickly but then dry/squish out as you walk and breathe better and are more comfortable.

I'm sure you'll get a range of opinions but as someone who used to think leather and/or gore-tex boots were a necessity I've never looked back since transitioning to sturdy trail runners (with low gaiters if scrubby).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm in SEQ and most of my work day is spent walking around outside, rain or shine. This week we had about 50mm or rain, but it rained for almost all of Feb and March or so it seemed.
I wear the doc martin nylon boots. I find them cooler when its hot, and usually they are pretty decent the next morning to wear, still damp, but not sodden, where my co-workers with gore solomans and merrels still have wet shoes. I combine them with good wool socks, just got some Darn Tough Vermonts and spend the day as comfortable as one can with squishy feet. If I do a water crossing on an otherwise dry day, they are pretty dry within a couple hours.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 4:35 pm

only advantage is they keep your feet warmer in cold conditions... otherwise they need hot weather or a fire to ever dry them out when they are wet... the gore tex gets lots of tears in it, and is anything but waterproof...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Warin » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 6:33 pm

I have waterproof calf length leather boots. When the water goes over the top they fill nicely with water .. and take 3 days to dry out with intensive care and nightly fires. They are still water proof. They are not for walking any distance in.

By contrast Wellingtons (rubber boots) if they get wet inside dry out fairly quickly - less absorbent material in there.

If you want waterproof .. then I would advise getting them longer than the maximum height of water you will be using them in. Otherwise get used to having wet feet.
Last edited by Warin on Fri 28 Jun, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 8:21 pm

I agree with the comments so far. It can take some persuasion to get your s.o. to move to non waterproof footwear - it certainly took a few semi heated arguments with my partner for her to make the switch. The only time I use a waterproof mid height shoe is for winter snowshoeing.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby crollsurf » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 9:17 pm

Waterproof shoes that aren't waterproof is a pet peeve of mine. Errrrr
I would say don't get sucked into the marketing BS but there are waterproof shoes out there but once wet, they take a long time to dry.

I walked the OLT recently in a pair of Zamberlan Vios GTX boot (they weigh a heap) and managed to stay dry. I paired them with a pair of Quagmire gaiters and I think that is key. A good pair of gaiters and truely GTX boots mean that you can walk in water up to a foot deep and still stay dry. But once they're wet, it's game over so horses for courses. If in doubt go the quick drying non-waterproof option.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 8:46 am

Odd woman out here. I love my goretex lined leather Asolos. Properly maintained and paired with good gaiters it takes a lot to get them wet inside and even when they do get wet, my feet are still warmer wet in good merino socks and a good leather boot. And I hate cold feet.

As for the "shoes will dry out quickly" line - not if you're walking in them on a damp showery day, or when the grass and scrub are wet from a heavy dew and it''s overcast. Your feet are wet after two steps and they stay wet all day long, while decent boots and gaiters would have kept them dry.

To the OP: the footwear isn't for you. Don't try to push a particular philosophical line to someone else. Tell them the basic pros and cons plainly and let them make the decision.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 9:35 am

north-north-west wrote:Odd woman out here. I love my goretex lined leather Asolos. Properly maintained and paired with good gaiters it takes a lot to get them wet inside and even when they do get wet, my feet are still warmer wet in good merino socks and a good leather boot. And I hate cold feet.

As for the "shoes will dry out quickly" line - not if you're walking in them on a damp showery day, or when the grass and scrub are wet from a heavy dew and it''s overcast. Your feet are wet after two steps and they stay wet all day long, while decent boots and gaiters would have kept them dry.

To the OP: the footwear isn't for you. Don't try to push a particular philosophical line to someone else. Tell them the basic pros and cons plainly and let them make the decision.

Those are some very good points. There are trade offs to be made with any system, and some will be much larger hurdles for some people, and insignificant to others.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 1:00 pm

I have both, a pair of leather Rossi Mulgas and a pair of Merrell Moab GTX's. Please note my walking experiences are mainly NSW and QLD so may not be relevant to Tassie.

In summary the Merrell Moabs fit better, are lighter, are more comfortable and are much drier. You can walk though puddles and wet scrub with impunity. In light rain and brief spells of heavy rain they have been entirely reliable. I haven't had them in sustained heavy rain. The Rossi's on the other hand will wet out in rain and wet scrub, the leather absorbs the water and they get heavier and heavier. In heavy rain, the Rossi's leak. They don't dry out overnight but remain damp. The Rossi's have superior grip under light rain conditions, but otherwise I prefer the Merrells or a light pair of hiking shoes.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 11:00 pm

I've had gortex leather, regular leather, and fabric boots and my strong preference is for goretex leather. Goretx is not a panacea but it has not been my experience that they take longer to dry than an otherwise identical non-gtx boot. When it's really wet out you just get wet no matter what. But in many circumstances I find the the gtx to be an advantage. I go with Asolo because they fit my feet.

But opinions vary so ultimately you'll have to figure this out for yourself.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 12:05 am

I've only worn synthetic goretex lined boots, and if you clan them occasionally with the appropriate cleaner and reproof them they are great. I thought after a couple of years of use they were stuffed but actually following the instructions and they're like new again. Even the goretex shoes I've used would dry only very slightly slower than the non goretex model, but there's a big difference in how wet they get to start with.

When it's wet and cold (winter in tassie) I think there's a huge comfort difference if your boots are only damp compared to soaked.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 1:15 am

I find non-waterproof trail runners the best for NSW conditions. Especially when it gets hot as they keep my feet relatively cool. GTX footwear tends to be hotter.

In NZ and aussie Alps (haven't walked in Tassie yet :( ) ive used both GTX boots and non GTX trail runners.

Both styles worked fine. Runners get wet quicker but stay light and as long as I'm moving are warm and comfortable. Plus I find m wet mesh based shoes less unpleasant to put on in cold mornings.

Gtx boots are better in mud and snow melt /minor streams but once they do get wet are quite heavy (inevitable if you have stream crossings and don't want to stop each time to remove boots). Never look forward to putting on wet boots.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 4:59 am

Wonder if it might help to get your partner to sign on and see what they prefer? Will consider wearing wet shoes-boots/will not etc. Would also be great to have another person on the forum and they could give some feedback on their choice. Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 5:23 pm

Walking the rather wet South Coast Track last Xmas I wished I'd been wearing non-waterproof shoes instead of Gore-Tex trail runners. Once wet (200m into the track) they were heavy and didn't dry out for days. Still, I was glad I'd worn those shoes and not my Gore-Tex Asolo boots, which would have been even heavier and slower to dry!

On the other hand, those Asolo boots have kept my feet dry, warm and comfortable on the Overland, on the 3 Passes walk in Nepal (with a lot of snow), on some snowy walks in Peru, and on countless dewy high country mornings when non-waterproof footwear would left me with cold, wet feet after a few steps of walking.

So I think I'm still undecided! Waterproof for snow and possibly for colder wet weather conditions, non-waterproof for milder wet stuff.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 7:40 pm

I have had Colombia outdry boots in the past (similar to goretex) and I really like them. I now walk in Columbia outdry running shoes which are waterproof, and use knee high gaiters.

If you are going to do creek crossings, then no waterproof boot is worth it - and I agree with others that you’re better off with something lightweight that will drain and dry out more quickly.

I take lightweight thongs/crocs for river crossings and then wear them around as soon as I arrive at camp to let my feet breathe.

Depends how much you sweat too. I never sweat so my feet and inside my shoes stays dry all day.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Al M » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 12:43 am

The last post above sums it up correctly, it’s not a case of which one is best for all situations. Chose one that suits the terrain and conditions. Non waterproofs in snow are dangerous with wet chilled toes and frost bite risk and for water crossings change them out and take rubber crocs or similar with you or deep mud then non water proofs.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby nq111 » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 6:50 pm

If your into taking instagram photos by the car in the snow then you will certainly be more comfortable in waterproof boots.

For a week walking in Tassie, non-waterproof, free draining are much nicer. Good wool socks and you'll be amazed how warm your feet stay, even after a creek crossing.

Nearly everyone seems to be in agreement which is nice.
nq111

Postby pronerd5 » Mon 19 Aug, 2019 9:38 pm

Any suggestions for good non waterproof shoes? I'm planning on walking the south coast track in Jan.
pronerd5
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wayno » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 7:33 am

pronerd5 wrote:Any suggestions for good non waterproof shoes? I'm planning on walking the south coast track in Jan.

shop around and find a brand that fits your feet, different brands can suit different feet shapes.
outdoor shops tend to sell reputable brands , you don't know what sort of quality you're going to get at cheap general stores, often not good if its cheap.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby slparker » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 5:40 pm

pronerd5 wrote:Any suggestions for good non waterproof shoes? I'm planning on walking the south coast track in Jan.

I used salomon trail runners on the SCT which worked out pretty well and was the best solution for the deep mud that i encountered - as wayno has suggested, reputable brands (from reputable shops) that fit you is the way to go.

I like trail runners for most of my bushwalking, even off track, but there are advantages to dedicated 'walking' (as distinct from running) shoes; such as deeper tread in the sole, usually a wider fit and a generally more robust construction. They can be heavy and overbuilt though.

As with anything, YMMV and some people prefer boots for all walking and some can get by with the most minimal of footwear.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby onward » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 6:20 pm

IMO hard to go past the Solomon X Ultra for an off track or tough 'hiking' shoe, but dozens to choose from if you want a trail runner, personally I like La Sportiva, Topo and Brooks, just don't expect to get big kilometres out of them (700-1000kms for me) as others have said you really need to find a brand and model that fits your feet...I have more than 12 pairs/brands/models in the cupboard and still looking for the holy grail of trail runners! Maybe they don't exist, today I wore a light pair of well cushioned Brooks Cascadia for an easy on track walk, for Friday's rocky off track reccy I'll wear the La Sportiva Bushido, and for Saturday's mud and steep down hills the Solomon X Ultra! Oh and in the snow last week I did wear GTX mids! For the SCT I would wear either the X Ultra or Bushido.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 9:03 pm

The trouble with even the most waterproof of boots is that they all have a large hole in them - at the top. When they fill up, which they WILL do, they are very good at keeping that water. If it is raining and water is running down your legs or trousers, that water will end up inside the boot.

Those who switch from dinosaur boots to light-weight joggers NEVER go back. And Volleys and KT-26s are much cheaper than leather boots.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment