Dan Durston rucksack.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Dan Durston rucksack.

Postby Lamont » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 11:51 am

https://drop.com/buy/drop-40l-backpack- ... ston/story?
NON affiliated link or referral.
I wish Dan well and hope there is enough business to go around! I suppose the number of walkers has grown so dramatically of late so everyone should still get some kembla.
Will the price compare to the SWD (260USD) or the Hanchor Marle which seem a wee bit similar?
I reckon they will ask about 170USD? It will keep it's cachet because you will have to wait forever to get it!
Or do they go the GG Crown route and churn the buggers out en masse?
VX21 all round and strippable (frame, back padding...etc) to about 680 grams-total about 900 grams -strippable is very good thinking I reckon.
There is really nothing like speaking to the designer and maker even tho' I suppose this is not a consideration for everyone.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Dan Durston rucksack.

Postby Mark F » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 10:17 pm

Interesting. I like the fabric and the concept of the zipped (read secure) rear pocket but it is not big enough. I yearn for a good pocket in the lid type pack for my 1st aid kit, SPOT, knife and tent pegs. Laufbursche has/had a really nice take on it with the lid pocket being part of the throat combining a useful volume in the lid with an easy open main compartment.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 2:00 pm

I joined the drop a few months ago for this pack - estimated arrival late April 2020 in Australia.

Did anyone else get on board?

I have two similar size packs, but frameless, KS Gear 50 and MLD Burn 38 - both have pros and cons - so I was interested in Dan's design with horizontal inverted 'U' frame, side pockets etc.

Review from August 12 is here: https://theperfectpack.com/2019/08/12/d ... 0l-review/
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 2:32 pm

Dan has noted in a few recent Drop discussions that the pack design has been modified slightly since the prototype - notably the shoulder strap pockets.

• Both sholder strap pockets are now side accessed and secured by a zip - the pockets are pleated and larger. So the redesigned pockets are a different shape and no longer have top access.

525 orders were placed and Drop's shipping date for the first drop is early April. Given the appraisals of the X-Mid 1p, I eagerly await this new pack!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 2:36 pm

Has anyone got theirs yet? Feedback? Obviously not a great time for trying new gear, but can still march around your neighbourhood in a pack or do the dishes in it...
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 3:03 pm

Just cancelled my order.

Too long a wait - things change over 11mths - and the issue with the straps being not up to spec and shipping delayed until June was the last straw.

And the side pockets are only elasticated at the top whereas I prefer drawcords to strangle things into place.

Modifications were done to the design that have not been circulated regarding the hip and shoulder strap pockets.

Oh... and having DROP printed on the front pocket doesn't sit with my aesthetic.

I might make a $ return on the downpayment though.. :D
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 6:33 pm

I get that the long lead in time and design tweaks would be off putting. So much has changed in just a few short weeks, let alone the months since ordering.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment