Lightweight overbags BA Query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Lightweight overbags BA Query

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 06 Jul, 2019 9:29 am

Well I'm starting to feel better so some snow camping is in the near future. Unfortunately my winter sleeping bag is getting a full rejuvenation and won't be available for another 3 or 4 weeks because of a minor hiccup. Has anybody been into BPL in Melbourne and had a look at the BA Farrington?
https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/big ... g-bag.html
In the US it seems that the bag is advertised as a liner but BPL describes it as versatile and say it can be used as an overbag. It seems to be a little on the skinny side to me but it looks as if the foot is large.
My UL overquilt has been good but I need a LW bag for the day tour rucksack and this might do that quite well as my old Thinsulate bag has reached the end of its useful life and is a bit of a dinosaur at 1200 grams
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Sometimes you can be lucky

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 09 Jul, 2019 4:50 pm

No feedback so I went looking for possible alternatives. I went to the ANSCO page and had a quick look. On clearance one only LY overbag. 100GSM generic polyester fill Total weight a kilo but that isn't too bad for an overbag according to one review but 150GSM Quallofill according to other pages.
https://www.mydeal.com.au/vango-synergy ... n%20(10-12)&utm_term=4581321358789109&utm_content=Low
ANSCO price $10- cheaper than in the link above or on ANSCOs eBay add
I could afford this as I had a $50- gift card to use up. Really too small to use as an overbag if it is only 800mm wide at the shoulder but that isn't what I bought it for, I wanted a cheap sleeping bag I could stuff in the bottom of my daypack for just in case I break a ski and get stuck out again and at the moment I am not motivated for DIY.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Lightweight overbags BA Query

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 11:31 am

That bag arrived
Waste of money as it is both poorly made and badly designed. I may be able to use it as donor fabric for a vest tho and cut the shell off as a sleeping bag cover; maybe.
However they are long enough to suit somebody 7 feet tall as a summer bag if you know somebody 7 feet tall who is desperate
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:28 am

I have been googling again
I just found this LW bag at Mountain warehouse
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/au/tr ... .aspx/red/
It is actually cut wide enough to use as an overbag but more importantly it looks wide enough to actually wear winter clothing inside it, which my current LW summer bag is not. I may order it and take another chance even if 50GSM is not warm it might perform well enough when Nikwaxed to leave the Goretex bivvy bag out
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 26 Jul, 2019 12:18 pm

That LW sleeping bag from Mountain Warehouse has arrived
It is perfect for what I want and need.
It is big enough to cover any of my existing winter bags including the -55 monster. It is a little bigger all around than the US army surplus patrol bag and a little lighter
While the 50GSM insulation won't in itself add much warmth it will do the very important job of allowing any moisture in my down bag to move through and get trapped in the quick drying synthetic layer; also there is the theoretical trapped air layer between the two bags that in itself can add a few extra degrees. I sleep cold and I'll be using it mainly to protect the rejuventated down bag from moisture and dirt if I think I need some extra warmth and the shell we just made won't add any extra warmth
I also posted this information in the winter camping section. If I had more money I think I would buy another one.
I think they are well worth the money and my advice would be to grab one while you can but to add in the cost of a Nikwax treatment barbecue they don't have a DWR.
Also I guess if the zipper was opened up it could function as an overquilt for a couple because it really is over 2 metres long
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment