4 season solo tent recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

4 season solo tent recommendations

Postby Canberragal » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi. Am planning on an overnight trip to Whites River Hut in August and was wondering whether my Mont Moondance 1 (3 season tent) will keep me warm enough (with a decent sleeping bag and mat, sleeping bag liner and thermals) or whether I need to shell out some serious $$$ to buy a four season tent. Am not sure yet whether I'll be doing much snow camping in the future bit, if I do, it'll probably be below or at treeline. Any advice or recommendations on using my Mont tent or thoughts on a good 4 season tent I should consider? My Mont tent is only 12 months old. Thanks folks in advance.
Canberragal
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: 4 season solo tent recommendations

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 8:59 am

If this is a one time walk and you have no plans to make winter camping above the snowline a definite thing then simply use what you have. My only concern would be the small size and low height which will have a bearing on how thick your mat can be. If it snows during the night just be prepared to wake up and shovel/scrape it off. An alternative to an extra mat inside the tent is a floor sized thin CCF mat under the floor. All that mesh will make for a cooler tent so take your warmest sleeping set-up. Add cordage to allow you to use snow pegs at the corners and just in case you can't find sticks at the camp site a couple of lengths of PVC conduit to use as deadman anchors.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:36 am

I agree with Moondog. Just use the Mont.

Whites river hut is in a protected spot, so winds wont be too much of an issue. The Moondance might not fare too well with a heavy snow load because of the hubbed poles but you can always knock the snow off during the night. Does it have the half solid inner? If so, spindrift shouldn't be a problem either.

A solid inner tent can add a few degrees of warmth if pitched in the right spot. Don't rely on it. Just make sure your sleeping bag and mat are up to the task. That valley can get quite cold at night because of cold air drainage. Expect up to 5c less than the temps for Perisher.

Have fun!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:46 pm

Some thoughts Re snow load.
Some of these tents can be strengthened by using your ski or trekking poles to support the ends of the short transverse section that gives the vestibule. It might be worth asking Mont if this was possible. The WE version of this tent is designed to allow this and several of the MSR tents supply the short sections as part of the integrated design
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Canberragal » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 4:26 pm

Thank you Moondog55 and Zapruda. Much appreciated :)
Canberragal
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment