Oztent rv5 vs rx5

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Oztent rv5 vs rx5

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 9:33 am

So needing a big family tent and given camping and hiking is one of my main interests want to do it properly. Have been looking at the oztent rv5 for a while now and was pretty much locked in but became aware of the rx5: same tent but with diff material (to satisfy US fire requirements, a roof window, and as a package rather than separate modular pieces).

Anyone had any experience with rx5? Can't find any reviews or comparisons. I'm particularly unsure of the new material- supposed to be stronger but is nylon and I always wanted to get a canvas tent my son could keep using long after I'm in the ground...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Oztent rv5 vs rx5

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 10:34 am

Cecile and I had some very bad experience with our own RV5 and got a refund. Until this post I didn't know there was a specific US version. The RV tents are OK for a quick overnite stop if sleeping on the floor but totally inadequate if you sleep on cots due to the steep wall angle at the rear. I do know of a bargain tho.
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/b ... -plus-tent
If I had been able to sell my Lavvu I would buy one of these or perhaps the bigger one
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/b ... -twin-tent
Good strong tents with cheaper Chinese aluminium poles. but good Easton poles are not that expensive from TPT when the originals bent and/or break
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks Moondog. I already have a large dome tent - and to be honest tired of all the set up time it takes (I do on my own as my son is quite small).

The RV5 uses 190G ripstop poly-cotton. The RX5 uses Modcan and is supposed to be stronger, fire resistant, and more water proof. Sounds great - but hard to just trust manufacturer claims.... The sky window for the RX5 is a big seller too as I understand the tents collect heat alot due to the thickness of the material....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 4:55 pm

Cecile and I found that the new so-called canvas in the RV is actually polyurethane coated and simply doesn't breath I would hope then that the Modcan was a better, more breathable fabric but the addition of the big hole in the roof makes me think it isn't. I loved the original oz-Tent for the fast setup back when I could sleep on the ground, not so much now I need a cot
Always trade offs
The dome tent I can erect in about 20 minutes on my own most times
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CBee » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 6:58 pm

I'm not here to advertise oztent, but I have one and have been using it for 10 years or more. Camped in the bush in the top end, under a cyclone for a week, in the Simpson desert with rats trying to chew their way inside and tens of times more on sandy beaches. Still looks as good as new. The only things I've replaced are the orange guy lines. I use it with the external fly permanently attached, no condensation whatsoever.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby msrlo » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 7:11 pm

Great Tents and easy to use, just remember what ever the length is means thats the smallest it will pack down to. Usually means a roof rack
msrlo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 8:07 pm

Actually length (packed 2m) a concern too - i have a small roofrack - not sure if enough to support properly.... I'm still leaning toward it, maybe I'll be the first review of modcan...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chrikka » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 9:08 pm

Ive been using an RV5 for over two years now with a growing family and i think they are bombproof. Ive also invested in more 'add ons' to have two rooms, annex, awning etc. Spent about $2k so far and im sure it will be around for a while.
Get out there !
Chrikka
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby weeds » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 4:44 am

We have had an RV4 for a few years now, suggest getting the fly to reduce condensation. We’ve been really happy with the purchase.

We did look long and hard at the black Wolfe

The only con with the RV4 is the length but given we have a full size 4WD and full length roof rack it hasn’t been an issue for us.

We also have a trusty old canvass touring tent, four pegs, one pole, must be getting close to 15 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment