Tent recommendations (kayak camping)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent recommendations (kayak camping)

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 12:59 pm

Planning to do some solo kayak camping trips in southern areas of Vic. Similar size & weight constraints as hiking but a just a little bit of latitude. A 3-season spec should be sufficient as I'll generally be aiming to avoid harsh conditions. Aiming to keep the price-point sub-$300. I have a 2-person spec in mind for a little more space; probably keen on vestibule space to keep a bit of gear protected.
Would love some suggestions/recommendations!
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Tent recommendations (kayak camping)

Postby Petew » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 1:24 pm

I'd look for a second hand tarp tent such as the double rainbow, or a second hand hubba hubba or similar. Unfortunately sub $300 is not going to get you anything good quality wise. I do a lot of kayak camping and usually use a double rainbow or a Sea to Summit tarp. If buying new avoid anything with fibreglass poles like the plague.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tent recommendations (kayak camping)

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 2:25 pm

If on a budget let look at 3f tents made in china. Good quality for a inexpensive price. 2-3 person light weight tents in the $200 range.

Con:takes about 30+ days for it to arrive from China.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment