Nitecore F2

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nitecore F2

Postby Aushiker » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 12:49 pm

I tend to do longer trips which often have up to seven days between wall plugs. I currently have a RAVPower RPB17 6700 mAH (no longer listed) which weighs in at 152 grams and so provides a reported 44.08 maH per gram.

I am looking at the Nitecore F2 as a replacement option for its flexibility and it's better maH per grams. For my expected usage I am considering the F2 plus four batteries, so a reported 13,800 maH at 235.5 grams, 58.60 maH per gram.

Anyone have experience with the Nitecore F2 and also any suggestions on good quality 18650 batteries? The Nitecore ones are pricey but are they worth it?

Other options worth considering?

Thanks
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Nitecore F2

Postby philm » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 2:12 pm

I use the F1 charger with the same battery type
I purchased high quality ones from Sanyo online and they have performed well
I use them to charge a Nitecore N25 plus iPhone plus Garmin Fenix 5x watch
I also use an inreach explorer but this has a
Large battery that I have not had to charge in the field

Initially I took 3 batteries on trips of about 1 week but now only take 2 it I guess it depends on how much you use and need the gear that requires charging
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Aushiker » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 6:06 pm

philm wrote:I use the F1 charger with the same battery type
I purchased high quality ones from Sanyo online and they have performed well
I use them to charge a Nitecore N25 plus iPhone plus Garmin Fenix 5x watch
I also use an inreach explorer but this has a
Large battery that I have not had to charge in the field

Initially I took 3 batteries on trips of about 1 week but now only take 2 it I guess it depends on how much you use and need the gear that requires charging

Thanks, most helpful. I do use a dynamo (on the bike) which charges the battery pack during the day so maybe four batteries is overkill. In terms of electronics it will be used to keep my Garmin Edge 1030 bike computer which is topped up daily, a Samsung tablet (8') maybe every three days it will need a top up and if necessary my headlamp and Garmin inReach mini (I only turn that on in camp to send okay messages). Oh I also have a Garmin watch but that should last wall plug to wall plug.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 11:42 pm

Received my Nitecore F2 a week or so ago and a couple of Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh batteries from eBay seller Supersports600. I have flattened the batteries and recharged them with a Keweisi KWS-V20 in the line. According to the KWS-V20 the capacity of the two batteries 6638 mAh, so ~98% of stated capacity.

Now to test them in terms of charging the phone etc. Just waiting for a Google cable for my Pixel 3 as it seems that a recent software grade is enforcing the PD specification with cables as it will only charge wirelessly or with a Google cable now.
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Equipment