Kathmandu

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Kathmandu

Postby Wollemi » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 8:12 pm

I have a few Kathmandu gift cards.
Reading reviews for their gear, I see the reviewer responded to one negative review thus; 'All of the reviews are moderated by a third party company called Bazaarvoice.'

Anyway, maybe I have missed things on their catalogue.
- Do they still have freeze-dried meals?
- Are their mens briefs OK for everyday wear - and an impromptu swim at a river? 94% nylon, 6% elastane https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/cloth ... ef-v2.html
- Do they do down pants?
- Any other thing you have that you use alot of ? Have recently returned to 150km bicycle rides in a day. The kayaker in me always wants dry bags.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kathmandu

Postby johnw » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 9:04 pm

Wollemi wrote:I have a few Kathmandu gift cards.
Reading reviews for their gear, I see the reviewer responded to one negative review thus; 'All of the reviews are moderated by a third party company called Bazaarvoice.'

Anyway, maybe I have missed things on their catalogue.
- Do they still have freeze-dried meals?
- Are their mens briefs OK for everyday wear - and an impromptu swim at a river? 94% nylon, 6% elastane https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/cloth ... ef-v2.html
- Do they do down pants?
- Any other thing you have that you use alot of ? Have recently returned to 150km bicycle rides in a day. The kayaker in me always wants dry bags.

I have a bit of their stuff, some of it for quite a few years and have been happy with most of it. That said I never pay their preposterous RRP, only ever buy clearance or "sale" items.
I've got a 2 layer gore-tex rain jacket that I bought ages ago for ~$200 and it's pretty decent, well designed, has pit zips etc. And a Polartec Power Dry hoody/sweater that is brilliant that I've had for many years. But their range changes constantly and some of it now is frankly, crap. I find it best to be critically selective about anything I buy there now. If you are able, it may be worth taking a trip to their clearance outlet at Birkenhead Point in Sydney. Reasonable chance of picking up heavily discounted items, but it's pot luck if they have something you want/need, or in your size, on a given day.

I'm pretty sure they no longer carry any meals. And be careful with the dry bags. Not for kayaking, but lightweight ones I've bought in the past are actually only water resistant, they'll eventually wet through given enough moisture. Heavier ones might be OK. I've found the bike stuff really expensive, even when discounted, and heavy, compared to similar (usually better) products from OS online retailers. Given you have gift cards to spend it's worth having a look, but I really recommend eyeballing the products if you can.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 4:23 am

i found their briefs incredibly brief.... sizing was incredibly small. not sure which market the factory really makes them for, midgets?
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Eremophila » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 7:53 pm

Do your calculations and ensure your gift cards are applied correctly.

I'm struggling to buy anything there these days, although I've been very happy with my lightweight down jacket - the base base model. Have a t-shirt that I really like but later versions have much thinner fabric...???!!!

Much of their women's clothing is cut for fashion and not for practicality. And not an elastic waist in sight :roll:
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 3:30 am

shop by activity category to make sure its walking gear
the XT gear is the more serious outdoor gear but i think that can be more for colder conditions

https://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/shop-b ... e.html?p=1
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 7:44 pm

The striped travel towels are quite good, they have a terry-toweling weave which is more effective than smoother fabrics.

Size L is just big enough, size XL can wrap around my waist. Way overpriced so wait for a discount!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Fri 10 Jan, 2020 3:05 am

Neo wrote:The striped travel towels are quite good, they have a terry-toweling weave which is more effective than smoother fabrics.

Size L is just big enough, size XL can wrap around my waist. Way overpriced so wait for a discount!

dont drop those towels on the ground, just about any organic debris or dirt will cling to them
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment