Advice 2 person Lightweight dyneema DCF tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Advice 2 person Lightweight dyneema DCF tents

Postby adventuremum » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi
Wanting to upgrade my Exped Mira 2 (approx 2kg) for something lighter.
Any advice on 2 person Dyneema DCF Tents? eg
    Tarptent Stratospire LI
    MLD Duomid
    One Planet 2 Midable
    Zpack Duplex
    HPL Ultamid2
    Terra Rosa custom made

And pros & cons on any of them?
Single pole pyramid versus dual pole?
Weight of dyneema DCF for fly & floor?

Specs
    It's for 3 season+ (want it to be able to survive high winds, torrential downpours etc (have Hillbergo solo & Exped Venus 2 for snow camping)
    For both using with walking poles & bikepacking
    Want dual wall (either mesh inner or solid/mesh inner)
    Want minimum fly weight of 0.5 oz / yd & minimum hydrostatic head of 8,000 mmH₂O & preferably higher
    Want min floor weight of 1.0oz / yd 2 & minimum hydrostatic head of 8,000 mmH₂O & preferably higher
    Minimum condensation design
    Want good ventilation for 40C days
    Want to to be able to peg down low & have maximum tie out points in stormy weather
    needs to be able to take x2 exped UL syn mats (W52cm x2)
    good vestibule size for wet gear etc
    ykk zips (#5 for fly, ? #3 for inner)
    height of users 165cm-180cm
    weight preferably close to 800g (with stakes, without poles)

Thanks very much
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Advice 2 person Lightweight dyneema DCF tents

Postby Lamont » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 7:29 pm

Duplex is single wall not double.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Mon 10 Feb, 2020 7:17 am

The Duomid will be too small for 2 people in my opinion, and you definitely won have anywhere to store gear. I used one for a while...

As Lamont said the Duplex is a single wall.

Even though I don't love mids, I can personally vouch for Locus Gear mids. They do a bunch of custom sizes and custom inners. Excellent quality and customer service.

I am also a huge fan of Tarptent. I use a Notch Li and that thing is fantastic. The Strat Li sounds excellent and if I had a use for one I would be all over it.

The HMG Ultamid seems to be well loved albeit expensive.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wayno » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 7:04 am

the more flat walls, the worse they are in wind...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby coimon » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 7:28 am

I have a Stratospire Li and love it.

Here are some responses to your requirements which aren't answered / confirmed in the product spec / components on the TT website:

- It sheds wind really well based on the strong winds I've experienced in it
- I use it with ruta locura CF poles and it works great, by design walking poles will be great
- Condensation hasn't been an issue for me, but the design seems to lend itself to minimising it very well
- It's extremely well ventilated in my opinion, but would note that the DCF lets light in like nothing else, so if you are using it during 40C daylight you're going to know about it. Beautiful to look up through at night and watch the light and dark patterns in the trees and sky overhead though.
- Adjustable pitch height is great for lowering the fly, and the apex guylines combined with MSR Groundhogs (plus two 8" Easton nails to fit the rings on the pitchloc corners) make it rock solid
- Not familiar with those mats but regularly use a long Xtherm and regular Uberlite in it without issue
- Vestibules are huge, never had an issue with storage space
- User heights are across your specified range, no issues

It has a relatively large footprint, which can be tricky in tight spots, but where that has been an issue the flexibility of the raised fly and extending guyout points has meant I've been able to pitch it just fine. In fact I put an apex guyline stake into the back of a stump that was right next to the tent and the vestibule over a few exposed tree roots with stakes placed around them on my last outing and the pitch was nice and taut.
Last edited by coimon on Wed 12 Feb, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby slparker » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 8:19 am

If it were me i would consider a custom job from Terra Rosa. My rationale is that I have seen his work before, and it is very good, and also the purchase comes under Australian consumer law.

there is no way that i would buy an american cottage industry product for $1K + AUD. I am not confident that quality control is consistent enough to take that kind of gamble and there is no legal recourse that i am aware of. Hundreds have people have had positive experiences, it is true, but I have personally seen indifferent quality control that is tolerable on a $400 silnylon tent but is less pleasing on a textile that is 2-3x the cost and has tighter manufacturing and design tolerances than silnylon.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coryjohnrist » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 9:12 pm

I like what Evan is doing over at Terra Rosa, had a sleeping bag from him which i love lots. I am in the same boat as OP with Tents, what can Terra Rosa offer that is enclosed though?
coryjohnrist
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment