What Gear is Essential

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: What Gear is Essential

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 04 Feb, 2012 6:09 pm

Just a question about the Osprey - Exos 46 SuperLight Hiking Pack for those who have it.

I want to add some dry bags to it, I think a 50 liter dry pack will be fine for the main space, but how big for the top space and the outside pouch, maybe I only need one for the top compartment, as I want to put my electronics in there, the front pouch maybe a garbage bag will do :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 04 Feb, 2012 7:55 pm

I must say I only ever use a 50l one in the main compartment. Front of the pack i keep rain gear n gaiters (and I plan on packing my tarp there). I usually always carry a sil pack cover and I've never had anything wet. Top pocket I keep my trowel and snacks and insect repellent etc. I keep my gps and camera in waterproof cases with ziplock bags on my hipbelt. If the weather is really that ugly I move my camera inside my pack in the dry bag. There's not usually too many chances for happy snaps if the weathers that ugly. Hope that helps :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 04 Feb, 2012 8:40 pm

OK you the boss I will do as YOU DEMAND :)

Is the 50 Litre dry bag big enough to roll it up good, also what brand of dry bag do you use ?

Will have to get some cases to hang off my straps for my camera and stuff, should not be hard to find.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sun 05 Feb, 2012 1:40 pm

Bluegum Mic wrote:I must say I only ever use a 50l one in the main compartment. ... I usually always carry a sil pack cover and I've never had anything wet. ...If the weather is really that ugly I move my camera inside my pack in the dry bag.
Very similar to the way I do it. I have a 58l Osprey. In the main compartment I have a S2S Medium liner (106g). I also have a S2S pack cover (159g) to put over the outside. And if needed, a couple of 1 litre waterproof bags to put the electronics in.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby juzzy » Fri 02 Mar, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Guy's
I'm new here I just joined up, please be gentle. You guys have some awesome camping lists here, i'll be reviewing my own list now! I reckon the most essential thing to take camping is a multi tool like Leatherman or gerber, something always breaks is you camp with vehicles like 4x4 or motorbike, good things to have around.

Cheers guys,
Justin.
I am a camper that likes to take technology outside, if it's geeky a gadget you'll see me with it.
juzzy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Campingeek.com
Region: Victoria

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Mon 14 May, 2012 9:16 am

This is a fantastic thread. Cheers :)
Check out my bushwalking/photography blog and like the Facebook page so you can follow new posts
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 14 May, 2012 11:44 am

Hi John.

Apologies I missed your response. Yes I find the 50l has plenty left to roll. I use the orange S2S ultra sil liner (size M) in my exos and it comes well out the top of the pack unrolled.
For my smaller day pack I use the 20l ultra sil bag

I tend to use various snaplock bags of different sizes in there for sensitive gear ie food, sleeping socks n thermals etc. My sleeping bag cover is also sil so I don't do anymore for that. I know it might be overkill to have the liner plus the extra snaplock bags but it allows me to throw a damp tent/tarp in there and not worry about my other stuff getting wet. Mind you id leave the wet tent outside of the packliner but still in the pack.

As for my pack cover I made one out of silnylon as it doubles as a gear hammock. But I've used various brands over the years and they've all worked well.

Hope that helps :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sailfish » Mon 28 May, 2012 12:47 pm

I use cliplocks for some things as well, compression dry sacks for others but no pack liner. This allows me to take advantage of my McKinley's front access http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product-det ... gory_id=31

Kind of like the difference between a tape drive and disc drive.
oops, showing my age kids......

I get the cliplocks cheap by the hundreds from an office supplier. They do tend to tear easily if not careful so I take spares but they cost and weigh next to nothing.

Regards,
Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kinsayder » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 7:12 pm

In terms of the purely essential; water, food, boots, coat. Beyond that (because that would make for a fairly Spartan time out) I'd go for tent, mat, leatherman and pack. Then tent, water purifier, head-torch, stove and utensils. This is all for an overnighter.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby seagullhike » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 7:41 pm

John Sheridan wrote:Just a question about the Osprey - Exos 46 SuperLight Hiking Pack for those who have it.

I want to add some dry bags to it, I think a 50 liter dry pack will be fine for the main space, but how big for the top space and the outside pouch, maybe I only need one for the top compartment, as I want to put my electronics in there, the front pouch maybe a garbage bag will do :)

I have a Osprey Exos 58l, it is a terrific pack and I have no qualms with it. I use a S2S dry bag inside I think it's the medium size. I went on a 5 day walk about a week ago and it rained pretty much everyday,this was my second test with the Exos and the dry bag kept all my gear inside completely dry. I use the side pockets for my things that don't need any water proofing and found I could fit everything that could be harmed by water in easily with room for about 5 days food and 3l of water. There was a lot of freshwater streams on the trail so I didn't have to lug to much.

Good luck with the Exos if you pick it up, the sucker is light too :D
taking off to the centre of the universe..
seagullhike
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Dreamer » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:11 am

Essential for me is everything in my pack for comfort & security (otherwise it wouldn't be there!). My current gear list (for longer walks with cold nights)...

Sleeping   Weight (g)
  Sea to Summit Micro III Sleeping Bag 755
  Nemo Astro Air Insulated (540g non) 661
  STS Dry Bag 20L 88
  Tarptent Notch in bag (4 Easton pegs) 813
  Tyvek Groundsheet 87
Total   2404
Cooking    
  Gas (small) ? 164
  Jetboil Flash System 412
  Sea to Summit Cup 69
  Spare PolyCarb Spoon 10
  Titanium Folding Spoon 20

Total   675
Clothing Worn    
  Outdoor Research Short Gaiters 132
  OR Seattle Sombrero Hat + buff 121
  Salewa Firetail Hiking Shoes 950
  Socks/Undies 146
  Montane Convertible Pants 352
Shirt 181
Helinox FL120 Trekking Poles (Pair) 298
Total   2180
Clothing Carried    
  Montane Beanie + gloves 75
  Montane Minimus Pertex Shell 238
  Montane Nitro Down Jacket 377
HH Mid weight fleece 300
  Spare shirt 162
  Thermals Top and Bottom (sleeping) 407
  Socks/Undies (spare) - one 146
STS Bug Head Net 31
Total   1736
Misc
  4L Water Bladder (empty) 145
  Steripen Fits-all Prefilter 66
  Nalgene Small 93
  Gossamer Gear Mariposa 59L Pack 783
  First Aid Kit in dry bag 248
  Steripen Freedom 76
  STS Map Case 51
  Mammut Headlamp 77
  BG Pocket Knife 73
Mini Multitool with scissors 38
  Toilet Paper 50
  Toothbrush/Paste + Suncream 68
  Removed 0
  Batteries: 2XAA/ 3XAAA Lithium 52
  Spot Connect Satellite Tracker 137
  iPhone 4 in Lifeproof case 169
Power Rover 6000mAh 182
Total   2308
Food (1 day)    
  Breakfast x 1 - Cereal 100
  Lunch x 1 200
  Dinner x 1 - Store Bought Dehydrated 200
  Water 0
Total   500
From Skin Out   9803g
Big 4 3099
Base Weight on back 7123 (plus food & water)
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby andrewa » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 7:43 pm

Dreamer,

Interested in the shirt that weighs 180g . Long sleeved? If so, what is it?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Dreamer » Wed 12 Sep, 2012 8:58 am

Hi andrewa,

That shirt is a short sleeved icebreaker 200 weight contour crewe (179g). My spare shirt (which I ended up preferring on my latest walk - Larapinta) was a half zip Nike Dry-Fit polyester/spandex running shirt with half collar - weighs only 151g...very quick drying - love this shirt. Next cooler walk (NZ) I am probably going to use a long sleeved, half zip, micro weight smartwool top @ 215g. I'll keep the Nike shirt in pack as backup.
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby couscousman » Sat 06 Oct, 2012 6:41 pm

Dreamer - What are the benefits of walking with walking poles? I am only asking because I am thinking of taking them on a hike but unsure if I need them. Are they a crutch for a person with heavy packs? or are they good for light packs too? Add stabilitiy etc?? Make me an argument that I cant refuse.
couscousman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gayet » Sat 06 Oct, 2012 7:36 pm

Have you got dodgy knees? Walking poles help reduce the strain. Day walks, long trips, light pack, heavy pack; I'll use them. I can manage fine on the flats and not ladder like descents, but steep descents they give you stability and ease the knees, more so with a heavy pack but that depends on the knees really. Steep ascents, they give me a bit more confidence that if the knee does fold up or the spine kink, I'll be able to arrest my collapse. Great for crossing that raging river on a slippery rotting log!

I use them 'cause I have dicky knees, crook spine, and wobbly pelvis.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby LandSailor » Sat 06 Oct, 2012 8:01 pm

couscousman wrote:Dreamer - What are the benefits of walking with walking poles? I am only asking because I am thinking of taking them on a hike but unsure if I need them. Are they a crutch for a person with heavy packs? or are they good for light packs too? Add stabilitiy etc?? Make me an argument that I cant refuse.

Couscousman...I regard walking poles as an important safety item more than anything. I dont really need or use them much on flat terrain but when on a steep, rocky incline, the ability to be distribute my weight over all 4 limbs at any time is very helpful. I tend to hold the poles palm down over the pole top when in this situation. I wouldnt trust a pole to hold my entire body weight of course, more a case of having more options in terms of balance. This obviously becomes more important when you have heavy pack and a higher center of gravity.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby couscousman » Sun 07 Oct, 2012 9:35 am

Thankyou very much for that info. I was thinking along similar lines. I do not have dicky knees but I like the idea of having extra support when ascending/descending and crossing uneven terrain. I will try them out on some short walks around home.
couscousman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby madmacca » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 10:45 pm

couscous,

Walking poles take a lot of pressure off the knees on step descents, and also make them substantially faster. And they make river crossings much easier - either by allowing safer rockhopping, or the '3 point' technique in faster moving water. They also provide additional traction points on slippery tracks. On easier going, I fold them away as being more trouble than they are worth.

Make sure you learn how to use the wrist straps properly (under the palm, not over the back of the hand) - it makes it a lot less tiring on the forearms over an entire day.
madmacca

Postby happycamper » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 11:29 am

I have read "head torch" several times in these pages.
People have been saying that "these torches leave your hands free" etc....
What hasn't been mentioned is that both hands will be busy waving away insects from your face and mouth that are attracted to the light.
Head Torches are Ok in the cooler months but a real pain in summer. A hand held torch is the primary torch for me. If I need both hands free for a few moments while cutting up onions then I lay the torch nearby pointing at what needs illumination.
happycamper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Wolfix » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 3:32 pm

Head torch plus bug headnet. LOLZ.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wolfix » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 3:34 pm

And Couscousman, I only started using poles this year and now I always take them on walks over 2 hrs or if I want to walk fast. I love them. I have Pacerpoles.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sat 20 Oct, 2012 10:29 pm

happycamper wrote:I have read "head torch" several times in these pages.
What hasn't been mentioned is that both hands will be busy waving away insects from your face and mouth that are attracted to the light.
Head Torches are Ok in the cooler months but a real pain in summer. A hand held torch is the primary torch for me. If I need both hands free for a few moments while cutting up onions then I lay the torch nearby pointing at what needs illumination.

A headtorch doesn't have to be worn on the head. Good to have options and handhold torches dont provide many.

Wolfix wrote:And Couscousman, I only started using poles this year and now I always take them on walks over 2 hrs or if I want to walk fast. I love them. I have Pacerpoles.

+1

Black Diamond Contour Elliptics for me though.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wollemi » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 9:39 pm

happycamper wrote:I have read "head torch" several times in these pages.

Your point is a very good one; I had forgotten of warm nights walking into countless bugs, but a head-torch is so versatile...

- wrap it around your wrist a few times,and it can be used in the manner that you prefer
- hung up from the inside apex of your tent as a lamp, which will attract and keep errant insects away from you as you move about your tent
- worn around the neck or quicly looped to the PFD when night-time sea-kayaking, so it is not lost overboard in confused seas...
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikethepike » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 12:20 pm

The need to frequently replace smelly grimy socks on long bushwalks means the need to take more pairs. The answer to this is a product such as Prantal ® powder, a tube of which weighs no more than a light sock. Just rub it on your feet and between the toes each morning before setting out and you’ll be amazed how long the socks stay good to wear. Prantal is not an anti –microbial as I first thought, but has a chemical that by some magic alchemy, reduces sweating.

In the same way if you want to be in presentable clothing at the end of an extended walk (eg you're catching a bus home) a single inner top vest will stay sweet for the duration if you apply a ‘48 hour’ deodorant every day.

Diclaimer. Those products only tested in ambient temperatures below 26oC and I assume you are not in a dusty environment or sloppy with your food at breakfast time. :roll:
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GoForFun » Fri 10 May, 2013 8:34 pm

Hey,

a friend of mine i using a deodorant called "everdry" - You use it only once a week always at the same day and you don't sweat anymore. I think you get in pharmacies and it costs much more than a normal deodorant but lasts for about 2 years. I am lucky and never had problems with too much sweating. I always have babywipes, a normal deodorant and 2 - 3 pairs of socks. That keeps me going fo about a week - than a shower becomes neccessary.

Cheers
Take your life in your own hands! --> What will happen: There won't be anyone to blame.
GoForFun
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 May, 2013 6:35 pm

Something that stops you sweating when you're undertaking a sometimes strrenuous day-long activity like overnight bushwalking, is not a good idea.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Fri 17 May, 2013 6:21 pm

CRAP!...After going through this thread you people are are making me feel totally inadequate, in fact I'm wondering just how I make it out of my walks alive!

Might be time to get with the scene and start spending some BIG money...Makes you wonder how they ever got through in the early days of bush exploration?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Fri 17 May, 2013 7:17 pm

not really, each to their own.... you just go with whatever gear you can muster that will do a reasonable job to keep you alive, work with your budget, i started out with pretty cheap basic gear and got a lot of hill walking done... spending big money often only gives moderate advantages. saves a bit of weight and often only really a moderate gain in comfort.... at teh end of the day you still need a certain amount of fitness to make the trips easier.... the best gear in the world only improves the experience a limited amount, some of us are old enough to have made more money and just want to blow it buying more expensive gear to try and compensate for our ageing doddery bodies that are struggling to cope with the rigours of bushwalking....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby colinm » Fri 17 May, 2013 11:18 pm

Here's an amusing and enjoyable (and even enlightening) piece by an old duffer from 1905 talking about light weight gear.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingameric ... s/kit.html

I note that he distinguishes his portable bathtub as being only for when you have pack animals.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lindsay » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:15 pm

colinm wrote:Here's an amusing and enjoyable (and even enlightening) piece by an old duffer from 1905 talking about light weight gear.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingameric ... s/kit.html

I note that he distinguishes his portable bathtub as being only for when you have pack animals.

I fully intend to add champagne to my gear in case of fever........ :D
Lindsay

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment