A folding kayak

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

A folding kayak

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:10 am

Just came across this Tucktec 'eco folding kayak'. Thoughts? Seemed to be easier to carry than an inflatable. 12.7kg each.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tu ... ninbox.com
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: A folding kayak

Postby lseries92 » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 11:04 am

That looks very interesting. I have never used a folding kayak before but was previously considering the Oru a while ago - it is also on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... kayak-ever

This probably gives you something else similar to compare it to - the Eco looks good value, especially with the early bird pricing still available ...
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 11:06 am

An interesting concept but a bit heavy for carrying any distance. The packed shape is great and the skeg important for how it tracks in the water. I would be interested to see how it deals with a capsize. They call it a kayak rather than a canoe but I always thought kayaks had a small cockpit which could be sealed with a skirt while canoes are open.

I recently picked up a good quality inflatable canoe off Gumtree ($110 with high quality 4 piece paddle) for use on camping trips as it, like the folder, stows in the car rather than on roof racks where it is more vulnerable to theft when unattended. My inflatable has five chambers for bouyancy with one being a rigid floor insert which, along with a couple of skegs, delivers good tracking. It is built with heavy duty vinyl coated polyester fabric for durability and ease of repair and weighs only a couple of kg more.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Petew » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 1:30 pm

Have a look at Gumotex boats. Not light but well made and bombproof. Not cheap.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Bill P » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 4:30 pm

Ive been attempting to build one of Tom Yosts designs for the last decade or so. http://web.archive.org/web/200710210054 ... sMenu.html

I got an inflatable kayak a few years ago which is why i havent finished the folder yet. The inflatable one is ideal for stashing in the car for the 'just in case' paddle. Not as efficient as a proper skin on frame kayak though.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wim » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 8:54 am

First of all what are your paddling skills and experience and what are you going to use it for?

For anything other than mucking around on a dam the Tucktec wont do.
If you have any serious moving water crossings/ descents in mind while trekking a packraft is the way to go.
If you want to paddle more open water and it has to be a folder the Oru Coast is a much better design, you can even roll it. Although more expensive.

I would not attempt anything solo and remote without being very confident in my gear and abilities. Kayaking and canoeing is a rewarding hobby and a great workout but have some fun first learning to deal with a capsize/reentry, paddle skills, reading moving water, rescueing your mates etc....
Wim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby bobcrusader » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 10:11 am

I have a Sevylor Quikpak - it's an inflatable, white-water capable and the seat and skirt form a backpack carry frame. Wights is just under 12kg. BCF have them on clearance right now at $200
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 4:34 pm

Mark F wrote:An interesting concept but a bit heavy for carrying any distance. The packed shape is great and the skeg important for how it tracks in the water. I would be interested to see how it deals with a capsize...

Suspect that’s asking just a tad too much of this thing. It’s interesting how different ideas are still coming through on kickstarter.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 9:05 pm

Have a look at a Gumotex Safari. Made of Nitrilon? (Zodiac material) self draining floor, removable skeg, thigh straps so possible to roll it.
Petew

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 06 Apr, 2020 1:50 pm

Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment