Aarn input and experiences please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Aarn input and experiences please

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 28 Aug, 2020 12:05 pm

Imagery courtesy of the Mr Mudd School of Dodgy Photography.
Perhaps I should patent the bottle replacing move or at least get naming rights?
Attachments
IMG_20200828_115057.jpg
IMG_20200828_115057.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stry » Sun 30 Aug, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks for that Mrs Mudd. I should have thought of reaching across with the opposite arm, as I have been doing that with seat belts forever.

Your technique works for me with my sipping bottles, but alas not for me with the big iced tea bottles - just a wee bit snug, although they do fit. Upside is that I had never considered that the pockets on my Shadow (not over shadow) would hold bottles that big and they do.

At the very least, being able to carry three litres in the pockets will reduce or eliminate the carrying of water in the pack :D Thank you. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 9:24 am

stry wrote:The OP water bottle carriers are perfectly placed for weight distribution and a slim pack profile, and are easy to access for bottle REMOVAL; but I defy anyone to replace a bottle without removing the pack. If any one has a secret, I'd love to hear it. :D

The trade off is worthwhile for me.

I do it all the time - one-handed, and using the hand on the same side as the bottle (OP Over Shadow and OP Strezleki).

I hold the bottle with my fingers pointing down and extending beyond the bottom of the bottle. The fingers go into the pocket first, then relax the grip on the bottle and just let it slide through the fingers.

I wouldn't say it's super-trivially easy, but it's not difficult. Great to be able to get the bottles in and out without having to take the pack off, or require somebody else to help (as is the case with most other packs).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby stry » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks SOAB.

I think I've tried that but had insufficient flexibility and/or dexterity to get it done.

I'll try again to make sure :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Equipment