Hammock camping vs tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hammock camping vs tents

Postby lou10 » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of research on hammock camping and it's got me pretty interested - there seems to be many benefits (lightweight, comfortable, off the ground, etc.). There also seems to be some good quality manufacturers like Tier Gear and Hennesey Hammocks.

Just looking for some of you guys' experiences with hammocks and views on them compared to the traditional tents? Does anyone swear by/against them?
Has anyone been using them for years with success or does their curved nature make it sometimes uncomfortable?

I'd love to know all your thoughts!

Cheers
lou10
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hammock camping vs tents

Postby ofuros » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 7:23 pm

They're a versatile piece of kit...i wouldn't go back to laying on the ground unless there wasn't any tree's or rocks to hang off.
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 18 Apr, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi, Lou,

There’s a small but active hammocking community around here.

I’ve been using a hammock as my primary camping solution for about 5 years now, including on the Larapinta, the Great Ocean Walk and the Great South West Walk.

Pros: a great night’s sleep. My record so far is 12 hours without waking. I’ve never done that on the ground.

Cons: a bit more fiddly to set up compared to a tent. You need two trees (or objects to hang from).

Tier Gear in Tasmania is a great place to start.
Also, have a look at hammockforums.net for information overload.
Also check out “Shug Emery” on YouTube. He’s a professional clown so his presentation can be a bit left-field but he’s a wealth of knowledge on hammocks.

And finally, the first thing to learn is that you sleep diagonally in a camping hammock which means you end up flat rather than bent like a banana.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Baka Dasai » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 8:12 pm

I've been a hammock camper for a few years. I find hammocks far more comfortable for both sleeping and lounging, and it's a nice feeling to be off the wet ground during rain.

Re weight: an ultralight hammock setup will be similar to, or perhaps a few grams heavier, than an ultralight tent setup. Basically I'd say that weight isn't an issue for or against hammocks.

ChrisJHC has good advice.

ChrisJHC wrote:Cons: a bit more fiddly to set up compared to a tent. You need two trees (or objects to hang from).

There is definitely a fiddle factor with hammocks. It's something you'll want to practice once or twice in your backyard or a local park before you head out into the bush. There's also a million different ways to do it. A tolerance, or even preference, for playing with knots and cord will be advantageous.

And it can be surprisingly hard to find two trees the right distance apart, without a bunch of undergrowth blocking the space between them. On the other hand, hammocks open up a lot of camping spots impossible for tents. Steep hills are no problem.

ChrisJHC wrote:Tier Gear in Tasmania is a great place to start.

Agreed. Tier Gear have similar products to the leading US-based cottage manufacturers, like Dutchware, Warbonnet, Hammock Gear. Hennessy stuff is a bit outdated these days.

ChrisJHC wrote:Also, have a look at hammockforums.net for information overload.

Agreed. Mountains of info there.

ChrisJHC wrote:And finally, the first thing to learn is that you sleep diagonally in a camping hammock which means you end up flat rather than bent like a banana.

This is hammocking rule No. 1. :)
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kott » Sat 18 Apr, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm glad you asked this questions Lou10...its exactly what I've been thinking and reading about. I was planning to ask before this Covid 19 started to see if anyone in Melbourne has a hammock that I could try.
I'm 190 tall and reasonably broad and I've slept in hammocks before. However, they have been those classic cloth ones and I never really was comfortable.

One thing that I really like about tents is that its my space, my little home...with hammocks you seem to be flopping in the wind under a tarp....seems like one is out in the open?

How does that feel, look from you hammokers perspective?
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Sun 19 Apr, 2020 3:41 am

Kott wrote:One thing that I really like about tents is that its my space, my little home...with hammocks you seem to be flopping in the wind under a tarp....seems like one is out in the open?

How does that feel, look from you hammokers perspective?

Most hammocks have side tieouts which can be used to minimise sway.

They're basically a levitating 1man tent mesh inner. Just add a tarp to keep out the elements & some insulation above & below to keep your body warm... the same as when using a tent.

It's sleeping zone at the end of a long day or in inclement weather but also a relaxing lounge chair for watching the setting sun or for cooking a meal.

Tarps can be set fully enclosed to weather a battering from a Tassie cold front or wide open to allow airflow in our sultry Tropics

Setting up below the treeline, on rocky uneven terrain, steep inclines, short undergrowth, dense forest, no problems...caught out exposed above the treeline & you'll have to get creative, bring a pad as a backup & use like bivvy under the tarp for the night. :D

Two main types of hammock...Gathered End & Bridge hammocks.
All are infinitely customizable. 8)

As with anything new, there's a initial learning curve but once you've set one up a few times...you can do it with your eye's closed. :wink:

Screenshot_2020-04-19_022815.jpg

Screenshot_2020-04-19_021300.jpg

Another good resource for hammock info...Derek Hansen covers the hammocking pros & cons and so much more.
http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Turfa » Sun 19 Apr, 2020 7:03 am

I tried hammocking for a while as I thought the concept was great. I eventually went back to a tent. I am a very restless sleeper, moving around a lot during the night, and I felt like I was always 'fighting' the hammock. I often end up sleeping on my stomach and while in a hammock you sleep almost flat, there is enough curvature that if you end up on your stomach it is very uncomfortable (and I felt like i was suffocating !)

As someone already pointed out, there is not really any weight saving with a hammock, and I would also say that site selection is the same, you gain some options but lose others.

I think it is something you really have to try to see if it is for you.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby neilmny » Sun 19 Apr, 2020 11:05 am

Being a side sleeper I've got no chance if you have to sleep on your back.
Pity as they look like they are easier to set up compared to tent (flat ground etc. required)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Sun 19 Apr, 2020 11:50 am

In the tropics I am 100% hammock. Much cooler to sleep in and can camp just about anywhere (unlike a tent).

In Tassie/NZ mountains, 100% tent. Much more comfortable to live in if it is cold, wet and windy.

For places inbetween (not too hot, not too cold) you could go either way.

I find side sleeping just fine with the diagonal lay but not stomach sleeping.
nq111

Postby ofuros » Sun 19 Apr, 2020 12:57 pm

neilmny wrote:Being a side sleeper I've got no chance if you have to sleep on your back.
Pity as they look like they are easier to set up compared to tent (flat ground etc. required)

I'm a side sleeper...no problems when using a Gathered End or Bridge hammock.

In general, it's a bit like a runners Vs boot, Aarn Vs normal packs, toilet paper Vs bottle bidet, alcohol Vs gas stove debates...some will be thinking why change I've always walked this way, while some are curious, will try & embrace the change if it suits them. Walk your own walk...through the bush & throughout your own life. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Mon 20 Apr, 2020 8:58 pm

yeah Ofuros and nq111, that makes complete sense and all valid points.

I've travelled in tropics quite a lot and the hammock is the way to go...granted I never had one of these modern ones.

I agree - if you are in the Alps and you see a nice little spot between trees - most of the time, the hammock would be perfect. Hence I'm looking into it to have yet another option.

I assume you all have gathered end hammocks - how do they go if you are taller than average ie 190
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 20 Apr, 2020 9:26 pm

I’m 184 cm and fit fine in an 11 foot gathered end hammock.
According to Warbonnet, their 11 foot hammock is good for people up to 6’6” (198 cm).

I’m sure Simon from Tier Gear can provide local info.
ChrisJHC

Postby Happy Pirate » Mon 20 Apr, 2020 9:57 pm

I've been trying solo hammocking here in Vic this year and would only go back to a tent if sharing with a partner or in serious bad weather. The level of comfort is second to none and I love the 'guerrilla camping' aspect of being able to hang in the bush, over a stream or wherever and not needing a defined camp.
I bought a cheap silk and mesh hammock off Ali Express for $30 and it is light, comfortable and better designed than my $100 Ferrino. It would be a great way to try it out on a budget.

With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lou10 » Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:15 pm

Happy Pirate wrote:I've been trying solo hammocking here in Vic this year and would only go back to a tent if sharing with a partner or in serious bad weather. The level of comfort is second to none and I love the 'guerrilla camping' aspect of being able to hang in the bush, over a stream or wherever and not needing a defined camp.
I bought a cheap silk and mesh hammock off Ali Express for $30 and it is light, comfortable and better designed than my $100 Ferrino. It would be a great way to try it out on a budget.

Wow that looks amazing! Do you remember the name or brand (if there was one) of the hammock? Plenty of cheap stuff out there for sure, but often it's hard to distinguish between quality on ebay, aliexpress etc.
lou10
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 10:42 am

That is one place I would never hang a hammock, even if I was into them. Because you just know that at some stage you're going to get up in the night needing to wring out the bladder, and you'll go the wrong way . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 11:10 am

north-north-west wrote:That is one place I would never hang a hammock, even if I was into them. Because you just know that at some stage you're going to get up in the night needing to wring out the bladder, and you'll go the wrong way . . .

All you need is a catheter and a tube. ;-)
Huntsman247

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 11:23 am

Ouch.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 11:41 am

Huntsman247 wrote:
north-north-west wrote:That is one place I would never hang a hammock, even if I was into them. Because you just know that at some stage you're going to get up in the night needing to wring out the bladder, and you'll go the wrong way . . .

All you need is a catheter and a tube. ;-)

A pee bottle is far more comfortable. And cheaper.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 11:59 am

Happy Pirate wrote:I've been trying solo hammocking here in Vic this year and would only go back to a tent if sharing with a partner or in serious bad weather. The level of comfort is second to none and I love the 'guerrilla camping' aspect of being able to hang in the bush, over a stream or wherever and not needing a defined camp.

Thats great idea...Can you remember that brand you got?
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Happy Pirate » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 6:39 pm

Kott wrote:Thats great idea...Can you remember that brand you got?

That one was my old Ferrino but my new favourite is a no name silk and mesh hammock that they sell a lot of on ebay and Ali Express. It's lighter and wider than my old one and doesn't need a ridgeline to keep the mesh off my face. Quality has been pretty decent.
Not wanting to promote any particular retailer but this is the one I bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000228882444.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.70874c4dRtPpbI
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 6:43 pm

I did perfect the art of peeing, ahem, 'in situ' that night ;-)
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 25 Apr, 2020 9:20 pm

Its certainly worth a try, and with good info going in, you'll be able to skip lots of the pitfalls that are peculiar to hammocks. My first few nights were quite cold as I didn't fully appreciate how much heat can be lost via the bottom. And in fact for me, even on "hot" nights I can get a very cold back if I don't set up carefully. On the other hand, cool and dry is somewhat preferable to warm but damp, and in high humidity environments, it can be much more comfortable up high than pasted to an air mat. I have come to accept that I've just got really poor thermal regulation, not much that can be done about that.
There is always a new innovation and new concepts being tried, though keep in mind that North American trees are very different from ours and so some of the things that are totally acceptable there, just would not be smart here. But so long as you take more than half a minute to apply the info to your situation, you'll do fine.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WetSocks » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 7:09 pm

Just had to jump in. I finally had the opportunity to really get back into it after 2 decades away from the farm. I was getting really frustrated going through all the options and I wanted and associated equipment list and so on. I wanted to hammock comfortably in all weather but wanted a ground based option for nights on the beach, open ground etc.

Stumbled upon this https://owlypacks.com it checked a whole lot of boxes straight away.
Hammock, rainfly, ground option without resorting to a bivvy. 2 person.

Suddenly that disposable income I had sitting around up and disappeared. Being that it's a new product I really hope it turns out ok. The tent/hammock arrangement looks like an absolute winner though I see it may need a bit of macguyvering to be suitable for 4 seasons. Also it brings in at just under 3kg but hopefully it reduces the need for extra equipment.

Whole thing was inspired by a couple of bad nights in Perth.
WetSocks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GregG » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 3:36 pm

Hey Happy Pirate, thanks for the link to Aliexpress. I found that the same seller is also advertising an even better product in the form of a double hammock with net and fly which amongst its many virtues has this: "The sky can also be removed and then come to the local pad". *&%$#! brilliant, how many times have we been out in the donga looking forward to enjoying some good quality camping when the sky lets us down? - too bright, too dull, too blue, too black, too hot too wet. Well, now we can simply remove the sky completely and, viola, our troubles are over! With the added bonus that we can go to the local pad. I love it and to think you can do all of this for just $39.99 plus postage.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby Aushiker » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 5:57 pm

WetSocks wrote:Stumbled upon this https://owlypacks.com it checked a whole lot of boxes straight away.
Hammock, rainfly, ground option without resorting to a bivvy. 2 person.

Interesting. The weight, however, frightens me, but a comment on one of the pages on their website brought up Kammok Hammock Tents. Maybe another option at around a kg lighter (trail weight) but I notice their packed weight is 2.83 kg so marginally lighter.

There is a Kickstarter for their Sundra 2 model due out in November 2020. Its packed weight is 2.63 kg.

Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Neo » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 9:11 pm

The idea is a winner!
A hammock.
Attached bug net and fly.
Add poles to make it a tent.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WetSocks » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 7:17 am

Yeah but I needed a pack too. So I brought the whole lot.
WetSocks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Aushiker » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 10:39 am

WetSocks wrote:Yeah but I needed a pack too. So I brought the whole lot.

Fair enough. Will be interesting to see how you find it.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Kott » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 12:54 pm

i had a look at it too..the larger two person option but it seems thats not really suitable for anybody taller than 180cm but I could be wrong...
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 2:58 pm

Hmmm, most people find that these “all in one” hammocks aren’t as good as single-purpose ones.

They tend to be on the short side and made of cheaper materials that often weigh considerably more.

Most people also find that you can’t really fit two people into a hammock as you end up squashed together. Okay for a short while but usually not for a night.

You may be lucky but, if not, please don’t write off the whole hammocking scene!
ChrisJHC

Next

Return to Equipment