Nemo Switchback - more comfortable than Zlite

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nemo Switchback - more comfortable than Zlite

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 10:41 am

I recently purchased a Nemo Switchback small torso length pad. (Closed cell foam - similar to the Thermarest Zlite)

I haven't seen anything written about it on Bushwalk although I may have missed something somewhere.

But I just wanted to mention it to others on here, as it's noticeably more comfortable to lie on than the Thermarest Z-lite. The dimpling has been done differently - with taller, wider nodes.

I bought this pad to fulfil a few functions:
- As a larger sit pad for my 4 year old daughter and I.
- As extra layer underneath my daughter's torso length Nemo Tensor insulated pad, to add 2 R value and also protect from anything poking up from the ground will help protect her inflatable pad against.
- As redundancy in case either one of us had our pad had a faulty valve or sprung a leak somewhere on the pad and if I couldn't successfully patch it, then it's a back-up pad useful to have if we're several days into a multi-day hike.

As the torso length folds up relatively small, it actually fits easily into the side pocket water bottle compartment of my backpack.

Weight: A little heavier than I hoped at 311 grams on my scales. (Advertised weight was 300 grams)
Size: 130 x 51 x 2 cm
Pack size: 51 x 13 x 10.5 cm
R value: 2

I won't be intentionally sleeping on the Nemo Switchback as a stand-alone pad, unless in an emergency / inflatable pad leak situation, but I believe I could sleep on this pad successfully. It's just that slight bit more comfortable than the Zlite but enough to potentially make the difference to my being able to sleep successfully, which in such circumstances would be priceless benefit. Lying both side-by-side on a hard floor and trying each in turns, it's noticeable the comfort factor. (And I'm a side-sleeper)

So in any case I thought I'd mention this in case of relevance to anyone on the Bushwalk forum, or if anyone is tossing up between the Thermarest Zlite and Nemo Switchback. It's potentially 20 grams heavier though, if Thermarest's advertised weight of 290 grams is correct - my Switchback is 311 grams (advertised 300 grams).

Best, Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Nemo Switchback - more comfortable than Zlite

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 1:09 pm

Good feedback.
I have nearly pulled the trigger a few times to use for additional insulation for Winter camping.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Nemo Switchback - more comfortable than Zlite

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 07 Jun, 2020 8:35 pm

I have the regular switchback. It weighs 427g on my kitchen scales vs the 415g claimed weight. I find it's thick enough I can sleep on my side OK. I thought the R value may have been a bit higher because it does seem pretty warm. I stopped using it because a Blackwolf 3/4 length ultralight SIM is more comfortable, less bulky and weighs slightly less.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment