Non-insulated shell gloves

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Non-insulated shell gloves

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:10 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent goretex type shell glove?
To be worn as part of a glove layering system as the outer layer.
Cheers in advance.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Non-insulated shell gloves

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:56 pm

Heavy duty black Dishwashing gloves work pretty well if you need gloves that won't leak in wet conditions. Light weight, robust and pair well with fleece inners.

Breathbility is of course zero but it depends how much you sweat on your hands.

Also won't break the bank..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 4:09 am

If your not raising your heart rate when you expect to be wearing the shells, then perhaps breathability isn't much of a factor.
It is commonly believed however that 70% of heat loss is through the hands, head and feet. So, there is a good chance that breathability IS a factor.

I wouldn't go past a quality option because it is not something you want to fail if and when you're likely to really need them. Black Diamond or Outdoor Research both have a good range of options. Personally, i prefer a mitt because there is still reasonable dexterity but you're eliminating the need for so much seam sealing which is a likely cost factor and a point of potential wear or failure.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 9:01 am

I've found that Windstopper gloves work almost as well as a stitched shell
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 11:13 am

Aardvark wrote:If your not raising your heart rate when you expect to be wearing the shells, then perhaps breathability isn't much of a factor.
It is commonly believed however that 70% of heat loss is through the hands, head and feet. So, there is a good chance that breathability IS a factor.

I wouldn't go past a quality option because it is not something you want to fail if and when you're likely to really need them. Black Diamond or Outdoor Research both have a good range of options. Personally, i prefer a mitt because there is still reasonable dexterity but you're eliminating the need for so much seam sealing which is a likely cost factor and a point of potential wear or failure.
I plan to use them mostly when I'm not exerting myself too much. However I want something that will be easier to dry out when getting wet. Since I have no more trust in any waterproof statements. However my hands do sweat a lot so I would prefer goretex over just a rubber glove.
Having the waterproof membrane on the inside of heaps of insulation and fabric like most gloves doesn't make much sense to me...
Had a look at the bd & or line up. The bd helio 3 looks more promising. Wish bd did a fingered version of their w/p overmits.
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 11:20 am

What size are your hands?
I have a pair of OR shell gloves with a dislocated Goretex liner that you can have to experiment with IF you can be bothered hand tacking the 3 layers back together; XL in size.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 11:31 am

Moondog55 wrote:What size are your hands?
I have a pair of OR shell gloves with a dislocated Goretex liner that you can have to experiment with IF you can be bothered hand tacking the 3 layers back together; XL in size.

Thanks MD but my hands are a wee bit smaller at size M. The outer layer might have to be a L at the most...
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 11:42 am

Over the years I have come and gone on various ways of keeping my hands from frostbite and I have come back to mitten shells as the best way to do it. So much so that I now have 3 separate mitten shells in various sizes to fit different thickness of inners, up to and including the OR insulated shells for working in -30's
These are indicative of what I have now.
http://www.bogong.com.au/outdoor-clothi ... mitts.html

http://www.bogong.com.au/outdoor-clothi ... har-1.html
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 2:11 pm

Ill throw a vote in for heavy duty dishwashing gloves. I use the black Ansell ones from Woolies/Coles.

Goretex gloves are a lot like Goretex boots... Once they are wet, and they will get wet, they take forever to dry and become incredibly uncomfortable.

Yes, the dishwashing gloves don't breath and do make your hands sweat but they keep the cold water out and last forever. The long gauntlets are great under rain jacket sleeves.

I pair them with different weights of fleece gloves depending on how cold I think it will be.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/pr ... xtra-large
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Martin » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 3:41 pm

The OR Arete is an option that provides minimal insulation. I like a lot about them, including their waterproofness and dexterity. They're just not very warm! Of course, you could buy separate inner gloves and make your own system. The Helio 3 in 1 also looks like a nice option.
Martin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby Tino B » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 8:05 pm

I bought OR Shuksan mitts from Trekkinn.com for less than $100AUD in a large, and they fit over a variety of liners, including Dexshell gloves. I usually wear large gloves so the sizing is right for over mitts. They perform well and stay dry as long as there’s no ingress from water running down jacket sleeves.

They are out of stock at Trekkinn but mediums are available on Amazon Prime for $124.99. The same mitts are $199 at Bogong.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 10:00 pm

Overmittens while not the easiest of MYOG to do very well are easy to make good enough and in proofed nylon about $6- worth of fabric
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment