Hiking tent for Overland

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hiking tent for Overland

Postby Mordecai » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 10:48 pm

Hey guys - I've just booked in to do the Overland in November and need some advice on what to do with my tents.

I bought an old (80's?) Macpac Olympus tent off Gumtree for $100 and have taken it on multiple overnight hikes and it's been great. It's pretty light weight, sturdy and very warm, but on my last trip it was raining and I found that water seeps up through the bathtub and also the fly is not waterproof anymore. I want to try and re-waterproof it with silicone spray designed for gear like this. Has anyone had any success with fixing up an old tent with this type of spray?

I also bought a Oneplanet Nissen Hut off Gumtree but haven't been able to take it for a spin due to COVID. It's going to be a solid tent that can withstand bad weather, but it also weighs in at 3.5kg. How much does the average 2 person 4 season tent weigh? Is 3.5kg super heavy for this type of tent?

I am definitely open to buying a new tent. I don't mind spending a bit of cash to get something light weight that will last for a long while, but I would rather avoid that if you think one of the other tents I have is suitable. I'd much rather spend my money on some new boots and gaiters. What are your thoughts?
Mordecai
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hiking tent for Overland

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 8:00 am

Yes, that is heavy. Your One Planet 'Nissen Hut' is designed for school expeditions and similar uses, and therefore is made tough, not light.

One Planet's 'Goondie' 2 person tent, for example, is 1.5 - 2 kg (depending on the variant)... ~ half the weight.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Petew » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 8:16 am

Have a look in the market square section of this site. There is a mountain hardware fortress 2p for sale there.

Silicone spray or reproofing a tent from the 80s? I wouldn't bother. You want a reliably waterproof shelter in the OT

The fortress or goondie are suitable tents. A free standing tent is a little easier to use on the platforms.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Petew » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 8:21 am

Actually, looks like the fortress has sold.

To someone in Tassie.
Petew

Postby Mordecai » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 10:50 pm

Thanks guys - all good advice. I'll pass these tents onto someone else and look at getting a free standing 2p 4 season.

I didn't know there was a market section on this site - so thanks for that. I'll keep my eye out, as we're not booked in until the end of November.

Can you recommend any other 2p 4 season tents to look at around the $500-$600 price range? Or is it worth spending more on a really good tent if I want it to last a long time?
Mordecai
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joynz » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 12:39 am

Do you really need a 4-season tent?

For the last few years I used an Exped Mira II - 3 season Tent. I found that because it had well placed solid panels on a lot of the inner it was quite warm and wind proof. I have never used it in snow though.

But the point is that similar designs in other (good brands) 3 season tents might be fine for your needs.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Azza » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 9:43 am

I tend to think of 4 season tents in terms of Tassie as hurricane rated rather than snow.
I've used a 2p 3 season tent solo for years on extended expeditions. You need to be careful about where you pitch it if the weather is bad.

If your planning on mostly recognised walks which generally have sheltered campsite a 3 season tent would be fine.
The main consideration is weight and if you want to pitch in the open in storm.

I'm not sure what you expect in terms of waterproofing? Almost all tents have some seepage through the floor, hence we use a groundsheet.
The fly gets wet, the point is that it should sit off the tent so it's not transferring water directly onto the inner.
Factory waterproof of the fabric never last that long, that is my impression anyway. I guess if it's soaking straight through its worth trying something.

Tassie being a maritime climate the air can be think with moisture which gets into everything.
Azza

Postby Joynz » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 1:24 pm

In my experience water does not seep into the floor of a tent from underneath - normally.

The lighter tents won’t usually be as durable (hence the need for a footprint to protect the floor from abrasion - which will cause seepage. Swings and roundabouts.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clarence » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 6:49 pm

Most of the macpac tents had super heavy duty floors from the early 90s onwards. (Not sure about the 80s.) If it is a light grey fabric with a heavy PVC coating, it would have originally had something like a 10,000mm water head (meaning seriously waterproof). If it is leaking, the fabric is probably past its use by date.

Many of the spray on coatings are average at best.

The nissen is at the heavy end of the "backpacking" spectrum, but not ridiculously heavy. A similar top end tent of the same rating would be 1kg less. If it is waterproof and you don't want to spend $600, it would probably be okay.

Free standing is not an essential. 4 seasons is not essential for the Overland Track. There are at least semi-sheltered spots at all of the camp sites/huts.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 6:58 pm

The OP Nissen is tiny tho if you are even a little bigger than average, OP did mention its strength when I was at the factory checking things out while picking up my rejuvenated sleeping bag.
I've never seen a waterproof rating for the Macpac/Fairydown tent floors but I think it would have been a lot more than 10,000mm What made those tent floors work so well is that PVC proofing is a total vapour barrier so pressure put on the floor by feet/hands/bum/gear etc wouldn't push vapour through it and so the tents were much drier inside after days on end
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 11:39 pm

I had an Olympus (1991 model) and it had that super heavy duty floor fabric. Not the lightest tent in the world but it could take an absolute hammering. Great tent, never leaked or collapsed.
Petew

Postby Watertank » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 8:32 am

Mordecai
I’ve hiked the Overland twice with a One Planet Goodie 2 person tent with the 30d fly and the full rather than the mesh interior. It is a great tent. You will find many people on this site have recommended it. One Planet is Melbourne based and has a reputation of excellent customer service. There are lighter tents out there and cheaper and more expensive tents out there, and I have a number of other tents in those categories! But for your use as a reliable, easy to set up tent that is what I would recommend. If you do a google search you will find that at least one retailer has them on special at the moment. It isn’t completely free standing but almost and it works well on the platforms on the overland.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 8:42 am

Here is my Goodie on the Overland in November 2013.
Attachments
E26BD6E9-E761-4FD1-BF10-A8274B81DEC4.jpeg
E26BD6E9-E761-4FD1-BF10-A8274B81DEC4.jpeg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 13233 times
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mordecai » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your replies. I know it's been a long while since my original post but all of your comments helped me decide on a tent.

I've been tossing up between a few ultra light tents but wasn't sure it they'd be durable or warm enough for Tassie. I've decided on a Oneplanet Goondie 2 Nylon 30D. Was tempted to get the snow version but thought the Nylon 30D is a good middle ground and can be used all year round. The tent won't just be used for Overland as I live down in Tasmania and will be using it for many (hopefully) years to come. So definitely needed to get something that can withstand a bit of wind and warm enough for possible snow.

I really like that One Planet sell a separate inner for these tents too. If I go hiking somewhere hotter in Aus i'll be able to purchase a mesh inner to make it much cooler. The tubs of these tents are super durable too which was a bit of a concern for me. Very much wanted to buy from an Aussie company as well so it's a winner there.

Looks like a very sturdy, durable and reasonably light weight tent for about $780. I can even buy one local from a shop here in Hobart.
Mordecai
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 4:39 pm

Sambar358 has a fly for sale cheap if you want to get a back-up for later on.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31525
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment