Osprey bags stock levels

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Osprey bags stock levels

Postby ferby » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi, I'm looking at buying my first hiking pack. After Osprey Aura AG 65. I don't have a store near me that stocks them so been looking online but many Australian sites are out of stock for the size/color I am after. Have I just missed out on sale, or are there general stock issues due to Covid, or other reason I can't think of? Should I wait till they are back in stock, or order from overseas? I don't need it till end of September. Same question about daypack, wanted to get Mira 26 or Mira 34, can't find in stock anywhere. Thanks
ferby
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Osprey bags stock levels

Postby PedalRoll » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 8:07 am

I can recommend going into a reputable store and trying on alternatives. As this is your first pack then I am sure you will find one that meets your criteria.
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 11:45 am

The Mira may well be discontinued so only remaining stock listed.

I have the 34lt Mira in the grey/aquaish combo. Bought it off Gumtree ?3 years ago from someone who had bought it to walk a Camino that they never did. The hydration bladder lasted awesomely and I used it on all my trips skince purchase. Sadly I lost some parts to it so that is the only reason it is retired. The pack itself still looks brand new- embarassingly so :lol: It is like I just bought it from a store to go walking with. I have flogged it yet it looks great. It is supremely comfortable, but I will say, over engineered for a day pack with the AG harness it has. I do appreciate the harness system when fully loaded out, but most trips it is not really necessary. I did own an Aura for a few years too until I got too small for it. I was happy with it. My kids have a Renn and a smaller older kids pack from Osprey too purchased 2nd hand from a forum member. Even my daughters school bag is a pay it forward Osprey day pack from a fellow forum member, so have used the brand a lot :wink:

I understand the issues with trying things on when you don't live close to a store. I have the same issue so tend to go through some gear in the quest to get things right.

If you can look at some other brands, you may well find some packs that suit you better than the Ospreys. Having said that, I have been really impressed over the years with the quality and the customer service too, which I did have to use when I overstuffed my backpack and broke a zip. They do stand by their lifetime warranty.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby mikeRsyd » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 11:53 am

Go to a store and try them on, YouTube videos and reviews can all say one thing but when you try it on it feels weird or doesn't fit. I was in the market for a stratos or mantra once upon a time and I walked out the store with previous generation exos 48. Like you I was looking for a larger hiking pack and smaller pack around the same time. My mind was made up by all the reviews and good videos but the second I put it on it was a dead no. If you tried it on already go for it. Consider the eja if your gear in is light.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aushiker » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 12:02 pm

Have you considered overseas supplies? https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ might be worth a look.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ferby » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks for suggestions. Sorry I should have mentioned I have tried on Aura 65. I got it properly sized and fitted in store but I wasn't quite ready to purchase at a time (that I'm now regretting). Hence looking at buying it online as I know my size & how it feels. Just surprised so many online stores are out of stock for the size/colour I'm after.

The other bag would be mainly for short weekend overnight trips and day hikes. I'll see if I can get one second hand.
ferby
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lamont » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 2:25 pm

ferby wrote:Thanks for suggestions. Sorry I should have mentioned I have tried on Aura 65. I got it properly sized and fitted in store but I wasn't quite ready to purchase at a time (that I'm now regretting). Hence looking at buying it online as I know my size & how it feels. Just surprised so many online stores are out of stock for the size/colour I'm after.

The other bag would be mainly for short weekend overnight trips and day hikes. I'll see if I can get one second hand.

https://www.paddypallin.com.au/osprey-a ... -pack.html
No good?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 9:50 pm

I've had success buying online, usually loads of pondering and comparing without trying on. Backpacks, tents and most of the bits.

Can be a case of too many choices, then when a decision is made... who's got one in that colour!

Ultralight UK post to Aus, maybe 2 weeks.
Another is outdoorfair.de but can take a bit longer.

Locally the bigger store names are quick to post, the smaller retailers just as good.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment