Gaiters for flat soled boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gaiters for flat soled boots

Postby Iamspartacus » Fri 01 Jan, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi,

I need some advice please re full height (knee high) gaiters that will work with flat soled (no heel) boots.

I wear plush Hoka sand shoe style boots with a flat sole and am looking for gaiters that work on boots without a heel.

What do people commonly use/what works?

I’m thinking of getting a pair of stiff (Wilderness Equipment?) gaiters and just wearing them without straps under my boots.

Or alternatively is it better to replace the straps with strong cord (like the ultra high-molecular-weight polyethylene that the Z-packs gaiters use).

Thank you in advance for your help, experience, suggestions - much appreciated.
Iamspartacus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Gaiters for flat soled boots

Postby ribuck » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 12:01 am

Most full height gaiters have a clip or hook suitable for securing them onto the bottom row of the laces. This works well for most uses, e.g. keeping detritus out, mitigating snake bite, protecting from bumps and scratches, and eliminating sunburn - although it won't keep out deep Tasmanian or NZ mud.

I have successfully worn full length Sea To Summit gaiters with Volleys and KT26s.

My wife wears Wilderness Equipment gaiters in the same way.

Also, there are orienteering gaiters, made without underfoot straps, and attached by threading the shoelaces through eyelets at the bottom of the gaiters. However, they usually have thinner fabric than bushwalking gaiters, combined with a little padding over the shinbone, and while they are very breathable and comfortable they wouldn't offer as much protection against snakebite.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 7:53 am

Years ago a gaiters I saw used very thin stainless steel wire under the foot. You can buy SS wire and tiny swages and eyes and use the wire tied to the gaiter with shock cord. The wire will last quite a long time. An alternative would be soft SS tie wire with twisted eyes at each end and ordinary polyester cord.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1-60 ... e_p3040626

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-1m ... e_p4310957
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 8:41 am

Iamspartacus wrote:Hi,

I need some advice please re full height (knee high) gaiters that will work with flat soled (no heel) boots.

I wear plush Hoka sand shoe style boots with a flat sole and am looking for gaiters that work on boots without a heel.

What do people commonly use/what works?

I’m thinking of getting a pair of stiff (Wilderness Equipment?) gaiters and just wearing them without straps under my boots.

G'day I wear the One Planet (which are quite stiff mainly canvas) ones often with the bottom strap just pushed behind my ankle-not looped under the foot very often.
Works absolutely fine and the gaiter holds exactly the same shape as if the loop was under the foot, no issue whatsoever in conditions where it wont be pushed up by bush/mud/shrubs etc.
If you are thinking snakey type dry open walking situations it works no problem. I can't vouch for the other popular ones such as the Quagmire ones but if they are stiff canvassy stuff you should be fine.
You can get some of the nylony stuff from most places if you had to replace it-I had One Planet replace a pair once for almost no cost-I wear runners almost all the time with a flat sole as well. Some have mentioned fishing trace wire also or some such stuff. Not an issue.
Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Bam » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 8:54 am

+1 for wearing the S2S Quagmire gaiters without the bottom strap attached, the gaiter holds its shape well due to the stiff canvas construction, my wife & I both use them like that on our Topo’s without any problems whatsoever, obviously if wading through deep mud then some additional support might be required.
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 8:58 am

Depends on the terrain your walking in but you could try moxie shin/shoe gaiters. They are made for adventure racing/trail running though the bush in sports shoes.

https://www.moxiegear.com.au/moxie-shin-gaiters

Durability may be a concern however adventure racers/trail runners seem to like them.

I haven't tried them.

If you're walking off track or reguarly through undergrowth or mud I would choose a more classic bushwalking gaiter like sea to summit quagmire or outdoor research expedition crocodiles. As others mentioned above they should work (with some drawbacks) on no heel boots/shoes.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Sat 02 Jan, 2021 5:40 pm

One idea is to use velcro, sewn to the heel end of the gaiter and the other part glued to the boot. The velcro will pop loose if stressed enough but will hold in some situations, particularly if you use the really heavy duty velcro. Alternatively you could glue a metal hook to the back of your boot and coonect the gaiter to that via bungie or plain cord.

Just thinking out loud...
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 03 Jan, 2021 10:50 am

I have a pair of Mountain Designs gaiters (bought maybe 4 years ago?) that I use with trail runners, I always put the strap under the sole and am yet to wear through the original strap, only issue with these sort of gaiters with trail runners for me is that the back of the gaiters are elasticised, so they can ride up over the heel, allowing debris into the back of my shoe, but I mostly wear them for snakey purposes and just shake out my shoe if needed. Straight/flat at the back would work better for sure though, if the MD pair ever wear out, I will probably get some OP gaiters.
S2S Quagmire do not work for me, I bought some with a gift voucher and had to return them. I am short (5 foot) with muscley calves so the sizing is just no good.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Jan, 2021 12:09 pm

Unpick the elastic or add a couple of self adhesive Velcro dots to keep the heel outside and down. Brickies string is reasonably wear resistant and at $5- to $6-- for 100m rolls cheap enough to replace every month or so
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 04 Jan, 2021 7:55 am

I've been replacing my gaiter straps with thin Stainless Steel trace. Crimped to a small split ring at each end to easily connect it to the gaiter. Sugru around the crimp and and of wire trace so sharp bits dont damage your shoe.
Works really well. Not the cheapest option but probs the longest lasting. But if you happen to already have the materials...
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Peaksnik » Mon 04 Jan, 2021 11:32 am

Instead of making your own try these from NZ but available from Macpac:

https://www.macpac.com.au/hike/activity/hiking/aspiring-safety-gaiter-ties/111442.html
Peaksnik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Mon 04 Jan, 2021 11:43 am

I have Hoka Speedgoats and Arkali’s which both have flat soles. I switched my gaiter straps to Dyneema guy line and measured where they should go for a good fit. I used a sharp blade to then cut of the lugs so there was effectively a channel in the arch area of the sole for the guy line. The same line has survived a week in Tassie on dolerite and numerous trips to the Grampians. I always carry a hank of guy line, so can replace at any time.

Wilderness Equipment canvas gaiters are about as tough as you can get and stand up on their own, even with the top undone for venting.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iamspartacus » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 1:43 am

Thanks all, really helpful :)

Andy
Iamspartacus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia