Blackwolf Mackinley 75 litre pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Blackwolf Mackinley 75 litre pack

Postby Hikrazy » Thu 14 Jan, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Mackinley 75 backpack by Blackwolf.
I used mine for 7 months on day hikes and multi day, and maximum weight carried was 8kg base + 4kg water + a few kilos of food. As seen in photo, the adjustable plastic guide to adjust the torso length bent while picking up the pack which dug into my neck bone.
On the day I re adjusted the pack in a low position to get me through the rest of the day.
I have never been able to carry the pack again in the correct position without it bending into me neck, even with less weight in it.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Attachments
20210114_175507.jpg
20210114_175507.jpg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Blackwolf Mackinley 75 litre pack

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 15 Jan, 2021 5:20 am

Assuming you didn't pick the loaded pack up by the plastic guide and it just bent during normal use it's seems to be a design or manufacturing defect.

Contact Black wolf and see what they say. If they won't repair or replace it then I'd return to your place of purchase and ask for a refund under the consumer guarantee.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Fri 15 Jan, 2021 9:38 am

Hikrazy wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the Mackinley 75 backpack by Blackwolf.
I used mine for 7 months on day hikes and multi day, and maximum weight carried was 8kg base + 4kg water + a few kilos of food. As seen in photo, the adjustable plastic guide to adjust the torso length bent while picking up the pack which dug into my neck bone.
On the day I re adjusted the pack in a low position to get me through the rest of the day.
I have never been able to carry the pack again in the correct position without it bending into me neck, even with less weight in it.
Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a 55L and a an 85L McKinley and I can't even see where that plastic slide is in either one. Mine both have steel slides in them and are around 7 or 8 years old.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hikrazy » Fri 15 Jan, 2021 9:51 am

Thanks
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby commando » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 2:14 am

I have the Blackwolf Colombia 60 litre and just like Neil two metal slides in line with the straps and nothing in the middle.
Just wondering if its a counterfeit replica. Where did you buy it?
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Hikrazy » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 4:03 am

Anaconda.
And it is registered with blackwolf.
I have contacted them is have dropped it off at Anaconda and are waiting for a response.
I think it is a poor design as the weight of the whole pack centres on that one plastic ruler. There are two metal rods either side, but they don't hold any weight. Apart from that I love the pack.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hikrazy » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 4:06 pm

Xxx update xxX

New replacement pack is on its way.
Deemed to be a faulty component.
Hope this is the case, as I like to pack.

Thanks for the posts
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment