Gloves recommendation?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gloves recommendation?

Postby Staceykate » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 9:48 am

I'm looking for gloves for Melbourne winter... for multi day hikes and that would hold up to the occasional rock scrambling.

Probably doesn't need to be waterproof at this stage... I think I'd take them off if it was really raining.

So warm, but that would hold up to wear. Any suggestions?

Doesn't have to be a womens version, but if it's a mens version would definately need to have a small size (and womens probably preferred...)
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Gloves recommendation?

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 10:36 am

I can't think of a single glove that would do all of that but a neoprene mechanics glove with a light liner might come close. Not very pretty for a round town tho.
Possum fur gloves from NZ are warm but not very tough and scrambling sort of demands tough. When it gets cold I use mittens with shells or simply the same gloves with mitten shells over the top to keep the wind off. Have to say tho that I'm a glove junkie and have way more than I really need.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 10:39 am

It's hard to find gloves to fit a small adult hand. If you can get hold of Ninja Ice work gloves in Medium (they don't go any smaller, damn and blast them), they may be a little large (I find them only slightly so and I generally need small women's or even XS) but they're comfortable, warm and hardwearing. They make excellent scrub gloves and last quite well on rock. Any colour as long as it's black. Still warm when wet but, being double thickness, they take ages to dry once they do get properly wet.

I find ski gloves, while warm, generally don't come in small enough sizes and don't cope with scrub or rock.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby matagi » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:12 am

I have a pair of Descente cycling gloves that are a thin polar fleece fabric with the Descente logo in some sort of grippy material arranged in a random pattern on the palms and fingers. They also work fine when wet. As far as I can tell, Descente no longer make these gloves, but I reckon you could find something similar if you checked out a reasonable cycling shop.

EDIT: I think rhe grippy material is silicone and I forgot to add they have stood up to some minor rock scrambling so far.
Last edited by matagi on Sat 16 Jan, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:42 am

I have a pair of Phlex ski gloves which I bought from our local disposals store when they closed down a few years ago. They are sized “L” so must be a kids’ size - I have small hand and they are pretty snug. Not bad warmth wise and reasonably robust.

Aldi ski gloves might be worth trying, assuming they will have their Snow Gear sale in May this year.

I also have a pair of Aldi fleece gloves exactly the same as the pale green ones for $4.99 at the top if this page:
https://www.catalogueau.com/aldi/aldi-c ... gear-2019/
( go to page 27)

They wouldn’t stand up to rock scrambling..... but are seriously the warmest gloves I own.
Eremophila

Postby commando » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 5:43 pm

I use these for everything, tight fit, about $14 at the Ballarat Market.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby stry » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 6:57 pm

Damart Thermolactyl.

Should be able to get them on line (if they ares still made). Warm, OK when wet, wear remarkably well for a simple glove.

I suffer from cold hands (and the cold generally nowadays) and a have drawer full of various gloves and mittens.

Whatever combination I am using at any given time, the Damarts are either part of it, or coming along as spares.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rai » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 9:45 pm

The FPR102 Coolflex AGT Winter gloves made by Force360 are quite grippy on rocks. They are designed for dexterity in wet, cold conditions and I find them very comfortable to wear. Around $12 for a pair.
https://www.force360.com.au/files/HandP_Datasheets/Force360_GFPR102_Data_Sheet.pdf
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 17 Jan, 2021 7:47 pm

I've had the outdoor research versaliner gloves for around 8-10 years. They are brilliant. A lovely weight glove for walking, and when the weather turns bad, they have a pertex shield over glove that lives in a zip compartment on the back of them. I have used them when snowing in tassie, though if I were doing a dedicated trip above the snowline, I would take a heavier glove. They've been my favourite.
For off track/scrub I just use ironclad gardening gloves.
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/wome ... ves-278861

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Staceykate » Sun 17 Jan, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks everyone!!! These are all great ideas, I'll look them all up!! Just a tad excited!
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment