Cheap Socks (humid conditions)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Cheap Socks (humid conditions)

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi all,

In an attempt to move away from heavier hiking footwear I've recently picked up a pair of KT-26's. I'm pretty keen to give them a good go in the bush, but all my hiking socks are 10+ years old now so it's probably time to get something new.

My feet get sweaty - even if I'm just sitting around at home without shoes - and most of my hiking is near Brisbane where it's humid most of the time. So looking for something suitable for these conditions.

Reading into hiking socks and it looks like wool/synthetic blends are best, and it seems like a lot of people here order theirs from overseas. But I'm finding it hard to justify spending more on socks than I did on the shoes!

Curious if anyone regularly hike with socks you can pick up easy from local shops?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Cheap Socks (humid conditions)

Postby ofuros » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 10:18 pm

Coolmax(sales talk), mesh panel upper, cushioning, quick drying, Darn Tough(USA). Expensive(buy when they're on sale)but they last for ages. They leave the top of your feet with a dusty criss-cross pattern at the end of the day but run cooler. :wink:
They also make a merino blend with the above attributes, not so quick drying.

...just searched, not longer available from the Aussie website where I purchased them.

# Just found a locally made coolmax sock...with or without the mesh by Wildernesswear. Haven't tried them myself.
There's also Merino & Bamboo blends in their no-show, mid & longs lineup....and colours ! 8) Again, not so cheap so doesn't meet your criteria. :(

I'll give their coolmax & merino mesh versions a try for our sub tropical environment & see how they hold up...

Totally useless post for you but may interest others. :roll:
Last edited by ofuros on Tue 09 Feb, 2021 8:59 am, edited 12 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 09 Feb, 2021 6:45 am

I love the 'humid conditions' munchie :D . Inside my shoe it's always humid. :lol: But I get what you mean and the KT26s do not really breathe.
That little bit of mesh on the front doesn't do much.
Day after day use out bushwalking I go wool with some nylon 10-15% for what that's worth.

https://www.target.com.au/p/maxx-3-pack ... s/60882103
One thing I do remember.. it's best if you can go into the shop and check the length...I bought the 11-13 size (size 10 but wide feet). These will stink to high heaven after a while, wool not so.

Cheers.
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 10 Feb, 2021 9:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Dexter » Tue 09 Feb, 2021 9:22 am

Nice find Lamont. I'll have to give these a go.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Eremophila » Wed 10 Feb, 2021 11:12 am

Lamont wrote:https://www.target.com.au/p/maxx-3-pack-performance-liners/60882103

for what it's worth, I bought some Maxx undies ages ago and they've been brilliant.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 11 Feb, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Seems like it's either cotton + cheap or wool/synthetic blend + not so cheap.

I'll keep an eye out to see if anything else looks like it might fit the bill.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby commando » Thu 11 Feb, 2021 1:05 pm

Try the bamboo ones at the local markets, depends what the definition of cheap is. $10-15.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby johnw » Thu 11 Feb, 2021 1:17 pm

Personally I would avoid cotton at all costs. Sweaty feet + cotton = Recipe for blisters in my experience.
And if they are mainly cotton also take forever to dry out. If they absolutely must contain cotton, 20% absolute max is my limit.
But I'd rather just avoid cotton altogether. For a cheap option 80/20 wool/nylon blend, or similar, have worked for me in the past.
Markets and some of those sock vendor kiosks you find in large shopping malls often have them in packs of 3.
I'm not up with current prices but used to pay around $10-$12 for pack of 3.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 11 Feb, 2021 1:28 pm

"Try the bamboo ones at the local markets, depends what the definition of cheap is. $10-15."

I've read that bamboo based socks suffer similar issues that cotton ones do - but happy to hear otherwise?

"Markets and some of those sock vendor kiosks you find in large shopping malls often have them in packs of 3."

Not sure I've ever seen sock vendor kiosks before, but then again I don't visit large shopping malls unless absolutely necessary (e.g. to look for socks). I will have to take a look around!
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Fri 12 Feb, 2021 3:45 pm

Yep bamboo socks take forever to dry !
Eremophila

Postby Tortoise » Fri 12 Feb, 2021 5:47 pm

Eremophila wrote:Yep bamboo socks take forever to dry !

+1!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment