Pillow slippage

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pillow slippage

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 1:30 am

Is putting a few silicone/seam sealer kinda lines on a S2S Aeros stupid? Would the contraction and expansion of the pillow cause damage or the lines to peel away?

The weight addition would be negligible I think.

I don't put my pillow on my short pad which is no issue sleeping on my floor at home, but my tent floor/polycryo groundsheet make for a wilder ride.

I know lots of you are technoboffins and fabricscientists, hoping someone might share some wisdom before I let myself loose with silicone and a syringe.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Pillow slippage

Postby RonK » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 6:16 am

No, it is common practice to use silicone to add grip.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 8:13 am

Excellent. Glad it wasn't a crazy 2am thought. Obviously just do it while inflated I guess?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 8:59 am

Another possibility is to put the silicone on the pillow area of your mat (or on both).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 9:27 am

Given I'm going to be in this pleasant conundrum soon :D I've been mulling it over. How about another option?
I'm going to try my matbuffythingystringythingy.
I'm sure some silicone won't stop that thing slipping and sliding around on the floor/polycryo -for me it wont anyway-It's the main thing that kept me awake at night. Chasing that bleeding pillow around the tent!
Pump up your pillow, thread some UL thread thru' the buffythingy one end to the other, slide the buffy thingy over the inflated pillow-it should be quite tight, tie somewhere. Given that it will be an Exped Flexmat and the pillow will be on the floor I might try two very small holes in the join between the last panel and loop it thru' there. The Exped Flexmat? May take some testin' :D but I reckon it will work.
Last edited by Lamont on Sun 07 Mar, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Joynz » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 1:19 pm

I use the stick on S2S Velcro patches to adhere my pillow to my mat. They are very low profile and not scratchy or abrasive at all.

Perhaps you could try adding them to your groundsheet - if the silicone option doesn’t work?

You do need one of the newer S2S ‘pillowlock’ pillows with the knit type back to catch the loops in the Velcro patch though - or a S2S pillowlock pillow case (which adds a few grams.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 1:46 pm

I put a buff over my pillow, makes it comfier and stops it moving.

A tip I picked up here and have been doing ever since.

On pillows, has anyone used an insulated version? I left mine inflated inside the tent on a hot day, an baffle let go and it isn't as good now.

I too have the pillow off tne end of the mattress so as winter is coming I might try a small insulated one. Or the Marmot skeleton design.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 7:19 pm

Buff is a great idea.
I usually sleep with mine over my eyes, but last trip took a cheapie 3g dedicated eye mask, so could try the buff for pillow case purpose.

My pack is typically at the end of my mat, although using it under my pillow had been a thought.

I think the polycryo makes everything a bit more slippy,but I just can't find anything to beat it for weight and function.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 8:01 pm

One buff is never enough
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 07 Mar, 2021 10:55 am

Neo wrote:One buff is never enough

..later Ali...gaiter :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby jobell » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 1:34 pm

Ms Mudd, what about putting your pillow in whatever top you aren’t wearing - t-shirt, jumper or raincoat, and tuck the end of the clothing and/or the sleeves of the clothing under your sleeping mat. Your body weight should hold it in place. Used to work for me. I have tried pretty much every combo I think! These days I have elastic sewn onto the pillow to slip under the mat - a small weight penalty for a reasonable result, but my mat is the longer variety so the pillow rides on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 3:06 pm

Will do some experiments Jobell, good idea to tuck under mat.

I could always just allow 1-2x more sections of mat length for 30-60g to put it on...but would be excellent to find another solution.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment