Insect repellant

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Insect repellant

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 6:38 pm

What do you use ? I am looking for a really good insect repellant that my wife can use as mozzies just love her (just like I do) I have heard of one called I think Bushmans I am not concerned with cost just efficacy so any advice will be welcome.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Insect repellant

Postby Joe » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 7:41 pm

I remember this being discussed in another thread a while ago. DEET is what you are after...or more specifically N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deet

I have used bushmans...it comes in a toothpaste like tube in either straight insect repellent or in repellnt/sunscreen. I use the 2 in one most of time as it saves carrying 2 tubes. Im lucky in as much as Mozzies hate me. THey only ever get into me as a last resort, They love my wife too, and the rest of her family. I usually take at least one member of her family walking with me as a decent form of insect repellent. They leave me alone if they are along :P

*EDIT: this was the other thread it was mentioned in:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=242&p=1331&hilit=deet#p1331
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks for that info TWF I will ensure I have it on my next walk but it will be so dry that I suspect we will encounter more snakes than leeches ( I will also leave some for my wife) as a peace offering :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby walkinTas » Sat 19 Jan, 2008 7:03 pm

Just back from the Walls. I used bushman insect repellent. It is 80% DEET. I can tell you with confidence that it works very well. 100% no bites - and the March flies and Mozzies were everywhere.

However, even with liberal usage I still got burnt on the arms and hands, so don't rely on it as your sun block. And keep it away from your mouth and eyes!
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 19 Jan, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks for that info WT I will get some on monday
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Insect repellant

Postby abowen » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 4:06 pm

Interested in learning what others do with regard to repelling insects. Some of my bushwalking colleagues use citronella oils and being a naturally derived substance it can't be too bad for the environment - (apparently this oil is also good for keeping pesky animals away from food). I haven't converted yet, but probably will soon to see how it goes.
Personally I don't like any of the rub or spray ons - they always feel greasy and smelly and end up giving me a headache or running into your eyes as you sweat.
Like many, I tend to get hit by any biting thing going around - marchies, mozzies, sand midges.
On one of my walks on the Central Plateau, I ended up with a badly swollen foot, which eventually extended to my knee. Suspect it might have been a marchie. It did make walking difficult - fortunately I was only a day away from the car.
On another recent trip to Freycinet, I was bitten by some sand flies or midges. I took some antihistamine to prevent any itchiness and swelling, but I ended up being bitten alive at some point and didn't feel them. Now my leg is pitted with scratchy itchy sores.
Anyway, if anyone has any useful tips I would be interested in hearing about them - what works and what doesn't
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 6:32 pm

Bushmans DEET 80% really WORKS and remember any insect repellant gets leeches OFF much better /quicker than Salt or heaven forbid a lit match,so dont burn yourself or waste time looking for that salt that is in your pack somewhare .
Just a tiny spot of repellant and they DIE. :twisted:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 8:56 pm

I used bushmans for the walk in this weekend leech free. On the limp out i used none and had two very $(^!*# legs (see the word can be used legitimately...even more reason to mod the swear filter :P ) by the time i hit the carpark. The reason I used none is that as I was rolling my tent up and stuffing it back into its sack i felt a bushmans shaped tube amongst the folds. I debated totally unrolling and finding the tube etc...and decided to go without. Next time i will take the extra time. its bleeding slash blood watsit good stuff ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Fri 21 Mar, 2008 8:00 pm

Highly recommend Bushmans even my mossie attractatant wife has been bite free since useing it :D
Last edited by corvus on Mon 24 Mar, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby bluewombat » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:14 am

DEET based is definitely the way to go for me, there are a few brands you can buy in NZ that are even stronger than Bushmans....they have industrial strength midges/sandflies over there, these little brutes lick off most repellants as an entree then go for your blood....but in my experience Bushmans works very well in Tassie.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment