Lifesaver Bottle-water filter-drink raw(filtered) sewage?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Lifesaver Bottle-water filter-drink raw(filtered) sewage?

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 10:32 am

A great mate of mine is heading off tomorrow to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. He plans to spend his 50th birthday on top of the mountain. We were invited but just could not afford the $10k to join the party!

He is the most organised and anal retentive person I know and has done a huge amount of research to plan the trip.

One item that is relevant to this Forum is the "Lifesaver Bottle" http://www.lifesaversystems.com/index.html

He is taking one of them and wrote it up for me (with a stack of other information ) here: http://ourhikingblog.com.au/2010/02/mount-kilimanjaro-plan-climb.html

From his notes:
it has a 15nm filter to remove all organisms.( smallest virus is the polio virus at 20nm) plus a charcoal inner to remove heavy metals and toxins.
You can put raw sewage in it – give it a few pumps and out comes drinkable water. ( but sodium in the water will be high due to the urine)
Advantage is that it is:
- Lightweight
- does not require chemicals
- fast
- good for 4,000 litres BUT the charcoal filter is only good for 250L before it needs changing. it should be ample for the trip if I assume 5L per day for 8 days.

I KNOW Tassie's water is some of the purest in the world and we NEVER treat or filter it but ,as this forum is expanding nationally, I thought I would throw up the following questions:
- Has anyone come across this unit?
- does anyone own one?
- how well did it work?
- pluses /minuses?
- comments?

When he gets back we plan to do a bit of a review of it to see how it performs.

Frank
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lifesaver Bottle-water filter-drink raw(filtered) sewage

Postby ollster » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 10:53 am

Basically off topic, but... I saw an episode of Man vs Wild where Bear Grylls gives himself an aenema with seabird-poo contaminated water in order to safely absorb the water content through his lower intestine. I'd say that I'd go the aenema before putting raw sewage in a pump filter and drinking the result, but if this device can claim that sort of performance then it might be handy in some parts.

PS: I'd pay someone at least $20 to do either as a dare... :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Ent » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:31 pm

I for one would not like to have to explain to the accident and emergency staff why I was doing either of these things :shock: :shock: I think I will draw the line at raiding a yabbie's home for water. Though with this dry weather normal water sources are drying up or looking rather stagnant.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 6:09 pm

Ollster
Someone posted that in one of the US forums, my comment to it was "with enemas like that, who needs friends.."
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Joe » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 4:41 pm

ollster wrote:...... gives himself an aenema .....

Do I detect a Tool fan? Shouldt be any water problems if mom (sic) comes to flush it all away ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 6:33 pm

How do you think it would cope with the "pumped" liquids from the OLT toilets,I would not be game :shock:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby optdyl » Wed 19 May, 2010 7:05 pm

G'day Frank,

I've seen videos of this product being demonstrated by its developer (see: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/micha ... ilter.html). He hopes to roll-out its use as a post-disaster way to provide drinking water (instead of supplying bottled water, and creating huge amounts of landfill).

From what I have seen even though the charcoal filter does not last as long as the nano-particle filter it is not a necessity for safe drinking water as it only removes smell and flavour after all the nastys are removed by the nano-filter.

It has also been taken up by the UK defense forces.

It is definitely an interesting product which has the potential to provide safe drinking water for a (somewhat) reasonable price.
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:16 pm

I purchased one of these Lifesaver Bottles a couple weeks ago, Put it to the test last week on The Great Walk at Fraser Island. I'm very happy with it. Easy to use and the water tasted great, I use the Lifesaver Bottle everyday at home and filter the tap water for drinking.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby ninjapuppet » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 9:21 am

Reckon you're game enough to filter pee?

I saw a video of some bloke scooping up water from this really dirty brown sludge and drinking the filtered water in front of an audience.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:25 pm

:shock: :shock: Nope, Not game on filtering Pee, I don't think it would taste nice even after filtering, and the thought of drinking your own or anyones else Pee, :mrgreen: I seen similar videos on youtube of people filtering muddy water and drinking it.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment