Outer Limits Vortex $129 tent review

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Outer Limits Vortex $129 tent review

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 9:10 am

Well after much procrastination I have finally got myself a new tent. Basically I have a Macpac Microlight but wanted something bigger so that I could get changed, cook and store stuff inside while it's raining and the inside of the fly is saturated with condensation, all without needing to be a contortionist.
My main criteria were:
- Large enough vestibule for cooking and storing a large pack, boots etc. for two people.
- Plenty of room for 1, enough for two.
- Able to sit up comfortably.
- Integral pitch/fly first pitch
- 3+ season
- Reasonable ventilation
- Preferably 2kg or less
- Fairly tough construction
- Not too expensive
- Free standing would be nice

Eventually my shortlist came down to the Hubba Hubba HP, Hilleberg Nallo 2, Macpac Minaret and Tarptent Scarp 2.
However I wasn't entirely sold on any of these.
The Hubba Hubba was probably at the top of the list, but doesn't appear to have brilliant ventilation, only has a1000mm water head rating (probably heaps but still), poles are inside the fly (bad if one breaks) and it is not cheap.
The Nallo2 is pricier, ceiling height only 100cm at entrance and I would like to see it in the flesh before lashing out that kind of cash.
The Minaret has too low a ceiling height and is only priced okay when on special whenever that may be.
Scarp 2 seems fantastic but is not available in the "Tassie" version yet, also asked a couple of questions via email which were ignored.
So while I would have been happy with the Hubba Hubba or probably the Nallo (pending sitting in it), I wasn’t prepared to fork out $500-600 on something I wasn't entirely sure I would be happy with.

Anyway whilst surfing ebay I came across an Outer Limits Vortex for $129 ($144 delivered). I already have another Outer Limits tent for car camping that I am fairly happy with and I knew my cousin had recently bought a Vortex. So I got on the phone and organised to borrow it off her and check it out. I spent a night in it on the front lawn (in the rain) and was pretty much sold.

It isn't in the same quality ballpark as the rest, I mean it's all put together okay but it just doesn't ooze quality like Hilleberg and Macpac tents tend to. It's only polyester not Silnylon and the floor hasn't got a dime on the Minaret. But when you can buy four Vortex's for the same price as any one of the others I can live with all that.

My only complaints/things that fall short of my criteria:
- Ventilation not wonderful, but probably okay with some mods
- Zips not too good (I wonder if they will last)
- Generally not as 'polished' as more expensive tents
- 2.4kg (checked on accurate scales)
- Not free-standing
- ceiling height could be better

The tent is very easy to pitch and can be pitched with only 4 pegs in good conditions, although it comes with a total of 14 pegs for all the points which I tend to use all the time just because they are there to use. You can erect the fly first then crawl inside and attach the inner fairly easily. Alternatively the whole thing can be pitched as one. You can not pitch the inner alone as far as I can tell.

There are a few storage pockets inside and it seems to have enough room for two, although you would want to be fairly close. The overall length is okay but probably not fantastic for anyone over 6 foot tall, as your toes can tend to touch the inner. One of the positives is that despite the length and height limitations it does have a substantial gap between the inner and outer skins. So despite pushing against the ceiling at times, I have never made the two skins touch and hence get wet, which I did all the time in the Microlight.

There is enough mesh on the inner, but not too much so as to make it breezy. Ventilation falls down a bit in the fly department with only 4 very small triangles of ventilation, none of which are at the peak. I have found that I can omit the centre peg at the foot end of the tent and instead tie the peg point up to the rear guy to give somewhere for the wind to blow in. In my two nights in the tent so far I have had low to moderate amounts of condensation.

The fly material feels pretty solid and is PU coated and tape sealed on the inside. The floor whilst feeling adequate is a fair step down from that of my Microlight. I will be carrying Tyvek.

The zips are not of great quality. They don’t run as easily as more expensive ones and tend to jamb easily. But none the less they are getting the job done, at least for now. I wish the main zip on the vestibule was double ended so you could open a hole in the top as well.

The poles seem pretty good, although not DAC by any means. Additionally they are externally sleeved which gives some peace of mind should one break. They could be colour coded to make erection easier as they are not all that different in length.

The vestibule is a good size and there is plenty of room for my pack and boots as well as cooking. With two people’s gear it would still be manageable. Importantly it is just big enough to get out of my rain coat before entering the main tent.

For all you gram counters I’ve worked out I could cut about 200g from the weight by not carrying the stuff sack (just over 100g) and by replacing the pegs with lighter weight ones. The guys are already fairly light (when dry) but could also be replaced to save some more.

Overall, for the price, I’m very happy. I figured that having only spent $144 I wouldn’t feel guilty buying a more expensive replacement when something I am 100% happy with came along. However I now wonder if I will even bother, I’m happy with this one. All in all not bad, especially for $129. :wink:

"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Outer Limits Vortex $129 tent review

Postby Ent » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 9:59 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Sun 12 Dec, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 1:42 pm

Looks fine... that tunnel design should handle some weather regardless of quality. Very similar to the Nallo's (besides the quirky peak shape :wink: ) large hoop at the front...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 2:08 pm

That "quirky peak shape" was the reason I stopped to look at it and play with it in a shop in town.
Not commonly used but the "Gothic arch" is a great way to minimise stress on the pole of tunnel tents.
(most of the tensile strength of a pole is wasted when forced into a tight arch, so in theory, under a snow load or heavy wind , a pole of a standard tunnel design will snap before this type)
Also I noticed that the vestibule is a lot more usable (storing and cooking) than in a lot of similar two pole tunnel or single entry dome tents.
Big Agnes for example has a lot of non usable vestibules.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Drifting » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 3:48 pm

I've been looking to add another tent to my closet- something for just my daughter and I. A pity it's not a bit lighter, but still a good kilo lighter than my Nallo.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ent » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 3:53 pm

"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 7:43 pm

Yes- it's a wee bit bigger than 2 kg, but not too much. It's sort of in the "I'll just deal with it" weight category, especially when I think of all that room!
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby blacksheep » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 7:54 pm

nice campsite-can one use the hut in the background?
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 8:07 pm

blacksheep wrote:nice campsite-can one use the hut in the background?

I can :wink:
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 8:44 pm

Saw the tent in action last weekend and it performed in rain and wind as well as the others on the walk and as sthughes mentioned it could be lightened a tad by replacing pegs and perhaps the guy lines and carry bag.
Great tent for the money and would suit most conditions short term IMHO.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 10:55 pm

Your vestibule definitely looks roomier than a lightwave T1 which costs $199 on ebay + 20 postage
your door also looks easier to enter/exit

My friend's T1 clocked 2398gm on my scales, so its heavier but i noticed i could only sit up at the entry end of the tent, and not the other end.
can you sit upright at both ends in your vortex?
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Mar, 2010 11:10 pm

Nah only at the entry end as well. The benifit over the Lightwave is the integral pitch feature.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ObtuseAngler » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 10:07 pm

Great reveiw and pics Sthughes, thanks for the info! Certainly appeals to those of us with "limited resources"
ObtuseAngler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Fri 05 Mar, 2010 6:24 am

Someone commented on a US forum about the fact that most gear talked about/recommended is $200/300 and up. For a lot of people that can be off putting indeed.
That made me think that perhaps every forum should have a "cheep and cheerful" section where we can post about gear that is economical but works. Not E Bay specials,clearances or the like just everyday prices on easily available stuff.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ent » Fri 05 Mar, 2010 8:17 am

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby etrangere » Mon 08 Mar, 2010 9:08 am

Franco wrote:Someone commented on a US forum about the fact that most gear talked about/recommended is $200/300 and up. For a lot of people that can be off putting indeed.
That made me think that perhaps every forum should have a "cheep and cheerful" section where we can post about gear that is economical but works. Not E Bay specials,clearances or the like just everyday prices on easily available stuff.
Franco

I think the cheap & cheerful section would be a great idea. I'm sure there is a lot of economical gear out there that 'does the job' and doesn't cost the earth. Would anyone be willing to start this one off??
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 May, 2010 10:55 am

I have used it on 4 trips now.

It was all going well until Saturday.
- Getting into the tent the mesh above the door tore a little where it is under stress at the point where the inner attaches to the outer. This isn't a major problem yet, but I imagine it will get progressively worse.
- The zip on the vestibule broke in the morning. It will most likely need replacing (if it is worthwhile!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 24 May, 2010 10:59 am

Last edited by Ent on Sun 12 Dec, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 May, 2010 11:43 am

My camera batteries were flat, maybe when I put it up to dry it out I'll get some. :wink:
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 24 May, 2010 3:19 pm

Last edited by Ent on Sun 12 Dec, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 May, 2010 3:43 pm

Indeed, I had my camera phone as a backup, just didn't think I needed to take a picture. :P

BTW. I had a good play with my zip at lunch time and managed to get it running again. Not real good and tends to stick a bit on the damaged 'teeth', but it is working satisfactorily. I may have to devise a way so that it is not under such tension when pitched. Maybe a piece of spectra between the two peg out points. :?
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Outer Limits Vapour $79 tent review

Postby eddie the eagle » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 10:26 am

Tacking another quick review onto the back of this one. I'm running a group along the Great Ocean Walk in Oct and have to fit one three-man tent (one planet Caddis,) two two-man tents (One planet Ridgebacks,) two two-man tents (a lightwave, a Mont Moondance) and a (???)one- or two-man tent onto four off 3 x 3.5m pads.

'twill be interesting.

I bought a $79 Outer Limits Vapour tent off eBay to allow us to fit a one-man tent and a Mont Moondance on one site.

I pitched it today - the outer skin pitches with about a 2" - 2.5" gap between the ground and the bottom of the fly. The inner is fully mesh, with the floor tub maybe 3" off the ground. There's no way I'd trust it as a four seasons tent, especially in good rain with a driving wind, camping somewhere like exposed campsites on the Great Ocean Road. Looks like it's time to make the floor tub higher to get it working as promised. It's a light three seasons tent at best, which, to be honest, was what I was expecting for the price, but hoping otherwise as it was sold 'four season.'

Will take it for a trip on election weekend and see if it lives up to its promises.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Roma » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:32 am

hi there,

i work in a camping store in brisbane and we stock a variety of the mentioned tents, but none of those are our most recommended for price to value, in our opinion the best tent price to value wise is the outer limits Backpacker, its both roomy and water tight with PU coating under the fly. and price wise we have it for only $99 at the present time. there is not a single employee of our store who does not own one, considering we get major discounts this is a significant thing to look at.

Roma
Roma
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby corvus » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 5:13 pm

G'day Roma,
Good post ,where do you and your staff mates use this Tent and in what sort of conditions ,I realise it will not be a 4 season shelter however it may just be what many of our members really need for their occasional overnight walk in benign conditions :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby sthughes » Tue 12 Jul, 2011 1:26 pm

Gave the Vortex a test in the wind the other day. I went down to the beach and pitched it side on to the breeze. As you can see in the video we managed to bend a pole getting it erected, not sure why but the pole didn't want to go in and all the sand blowing in our eyes didn't help. Anyway it may not be a brilliant pitch but it faired okay. The wind at the nearby (like 1km away) airport was blowing mid 60's to mid 80km/h at the time. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qr5Erc5hrPJCzE-n5LOdcg48DqedR30aJDlZwfzCtuc?feat=directlink
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment