Zpacks Hexamid Cuben Fiber Tent review

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Zpacks Hexamid Cuben Fiber Tent review

Postby Nuts » Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:56 am

It's been an interesting development, Cubictech have had a couple of failures to date. I ordered some different weights to try a few things as well as the Nylon backed Cuben for reinforcement patches. To me it seems hard to justify Cubens expense where weight gain is marginal or for DIY applications, other than the fact that it does seem to bond a little better to itself than other reinforcement materials. (For DIY I think the material price is neither here nor there. There is always a point where something is considered 'good enough', a stitch out of line, crinkle or air bubble in a bonded seam..Using cuben (to me) forces more care than cheaper material.. I wont show the couple of p/u nylon projects I tried lol)

All things being equal (as well as a reduced price) it might be worthwhile but atm i think Rons thoughts make sense. The breathable stuff is looking promising, I would imagine it would be viable in a lighter grade (than that used in the Zpack jacket) for bivys, shelter applications. I'd imagine the current batch will be picked apart on BPL, fascinating some of the knowledge and testing added there!

Have they stitched the whole jacket jeremy (zip too)?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Penguin » Fri 21 Oct, 2011 2:34 pm

Tony wrote:
jeremy089786 wrote:Indeed this material is in its infancy and I assume the breathability is lower than some other WPB fabrics. I do not think this is not the same fabric that Ron was alluding to as this is the second generation of WPB cuben and Joe was not happy to use the first generation for any of his products and a whole bunch of companies are now starting to look into this new material (for more info check out the discussion at: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... s#forumtop).

As for the weight savings, indeed this material would only cut a couple of grams out of mitts but cuts away over 200g (7oz) from my event jacket (though this does have a bunch more features). After saying all of this I will definately treat this jacket with caution until it proves itself.

As for some pics:

Sorry again about hijacking the thread, but I hope this helps.

Cheers,

J.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting I will be interested in how the jacket goes.

Tony

I am interested too. This puts it in the same weight as the tough nylon walking jackets that do not breath. The only advantage here is if it does breath at all. I am assuming that it does not have arm pit openings.

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Osik » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 12:37 pm

Hey mtbarney
think I met you coming down Mt Barney (I was one of the two blokes who climbed up the night before), glad I saw this thread as your backpack was certainly intriguing to say the least. Do you have any pics of your set up? Hope the weather treated you to some nice views up top!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby jeremy089786 » Thu 03 Nov, 2011 6:13 pm

First Impressions:

I have worn the jacket out about 5 or 6 times now. Today I walked to work in mild rain for 45 mins without getting wet and was fairly comfortable. As for the strength, this stuff is way way stronger than my o2 rain suit (think strength of 0.7 - 1 oz cuben). I have not yet made my mind up on the breathability yet, but so far so good (may be due to airflow with the loose fit). Also, the hood is potentially not for everyone (I def like the hood on my rab momentum better).

Will hopefully do some more serious testing soon.

Hope this helps

Jeremy
jeremy089786
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WilderWheels
Region: New South Wales

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 05 Nov, 2011 5:35 pm

It says the postage to Australia is 30 bucks is that about right, would not mind getting the Hexamid Solo Tent w/ Screen.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Sat 05 Nov, 2011 5:43 pm

John Sheridan wrote:It says the postage to Australia is 30 bucks is that about right, would not mind getting the Hexamid Solo Tent w/ Screen.

Cheers.

Hi John,

$30 seems about right, Zpacks sent mine by USPS.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 05 Nov, 2011 11:29 pm

I just did a virtual build of the tent I want with Tent, Poles, ground sheet and it ended up at 350 grams, this looks like a nice tent, but I wish it had more of a vestibule, veranda at the front so you can cook under when it's raining, or can you config the tent to have that ???

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 5:07 am

John Sheridan wrote:I just did a virtual build of the tent I want with Tent, Poles, ground sheet and it ended up at 350 grams, this looks like a nice tent, but I wish it had more of a vestibule, veranda at the front so you can cook under when it's raining, or can you config the tent to have that ???

Cheers.

Hi John,

You can get the Hexamid with a optional Beak fitted, this will give you a vestable to cook in and better protection in heavy rain, I would also get the cuben ground sheet and carbon fiber pole, my Hexamid is an early one and these options where not available when I ordered mine.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 7:46 am

Yeah I know you can get one with a beak, that's the one I used in my build, I have seen the photo's but the beak looks flat,vertical in the pictures and not extended in any way, maybe I need to look elsewhere to see this.

The beak looks for like just for stopping rain getting into the front too me, maybe I am missing something.

I included the light pole and pegs and tyvex ground sheet, would a cuban fibre ground sheet be better and how big for the tent ?

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 9:46 am

There are other brands that do cuben tents that are slightly larger than that of zpacks. Checkout
Bear Paw Wilderness Designs
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Mountain Laurel Designs
Six Moons Designs
Light Heart Gear
Yama Mountain Gear
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 9:50 am

Probably none available in Australia or even ship here, but worth a look to see if their are any I like better than the Zpacks, more look for reviews and info I guess :P

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 10:30 am

Like Zpacks, all those brands are cottage manufacters. None of those brands are in shops. You buy directly from the cottage manufacturer. ALL of them are available to Australia. Of those, I personally would lean towards Bear Paw Wilderness Designs Cub den 1.5 . I think that's good value for a cuben tent.

There is also Evan from Terra Rosa Gear. An Aussie Cottage manufacturer http://www.terrarosagear.com/ . He only lists tarps on his website, but could email him, he may have other designs.

Maybe a cuben tarp would be all you need to, Z packs stuff essentially is just a fancy tarp with mosquito netting
Last edited by Gusto on Sun 06 Nov, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 10:31 am

I have just ordered the Hexamid Solo - Plus size with beak but without the net (120g with guys) and will use my SMD Serenity net inner (210g) that I use with my Gatewood Cape as the inner. This gives me a good sized vestibule and I don't have to store wet gear inside the netting with me. This gives me a lighter setup than the hexamid + net + groundsheet. It also allows me to use the tent with just a polycro ground sheet saving 130g over the net inner setup. Polycro groundsheets are very cheap and remarkably durable as well as being light - a double size (1.5 x 2.7m) is only 70g and costs US$8 (Mountain Laurel Designs among others). I am still on my first one after doing the AAWT and several overnighters. I think the cuben groundsheet is overkill and you are better off with tyvec or polycro which will save a heap of cash and may provide a useful weight saving. Use the savings to invest in something titanium - we all aspire to a complete cuben and titanium setup.

I went with the Solo Plus size to get and extra 200mm width for only 15g penalty. Also, I would certainly get the beak as I have experienced rain blowing/bouncing in with my Gatewood Cape and its entrance is much lower than the non-beak Hexamid.

The shape of the Hexamid and the Gatewood Cape a rather alike and I have found the Gatewood Cape an excellent shelter but I need something where I carry a separate rain jacket rather than using the cape aspect of the Gatewood. Ultimately there is almost no weight saving but I will get an increase in flexibility.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Flat Tarp vs Hex shaped tarp

Postby Mark F » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 11:08 am

This is very much a personal choice but there are plusses and minuses for both. I prefer the hex shaped tarps as I feel for the walking I do (Southern Australia) they provide an easier set up in fairly exposed locations. I have used flat tarps a lot over the years and currently have an MDL Grace Duo in cuben. It is great for sheltered river valleys in warm conditions and I have no problem make it work in more severe terrain but I have to much more careful about site selection and I find it is not as "comforting"as a hex shelter. I do acknowledge that a flat tarp is likely to be easier to pitch in extremely rough and undulating terrain but this is emergency bivouac stuff for me - not where I would normally pitch. It is also better for midday shade - the lazy weekend by a river sort of trip.

To get a flat tarp to work well you need quite a large tarp (minimum 1.8 x 2.7); under this you tend to be pushing the boundaries for comfort and shelter - many users of small tarps are also carrying a bivvy bag. Even with a larger tarp I would prefer to have a beak so that I can close off one end. You now have a heavier shelter than an equivalent hex.

The hex designs, and there are plenty from several manufacturers, offer greater shelter in windy and exposed conditions usually at a lower weight because they are shaped to protect from 3+ sides. This usually allows use of a greater range of sites and less need to get it oriented in the best possible way.

So they way I see it, flat tarp for sheltered, warm conditions especially if high humidity, hex for more exposed, cooler conditions, but with care either can work in a wide range of conditions. Decide based on your expected trips or buy one of each!
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnM » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 4:39 pm

Just ordered a Solo, with beak. Should arrive in time for some warmer weather walking, really looking forward to seeing what it's like in the bush. About the only downside I can see is having to be extra careful with clearing the footprint, getting rid of twigs and whatever else can poke a hole in the mesh floor. But 300-odd grams for a bugproof tent with plenty of room and easy pitching (hate having to put inners up first, a stupid design flaw IMO) is just too tempting not to try out.

Just gotta go figure out the story to my financial controller. I think this might work:

"Sure, look, I know I've already got two one-person tents, and this'll make it three. But I've got four gas stoves and two Trangias, and four packs, and three sleeping bags (five if you count the ones I don't use much anymore) so I'm really just getting my solo tents up to parity-status with my other gear. And I think we both know that the tent is the most important part of any safe backpacking trip."

Done.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:09 pm

Put some that old gear on eBay. You should easily raise the price of the new tent and can say "Look dear, I just cleared out a heap of my old gear so this the tent isn't going to cost anything and there now a heap more space to store it all neatly so it won't get in the way while you are vacuuming!".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnM » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 6:18 pm

Just arrived.

This thing weighs about as much as a bag of marshmallows :lol:

Obviously the true test of whether we get on well is in the field, but I already know I'm going to enjoy carrying it!
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 7:48 pm

JohnM wrote:Just arrived.

This thing weighs about as much as a bag of marshmallows :lol:

Obviously the true test of whether we get on well is in the field, but I already know I'm going to enjoy carrying it!

Hi John,

I really love my Hexamid and I am looking forward to using it again this summer.

Now all I need is a better 4 season tent.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnM » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 9:23 pm

Absolutely!

I really wish it already came with precut guy lines, and seam-sealed though. I've kinda snuck it into the house, which I'd normally get away with. But I don't think I'm going to be able to disguise cutting guy ropes to size, setting it up, and seam-sealing it in the backyard.

Although one saving grace is that, to a normal person, it probably looks like a 50 buck tent.

Ah, the joys of buying stuff you don't really need :wink:
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby forest » Thu 01 Dec, 2011 8:23 am

JohnM wrote:Just gotta go figure out the story to my financial controller. I think this might work: Done.

Tony wrote:I've kinda snuck it into the house, which I'd normally get away with. But I don't think I'm going to be able to disguise cutting guy ropes to size, setting it up, and seam-sealing it in the backyard.

Although one saving grace is that, to a normal person, it probably looks like a 50 buck tent.

John I'm cracking up LOL.

Your in exactly the same boat as me :mrgreen:
I order my Hexamid Solo Plus with extended beak last week with twin cuben ground sheet. Mines in Blue !!!
Difference right now is you actually have yours.

I have made a few passing comments about selling gear to raise funds and that I ordered a new tent....... All passed while some important TV show was on that had her interest more than what I was saying.
Oh yeh, amazingly my Hexamid only cost "About $200" :wink: :wink:

Now when it turns up and I'm seam sealing it she cannot say she doesn't know what it is.

As per past experience, the comment will be made that she didn't know about a new tent :shock: It normally goes like this :oops:

"That's not true, I did tell you about the tent and all the gear I have been sellingto raise the funds"...... "No I did tell you"..... "I cannot remember the exact date and time but you were watching TV"...."I don't know what you were watching"......"Well it must have been good because you obvioulsy didn't listen to anything I was saying"...."That's not fair, I always listen to you"........

Sound familar.

End game will be the same for both of us. We will have a very light tent/tarp and be happy.
My wife.... Well she'll just have to get over it for not listening properly.... :D
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby J-Pugz » Sat 03 Dec, 2011 6:50 pm

I've got a 2person with mesh and beak in white on the way... My excuse is that my husband doesnt like getting "bugs in his ears" which apparently is the problem with the Trailstar (which I love).

My advice-its always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :)
J-Pugz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jeremy089786 » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 6:58 pm

Hey Guys,

Just posted a quick review of the hexamid + inner net which may be useful if you haven't seen one of these in the flesh before.

http://hiking26.blogspot.com.au

Cheers,

Jeremy.
jeremy089786
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WilderWheels

Previous

Return to Equipment