Trangia Duossal - any good?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Trangia Duossal - any good?

Postby eddie the eagle » Sun 02 May, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi All,

Things are always discontinued for a reason.

What was the problem with Duossal?

Did they cook OK or tend to trap the heat/burn locally.

Was it weight?

Background: Have an opportunity to pick up a second hand Duossal large Trangia at a reasonable price, but do I need three trangias?

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Trangia Duossal - any good?

Postby adventurerichard » Mon 03 May, 2010 5:31 pm

duossal has been dropped cos Trangia now have a hard anodised all aluminum version which is as tough as the stainless (which was on the inside of the duossal) but as it's aluminum it is lighter and heats quicker. so it's been superceeded.
adventurerichard
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby etrangere » Tue 04 May, 2010 8:17 pm

I think the duossal was introduced for those concerned about cooking with aluminium in regards to its potential link to alzheimers disease. I forget the wording they used on their site "hygeine" or something or rather but we all know what they really meant. From what I gather hard anodised aluminium either doesnt or is less likely to leach into food as it is being cooked. The majority or peoples aluminium intake comes from antacid medication anyways believe it or not.
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby rucksack » Wed 05 May, 2010 9:10 am

The concern about cooking in aluminium arose from some very flawed research in the late 1980s (I think). Trangia's response (as walkers everywhere were preparing to jettison their Trangia aluminium cookware), was to release stainless steel versions of their 25 and 27 Storm cookers where the pans and frypan were stainless steel, but the windshield and kettles remained aluminium . The flawed research was soon shown to be, well, seriously flawed. As anyone who has tried cooking with stainless steel pans and frypans will know, stainless steel is a very poor conductor, so burnt offerings are very often the order of the day. Trangia subsequently replaced their stainless steel pans and frypans with 'Duossal', which put the aluminium back on the 'outside' where it would spread the heat, but left the stainless steel on the 'inside' where it is easy to clean, etc. As the previous correspondents have noted, more recent advances in aluminium cookware have made the 1990s foray into stainless steel quite obsolete.
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby eddie the eagle » Thu 06 May, 2010 4:14 am

Thanks all for the replies.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides