FEEDBACK SOUGHT: JetBoil Minimo

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

FEEDBACK SOUGHT: JetBoil Minimo

Postby Biggles » Wed 17 May, 2023 1:07 pm

Right, I'm looking around for something smaller, more compact and less "industrial-looking" for my camping cook-ups, a change/update from a long standing battered FURNO burner attached to a propane cylinder.

The JetBoil stoves, among them the Minimo which has attracted my attention last week, caught my eye. It was explained to me the major advantage of these stoves was the protected flame; it is not affected by wind, with no flaring — the heat is concentrated directly upward rather than spread out. There was no demonstration in-store of this. My concern though was at $330 it is one of the most expensive stoves to pack under the wing (save for certain MSRs!). Has anybody here used one long-term and can report on their performance, particularly in the snow (I intend to have a snow camp at either JB Plain or Wire Plain/Hotham in July)? I have a separate titanium kettle I'd like to use with the stove too; I understand a separate attachment is available for the Minimo to enable this to be used.

TIA.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: FEEDBACK SOUGHT: JetBoil Minimo

Postby myrtlegirl » Wed 17 May, 2023 2:31 pm

I've had a jetboil 1.3L pot for 10+years, I love it soooo much. It's the flux ring (the frill neck bit on the base) that makes most of the difference. I've made my $ back with the saving in gas used.

But I really, really don't like the jetboil stovetop that came with it.

- It's prone to the piezo ignition failing (2 piezos failed, both within about 3 uses, now it's never used),
- it uses an extra bit for pot support that you have to remember to keep with it (note to self: after lending your gear to someone, always check they return ALL the bits),
- the stove is not easily compatible with other cookware.

I use a Kovea stovetop a bit like this one, which is also much cheaper.

Can you buy just the pot?
Attachments
kovea.JPG
kovea.JPG (15.01 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Biggles » Wed 17 May, 2023 3:03 pm

@myrtlegirl

Thanks for your insight.

I'm enthused by your decade long experience with the JetBoil. But what is the "jetboil stovetop" you are referring to?

The KOVEA pic reminds me of the early GAZ camping stoves that were all the rage with bicycle tourists in the 70s and 80s. That design wasn't very stable, with the arms tending to wiggle about which was unnerving. It worked though. Reliably and constantly.

From what I could see in the shop, JetBoil pots are available separately, but I do not see how these can be used on just any stove?
My thinking is that people — a group maybe — would take the fixed pot and maybe a larger pot to swap on/off. I would have no need for any additional size pot beyond what the stove comes with; save for my Ti kettle.

I wasn't told the JetBoil is piezo ignition. I dislike those piezo things. They have failed on me too often. A COMPANION piezo starter stick bought a year or so back lasted just 3 flicks before dying. $35 for that. "No refund, sorry mate", spake the tall man with a beard and very long hair — a mirror image of Jesus. I had things to say which cannot be repeated here. :lol:
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby myrtlegirl » Wed 17 May, 2023 3:53 pm

'Stovetop' means the cooker bit, the metal thingummytite where the gas comes out and burns, the dooverlacky the pot sits on with pokey outy bits. ( Hope my eloquence comes across as amusing not sarcastic)

The arms on my Kovea swing in to fold it up nicely, but don't wiggle as such. Unstable hot stuff perched above centre of gravity would worry me.

The 1.3l pot is wide enough across the base for the arms to sit inside the flux ring. When using the coffee cup jetboil thingo, the Kovea isn't so good, but still can be used.

Later jetboil stoves seem to have more reilable piezos. My Kovea piezo is so good it will probably still work after Putin drops the big one.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Wed 17 May, 2023 4:00 pm

myrtlegirl wrote:'Stovetop' means the cooker bit, the metal thingummytite where the gas comes out and burns, the dooverlacky the pot sits on with pokey outy bits. ( Hope my eloquence comes across as amusing not sarcastic)

The arms on my Kovea swing in to fold it up nicely, but don't wiggle as such. Unstable hot stuff perched above centre of gravity would worry me.

The 1.3l pot is wide enough across the base for the arms to sit inside the flux ring. When using the coffee cup jetboil thingo, the Kovea isn't so good, but still can be used.

Later jetboil stoves seem to have more reilable piezos. My Kovea piezo is so good it will probably still work after Putin drops the big one.

---
No, no, it's fine. Once I stop laughing and spilling tea, and it's needed in this utterly miserable weather. Just the tonic!!
I haven't seen the actual 'stove top' of the MiniMo. Something I do want to see. Not much is visible through the packaging.
A long time ago my earliest camping equipment was bought from REI in the US. That was when the US - AUD was favourable, even if deliveries from the US to where I was could take weeks and weeks. REI is long out of favour now. There's eBay, and the outdoor shops I routinely scour in Big Little Bourke Street in Big Town. It seems the $300-odd price is consistent from one place to another. I could well end up keeping my old FURNO; lots of gin and lamingtons — and a weekend away, could be bought for $300...

Putin dropping the big one!?
Well, give notice and we'll all shift down to Tassie. Safer there! :lol:
Last edited by Biggles on Wed 17 May, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 17 May, 2023 4:27 pm

Hi Biggles
Havw alook at Firemaple, well made kit indeed
John
https://firemaplegear.com/collections/gas-stoves
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Biggles » Wed 17 May, 2023 5:19 pm

johnrs wrote:Hi Biggles
John

Thanks for that interesting link John — the variety! Will check it out fully tomorrow. Off to Bendigo for dinna now (60km...).
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Wed 17 May, 2023 5:48 pm

Biggles
My pick is the Blade 2, goes well with cheap canisters, there are also some Jetboil lookalikes and UL canister top options.
John
johnrs

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 May, 2023 9:50 pm

I've always considered the Jetboil to be a climbers tool, and as I no longer climb I've never used one. But I do a lot of snow camping and I use a FireMaple Titanium remote stove and it might be the Blade2 also but under its old name
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Thu 18 May, 2023 9:47 am

johnrs wrote:Hi Biggles
John

Oh my Godmother...What a treasure trove of little treasures! :D
I'm especially loving this gem: https://firemaplegear.com/collections/g ... ove-system
Never seen anything like that before.
No direct dealers here in Australia? I assume you have bought from Firemaple? How long and reliable is the delivery from US to Aus?
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Thu 18 May, 2023 2:55 pm

China brand and delivery Biggles, good gear and good to deal with.
Best wishes
John
johnrs

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 May, 2023 4:06 pm

I'm another fan of the Firemaple stoves. Far better value than the big name brands.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 May, 2023 4:27 pm

PM sent Biggles
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby markg » Sat 20 May, 2023 6:31 pm

I have been using the minimo for about 16 months with no issues, and in cold weather too. They sell them with the main theme being you can adjust the flame properly for cooking. (it comes with an add on for putting pots or f/pans on it. Has worked as it should, I always have the gas canister covered and never touching the cold ground as this stops the gas from slow burn. People should check out Big W, they have a jetboil copy for $39 and they are pretty good actually. Yes I have one and have used it. A steal for the price and it works fine. J/boils are so overpriced to be honest. I just had a peek at the Firemaple, looks similar to the kovea moonwalker, but cheaper price.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wokeunicorn » Mon 09 Oct, 2023 11:22 am

Minimo often below $230 on sale Tentworld or anaconda
Wokeunicorn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Return to Equipment