Wilderness Equipment Space 1 zips and vents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Wilderness Equipment Space 1 zips and vents

Postby plecky » Wed 21 Jun, 2023 7:15 pm

I'm tossing up between the Space 1 and Mont Moondance 1. Both have excellent reviews but I'm a little unsure about the fly zips on the Space 1.

I would normally expect the fly to have storm flaps over the zips. Can any owners offer some advice on how waterproof the zips are and how durable they are.

I'm in Qld and the tent will be used in SE Qld and in Tassie. How is the ventilation with the one vent on the side of the fly?
I've not decided yet whether to go with the 3 season or 4 season version. Probably 3 season as I don't see any snow camping in my near future.
plecky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Wilderness Equipment Space 1 zips and vents

Postby Biggles » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 12:09 pm

The WE Space looks a bit odd in shape. Can you sit up in it, get dressed/undressed? It seems to have picked up on the two pole assembly that was pioneered by MONT with the Moondance.

The Moondance 1 and 2, with tall roofs, have either full nylon interior with vented roof and corresponding vent in the roof of the fly, or full mesh inner. My experience a long time ago (2010) is that the full mesh inner is unsuitable, entirely, for cold environments like Tasmania, especially in below-zero temperatures. If you head to the NT though, the full mesh interior will be a saving grace for a good night's sleep!

Perhaps go a-hunting and examine the two options available for the Moondance and work from there, especially Moondance 2 if you need additional space and headroom. Not sure about the relevance of a material cover for the fly zips. The Moondance and Macpacs all have this though.

My present Moondance 1 (2018) is a full-mesh inner; it does not see use in colder weather; for that, I use the full-nylon inner Macpac DuoLite or Macpac Minaret.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby plecky » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 6:30 pm

Thanks Biggles,
That info is very useful.
I have friends with the Moondance 1 in both mesh and nylon inners. Just need to get eyes on a Space 1.
plecky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Mcspud » Mon 31 Jul, 2023 5:35 pm

I got a space 2 for $499 from a place in Melbourne. It’s been used ski touring heaps. They’re much lighter than the Mont.
Since then I’ve also bought a summer inner for the Space 2. Not sure if the Mont has that ability.
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby jadasa » Mon 04 Sep, 2023 12:25 pm

Hi, chiming in late to say that I really rate my Space 2. I have the full mesh inner, and while I have used it through winter in Tassie, it is cold, as any mesh inner would be.
I have never really had any ventilation issues with it. Certainly no more than any other tent at least. I do often unzip the top slide on the door and prop it open if there's no chance of rain.
The thing I like most about it is the ability to integrate walking poles into the frame to give it bomber stability in wind. Not sure if the Moondance has that?
I believe the moondance has more headroom, but whether there's much trade-off in aerodynamics or not I can't really say.
I would definitely get the solid inner for the space if I had the coin.
I don't think you can go wrong with either in reality.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
jadasa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 19 Sep, 2023 8:31 pm

When I first bought a Space 1, I was concerned about the zip, but it doesn't seem to be a weak point in my experience.

The issue with the tent for me is that if you don't or can't stretch the fly out as far as physically possible, then the fly and inner on the entrance side will touch.

I'm average height, and can sit up in the Space 1 and not touch the roof.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Thu 28 Sep, 2023 9:32 am

Interested to see where you end up on this one.

I have a 1p tent to move on and was going to use the cash to purchase a budget tent (started another thread about that) but now just tempted to pull the trigger on a Moondance or Space 1 as well.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 28 Sep, 2023 3:04 pm

I actually cracked and bought the Moondance 1 (full nylon inner).
I went to Bogong who had both in stock, and as I saw it had no reason to be biased over one or the other. The two guys there agreed they'd rather the Moondance for the better floor and vent on top.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment