Water bottle help

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Water bottle help

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 28 Aug, 2023 8:26 pm

I'm having trouble finding a particular style/size & shape water bottle and wondering if any members can help out.
When I was a kid [ and that was a long time ago] there was a plastic water bottle about that was the same shape and size as the old wartime British/Australian enameled steel WB.
I need a couple and it seems that they went out of production decades ago.
While we scouts used them as water bottles [ being much cheaper than the army surplus ones] perhaps they were actually the refillable freezer block bottles used in Eskys and such.
Similar to the current South African army WB but not quite as big. I've a selection here from the grandkids lunch boxes which are of similar shape but none large enough.
As an aside comment how the heck can kids absolutely destroy a series of expensive lunch boxes but some how the freezer drink bottles survive unscathed?
Dimensions needed are ~ 185/190mm tall by 150mm wide by 65 to 70mm deep. So capacity between 1500 and 1850ml or about an Imperial quart.
If I have asked this before my apologies I blame early onset Old-Timers disease
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Water bottle help

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 30 Aug, 2023 12:31 pm

Something like the attached pix
Holding an Imperial quart or so
Army water bottles I have plenty in green and black in the US and British style but what I am chasing is the plastic replica of the British Mk IV enameled steel water bottle.
The one from "The Hub" is close but the neck needs to be in the middle; if possible
Attachments
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG (113.27 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2668.JPG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scrambler » Wed 30 Aug, 2023 2:05 pm

In an attempt to see if I can help, I've tried to work out the shape from your description.

I think you mean Mark VI water bottle- used through the first 1/2 of the 20th century. The IV is round, Boer War era (apparently).

The freezer/drink style plastic bricks were very popular but not now. Your grand kids must be a little older? The one you show looks like a 90s, perhaps naughties Decor item to me.

I'd try Op Shops, particularly ones with a lot of kitchen and school lunch items.

I feel that the ones with central lids were smaller, though. But recollection is not the same as fact.
Scrambler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 30 Aug, 2023 2:24 pm

Yep I did mean MkV1; Finger fart
I might try the square one in Icefests link tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 9:06 am

The new US made square one is just a little too large all around, and not being kidney shaped fits poorly against the hip when worn with it suspended from the webbing belt as with pattern 37 web gear.
I'll keep looking.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 3:13 pm

Aussie Disposals...
Melbourne...Elizabeth Street, where the whole landscape is monstrously congealed by tunnel works for the whatever it is they are making tunnels for. But I know the store is there and trading as my Gerber knife was bought from there. Would recommend you go by train to Southern Cross, then tram it up Bourke Street then walk over Lonsdale Street and you'll be there. Cars are definitely out in Melbourne CBD. I take the bike or e-scooter and to hell with the congestion caused by cars.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Sep, 2023 4:07 pm

I saved money and time by phoning Biggles; the bloke I spoke to knew exactly what I wanted, and they have nothing like it available. Ditto for Mitchells etc.
I have sent an email or three out to various plastic moulding businesses letting them know that there is a niche in the market so something may happen. In the meantime I have washed out a Heinz ketchup bottle
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment